• So the grand strategy of the Germans was to deliver a quick knockout blow to Paris so that the French would surrender, or to defeat them so soundly they would sign an armistice. You went in anticipating an armistice.

However, in this game, I don’t think the CP can win without abiding by the mechanics of the game and instead in the East trying to force Russia to capitulate as soon as possible. Even though Germany had no grand strategy that hinged on a knockout blow to the Russians.

Knowing that you CAN force Russia to the negotiating table changes the dynamics of this game dramatically.

I gues my main point is:
    Can the Central Powers win without forcing Russia to sign an armistice?

• Customizer

Not without the Munich factory they can’t. Seriously.

• They can… but it’ll be supremely difficult without either rail lines or that extra supply center.

• I wonder how effective a German blitz into France would be. Delaying or ignoring Russia, getting Austria Hungary to take Italy, and winning with Rome/Paris VCs. Committing to any sort of major action on the Eastern front would surely destroy this idea; you’ve pretty much got to commit 100 percent to beating down France to have any sort of chance.

• @Flashman:

Not without the Munich factory they can’t. Seriously.

From game tests so far it seems the Allies have a huge upperhand.

A second production center for Germany could even the odds since U.S.A. Can send units to the front faster then Germany…

• The best thing to get this game in balance is to make Italy a Central Power and give US 30 ICPs.

• Customizer

I tried the western push with the Central Powers; I got a large German army into Burgundy (Swiss route) but from there it just couldn’t be reinforced from Berlin quickly enough, and died a horrible death as the Allies took turns to attack it.
    The Munich factory would have balanced this nicely; perhaps unlimited rail would swing things too far the other way.

Mind you, the Allies can move armies around so quickly by sea; something has to balance this.

• Factory in the West(Ruhr) would be my solution.
    It is worth more than most territories(India included) and the same as most capitals, but cannot build an Infantry unit.

• Any original territory worth 4 ipcs or more can produce 4 infantry per turn.

• I guess I’m missing something here, but in my game Germany and Austria-Hungary teamed up to blow away Russia really quickly. Meanwhile Germany built a monster stack on Ruhr that the Allies couldn’t get the upper hand on since they can’t attack as one unit. Meanwhile AH plowed through Italy and outflanked the northern Allied buildup. Took Paris, game over.

• @oztea:

Any original territory worth 4 ipcs or more can produce 4 infantry per turn.

Decent houserule but I think I may tweak it and say it has to be your own territory (one of the ones you started with) and add being allowed to make Artillery guns

• @Flashman:

I tried the western push with the Central Powers; I got a large German army into Burgundy (Swiss route) but from there it just couldn’t be reinforced from Berlin quickly enough, and died a horrible death as the Allies took turns to attack it.
    The Munich factory would have balanced this nicely; perhaps unlimited rail would swing things too far the other way.

Mind you, the Allies can move armies around so quickly by sea; something has to balance this.

Two quick questions- how did Germany’s navy fare after turn 1? And what did AH do? Attack Italy?

• Customizer

The German navy mainly sat at home, although its now shipping unit to Russia.

AH drove into Italy, but again those long supply lines make it difficult to build up an army large enough to take Rome, which the Allies can reinforce by sea.

@MistuhJay:

@Flashman:

Two quick questions- how did Germany’s navy fare after turn 1? And what did AH do? Attack Italy?

• is AH in a position to fund some transports to ship units across to Tuscany?

• Customizer

Not with the British and Italian Mediterranean fleets sitting off Trieste, no.

• I was hopping they moved away lol.

• I agree. Do not build any Transports.
    The Allies can hit you with 4 powers one after another.
    You will lose the Battleship and rest of fleet. Happened to me!
    Buy a Sub or two and hope he has not realised.

• Italiansarecoming:

Thats what I meant by “original” territory. Only your own.
    And infantry only because artillery too would be too powerful.

• Maybe its too early but after 2 games i think axis need a little help.

Maybe a naval setup tweak to give them more time before the Allies take over the sea.

I think if UK can build in India then Germany should be able to build in Munich.

Or maybe i just am too stupid to figure out any good CP strats lol (99% likely)

• @oztea:

Italiansarecoming:

Thats what I meant by “original” territory. Only your own.
    And infantry only because artillery too would be too powerful.

I must have read and skipped the original. Details when skimming sometimes don’t show up.

When you say Infantry only I was thinking if you build one artillery that takes up 2 or 3 of the infantry you could build. So purchases for that territory could be 1 art and 1 inf. And that would be the max

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m