IC Question and Help on Allies T2 moves

• Firstly, I wanted to check the rules on this but I dropped a minor IC in Egypt and my friend has since informed me that it’s an illegal move as I can only put one down where the territory has a value of 3 or more. Is this correct?

Secondly, following on from my last thread, I’ve since played out the full turns and the following has happened.

Germany only has normandy.
    Italy has rest of France.
    UK Navy from 110/111 is intact.
    IC in Egypt
    96/97 Italy Fleet is dead.
    Japan have not declared war but made small inroads in China and moved all fleet to Sz20 (with the exception of what started in Caroline Island)
    UK has activated Greece
    Italy has split force from Ethiopia and has taken Syria.
    Germany have activated Finland
    1 loaded US Transport sits at Iceland

Russia has retreated leaving 1 infantry in all bordering territories.  18 Infantry are in Novogorod and about 13 in Ukraine.
    UK Europe has put an IC in Egypt and put all fleet from 110/111 in Sz119 with Transport/Destroyer from Canada and other Transport.
    UK Pacific hasn’t done much except buy mech infantry and artillery and also put troops on Celebs. ANZAC have taken Java and bought a destroyer.
    US have bought 2 carriers for Pacific and 2 Transports for  Atlantic. Also moved the 2 transports from Pacific and are in Sz64. No German subs are left.

Intention is for Russia to reinforce again with 12 more infantry. Will put 3 in each IC and will start moving some down to NW Persia. Will move some troops up to the frontline to be ready to push Germany.
    UK will buy a Naval Base for Iceland. (Allows Transports from US at Iceland to reach Norway/Denmark/Holland/Normandy in 1 Turn. 2 Mech Infantry would be purchased and deployed in Egypt to assist with Italian force. Unsure on rest. (Have total of 39 to spend)
    US intention is to move Transports to US and load up. Can then reach Gibraltar. Want to buy 2 Carriers to accompany those Transports. From Gibraltar it can reach Italy where my friend has left no troops in Northern Italy

Major concern is ability to defend this fleet. Won’t be able to attack Italy till T4. Alternative is to put it at British Guiana nr Brazil. Uk will need to purchase a naval base and furthest I can reach is Normandy or Tunisia. Less protection required then for the fleet.

We are both novice players so please ear that in mind!

• Why do people still leave 1 Russian Inf in border territories?  If Germany is gonna take it anyway, why not just leave the territory empty?

• @SunTzu7:

Firstly, I wanted to check the rules on this but I dropped a minor IC in Egypt and my friend has since informed me that it’s an illegal move as I can only put one down where the territory has a value of 3 or more. Is this correct?

My rulebook is in our game room so don’t have it at hand but, a minor IC can be built on a territory with a value of 2, a major IC can be built on a territory with a value of 3. There are other rules that go along with that as well. Can’t be built on islands and a couple others. But, Egypt is for sure allowed a Minor IC.

• Was fairly sure that was the case. Think he got confused about the rule about upgrading minor IC’s which require the territory to have a value of 3 or more.

• @BJCard:

Why do people still leave 1 Russian Inf in border territories?  If Germany is gonna take it anyway, why not just leave the territory empty?

So Germany can’t blitz.

• @SunTzu7:

@BJCard:

Why do people still leave 1 Russian Inf in border territories?�  If Germany is gonna take it anyway, why not just leave the territory empty?

So Germany can’t blitz.

Where are they going to blitz to? If they move the tanks too deep in your territory you should be happy and counter attack the tanks.

• @BJCard:

Why do people still leave 1 Russian Inf in border territories?  If Germany is gonna take it anyway, why not just leave the territory empty?

Good question sir, and I’ll tell you why I do it - it puts some level of stress upon your opponent to bring enough forces to handle it… an aircraft, an armor, an atillery, or enough infantry to be sure (3 or more).

It also makes a statement to your opponent: I’m not giving up one scrap of ground without a fight.

It also inevitably leads to a few battles where that one infantry defies the odds and hits a couple enemy units… after all, 2 infantry and a fighter against an infantry is not a done deal by any means (have lost that battle too many times to count)… but one infantry against an empty territory works 100% of the time.

Also, against an Axis player who knows how to use Italy as a can opener for Germany, infantry pickets can mean the difference between life and death on the front.

• I’m not saying never leave a single Infantry in a territory, just not in Baltic States, East Poland, or Bessarabia turn 1.  Germany will take them with overwhelming force either way and at best you can only hope to get 1 or 2 hits from the three infantry whereas you will lose the three infantry.

After the border territories have been taken, then yes I would attempt to prevent the can opener and/or force Germany to take territories more more than 1 Inf.

• I respect your personal choice  :-)  It probably makes good sense from a mathematical perspective, and those 3 infantry will come in handy, yes.

I just can’t pull the trigger on not defending every scrap of land.

• @Stalingradski:

I respect your personal choice  :-)  It probably makes good sense from a mathematical perspective, and those 3 infantry will come in handy, yes.

I just can’t pull the trigger on not defending every scrap of land.

Fair enough.  I used to think that way, but then I find that I roll terribly with a single Russian Infantry- usually I don’t get any hits with the three.

• '12

@BJCard:

Fair enough.  I used to think that way, but then I find that I roll terribly with a single Russian Infantry- usually I don’t get any hits with the three.

Well unless you choose to block with a Tank or a Fighter, the odds favor having the lone defenders simply dying with no hits in return.  Mentally we always assume they should take more enemies out than they do, but probability says otherwise.

• @Eggman:

@BJCard:

Well unless you choose to block with a Tank or a Fighter, the odds favor having the lone defenders simply dying with no hits in return.  Mentally we always assume they should take more enemies out than they do, but probability says otherwise.

Well, then its not a block if they just die.  Ok, I guess its only a block a block if a blitz would exploit something vulnerable.

• against a ge/it combo, it is usually not even a block against blitz

• 1 loaded US Transport sits at Iceland

This transport cannot go here until the US is at war.

Page 37 1940 Europe Rulebook

“While not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the
    Europe map only in sea zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports)
    may also conduct long-range patrols into sea zone 102.”

• Air can go to Greenland… not sure why you would, but you can.

• Concerning 1 inf in bordering territories.

We have some atrocious dice rolls.  I’ve seen 1 RUS inf deny enough GER territory grabs to warrant it.

Air can go to Greenland… not sure why you would, but you can.

Isn’t that close enough to bomb UK if GER takes it?  I guess not, your only landing is Eire or the Europe coast (incl Norway if Ally own).  It is close enough to take out a fleet sitting in 110.

• In theory you could build an airbase and/or navalbase in greenland as well, but I’ve never seen this done, only talked about on the forums.

• '12

@BJCard:

In theory you could build an airbase and/or navalbase in greenland as well, but I’ve never seen this done, only talked about on the forums.

Basically you would do it since you can then get to Scotland in one move, but if Sea Lion doesn’t happen, it was a waste.

• @BJCard:

@Eggman:

@BJCard:

Well, then its not a block if they just die.  Ok, I guess its only a block a block if a blitz would exploit something vulnerable.

I was never a fan of throwing away infantry for no gain.  The only time I block with russia, is to prevent germany from getting NO’s.

• I’m with ghr.  The strength of Russian infantry is in their mass, not left to die in a 33% that they take out an Axis Infantry with them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m