Japan Tactic to help hold off america

• Elven - 10 transports! I like it

I have been saying it for days, but I have a J4 strat written out. I just have to find the time to type out that NOVEL :-D

Economically, two of those transports might be a carrier for me

I got one of those in there too :-o

The only way to win the game of Axis and Allies (other than surrender) is for your opponent to get land units to your capitals/victory cities. The more non-transports and non-land units your opponent is buying, the better. I’ve never seen a victory city taken by a nice looking group of fighters. You have to put boots on the ground

This is soooo true.  I generally try to take the Russians out fast.  Could never justify letting Russia get so huge but you certainly have opened my eyes on the way to go about it.  In our last game the Allies tried to do a heavy transport buy in the atlantic in order to thwart the G1 attack.  Fail…. for all the reasons you stated.  There was some US Navy but not enough.  Whenever more navy was purchased, Germany added a fighter or two.  Always enough to wipe out whatever the UK and US had coming.  Made it impossible to get into Germany.  At the end, Germany had 8 planes (4 fighters, 4 tacs) in W Germany defending.
    By that point Germany and Japan were making around 150 and the allies were at 130 or something and it was clear that there was no way in and not enough money to make something happen.

• I would say that a G4/J4 could work, I just haven’t seen even a G3/J3 work- I’d have to see a league game or at least a non-ranked game to see how it goes.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@BJCard:

I would say that a G4/J4 could work, I just haven’t seen even a G3/J3 work- I’d have to see a league game or at least a non-ranked game to see how it goes.

I’ve been doing some G5 with Egypt in hands of Italy and a German unit in it (South France grab + navy build). On I3, I take the bordering territories and the Germans walk in on G4 without declaring war (they have the option do so so if there is an opportunity). In these cases, Italy is keeping the UK fully busy and the US has long ways to go before impacting the Western Front.

The purchases in initial turns are focused on Navy / Artillery / Infantry, then I add mech as needs / opportunity dictates (to keep the stack strong enough to get closer to Moscow. Once the stack is in Front of Moscow, it’s a matter of strangling the Soviet Union and keep adding air / ground power to prevent landings.

• What are you talking about here Omega?

’ Germans walk in on G4 without declaring war ’

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@BJCard:

What are you talking about here Omega?

Italy declares war I3 and takes Baltic States.

Then, the German stacks moves in on G4 in the friendly territory.

On R4, Soviets declare war against Germany, but need to evacuate Leningrad.

G5, the Germans take Leningrad with a token force and Keep moving East (Belarus).

• @Omega1759:

@BJCard:

G5, the Germans take Leningrad with a token force and Keep moving East (Belarus).

Actually have not thought about this… nice move.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@BJCard:

@Omega1759:

@BJCard:

Actually have not thought about this… nice move.

That strategy works pretty well if Germany goes heavy in the Med early on (and focuses on cheap, 1 move ground units to build a solid stack). You should normally be able to deny the Russian NO on R4 as well.

Russia will be tempted to buy mechanized forces / air forces. It gives them flexibility but at the end of the day you can crush them (see game attached)

• I’ve had the G5 attack done to me by Germany moving into Italian -occupied E Poland, by Infrastructure here on this site. It was sneaky smart…

• G5, even though russia is at war R4

• Ok, G4 then.

• So when you attack Russia on turn 4/5, what army composition do you have?  You likely could be facing 40+ Infantry, 5 art, 2 mech, 2 arm, 2 fighter, 1 tac in Belarus or Bryansk.

• Take a look at the league section, check out any of my games as the Axis in the early turns, and you’ll see the variations on the theme. I’m not pretending I do anything special - it’s just what I do, and it’s effective against almost any counter.

But in general, the composition is all the starting forces, and Italy has taken E Poland on I3. Germany then has the choice to attack in the north (Karelia/Vyborg) and across the front (Baltic States/Bessrabia/mech infantry into anything lightly defended in either Novgorod/Belarus/W Ukraine); or to stack in  E Poland with everything including aircraft and not declare war and collect some extra wheat from their Russain friends  :-)

On turns G2, 3, and 4 I’ve been adding a little fleet and a little air, but mostly bulking up for a long slugfest with Russia… which means purchases I’ve laid out here many times… 6 - 8 infantry, a little artillery, a little mech, and a little armor. But mostly infantry! They’re your best friend in a long battle of attrition, and the strategy fails without them. Basically, you’re beating Russia at what they do best - build and deploy lots of cheap infantry - the difference being, you as Germany have more teeth. Way more teeth  :evil:

I suppose, shooting from the hip and without looking at the board, I’d have around 30 - 36 infantry; 9 artillery or so; 6 - 10 mech; 10 - 12 armor, + starting air minus taranto/UK naval clubbings + the one aircraft per turn I’ve been buying.

A HUGE key to my slugfest strategy with Russia is the role played by Italy… and I mean huge. It’s just critical, period. The crux of it is wisdom I finally gained after many many games. I always viewed Italy in the past as a separate, third nation. I no longer do. I see it as an extension of Germany, and nothing more. And nothing less! I know this might sound like ok, whatever, but I’m telling you, it’s anything but. It was a huge revelation for me. All of my choices now spring from this one critical core philosophy. They are part of the same dance against Russia. Again, there’s no way to go into unit by unit detail… every game is different, but the philosophy remains. If you take the time to check out my Axis league games, you can see it happen right in front of you.

• Fair enough.  I suppose if Italy is helping a lot in Russia, then the Med is lost?

• It could be… but depends almost completely on how the Allies choose to direct their income. It depends on if the UK ran a taranto. It depends on how the UK has chosen to deploy their air power. It depends if Japan holds off to keep the US out of the war.

One thing that I’ve found to be an amazingly successful strategy (used against me and Infrastructure extremely well by Axisplaya/Team Imhotep) is the early grabbing of Gibraltar… and then feeding Italian troops and aircraft to it relentlessly. Then, the only thing that can get into the Med is subs/air from the Atlantic, and whatever the UK can muster from the Indian Ocean etc… but if you can pull it off, enjoy. You can set up a defense so complete, you’ll have the Med to yourself and be able to commit a few ground units a turn to the East Front (as well as a little air power) - just enough to get some economy and can open for larger German armies.

Take a look at an example of this in a league game vs Infrastructure (it is the one where I am listed first) - it is a deep game (turn 17) and we still have a ways to go. The key was my getting into Gibraltar very early and holding it, then turning my attention toward Russia. Please don’t look at the Pacific  :oops:- this is a game he’ll probably win, regardless of the European board outlook, because I made a few errors very early with Japan, plus he’s a great player.

• Here is a game I am playing against an “experienced player”.  As I said in this post, Japan can be making near 70 ipcs on turn 4 with a J4 strategy.  In this game I just happened to make 73.  If you choose to look at the game you will notice that America is left with a decision.

Take one TT to the islands with 1 inf 1 art and hope to win a 50/50 battle.
    Take more from Hawaii and lose leverage towards the islands.  (I made the Carolines pretty hard to get)

Any small amount of navy he brings I could get with my guys in Japan.  If he brings a larger navy, that is navy that is not trying to take islands back.

I have done this strategy 3 times in triple a now and all three I had 70 or more on J4.  I even lost 9 planes on UK1 in kwangsi when I had a 94% chance to win the battle.  Helped me change the strat a little bit:)

• Customizer

Hey Stalingradski,
    I am curious about your use of Italian troops & equipment against Russia. I have heard of the Italians “can opening” in Russia for Germany but I never thought they had enough to do that. In our games, whomever plays Russia tends to stack heavy along the border territories so there usually isn’t enough Italian units available to take one of the border territories, much less drive any farther into Russia.
    Also, do you simply forget about the troops in Africa? Do you use whatever transports you have to evacuate the Tobruk troops back to Europe then let the rest get spammed by England?
    Do you try going back after Africa/the Med after taking Moscow? It seems to me that Italy won’t be making much money, although things will seem great for Germany.

• knp7765,

I am actually the one playing as the axis.  I use the Italians to can open if the opportunity arises.  We are on turn 5 right now.  The only opportunity I had was to take Ukraine but I didn’t do it cause I always want Germany to have it.

To answer the Africa question.  Depending on how many transports are left after UK1 then yes, I will pull the troops out of Africa.  Unless there is a concerted effort to keep Cairo (Germany helping) I have found that I can never keep it for more than a round or so using up a lot of resources to do so.  I prefer to help Germany (maybe get a can opener) and once I let America in, I shore up the homeland including France in order to allow Germany to spend all resources in Russia.  My German play in this game left a bit to be desired in the purchasing department.  I also have been hit A LOT by the Russian snipers….er… infantry.  On G6, I should be making about 70 ipcs if all goes as according to plan.  That has not been the case so far.  Japan is still very strong at about 74 ipcs but on the US next turn they will be able to take back some stuff.

Stal has been a great challenge and really just confirmed to me that there isn’t much you can do to stop Japan from collecting that on J4.  I suppose if UK/Anzac really stacked Java then it may take till turn 5.  This was just the perfect game to show how distracting the Aleutian/Alaska thing is.  I think I chose the Aleutians on this particular turn because it required another turn before he could get it back without using all his transports from Hawaii.  So Japan made 73 while America made 67.

• @elevenjerk:

I have done this strategy 3 times in triple a now and all three I had 70 or more on J4.  I even lost 9 planes on UK1 in kwangsi when I had a 94% chance to win the battle.  Helped me change the strat a little bit:)

Oh yeah those 9 planes hurt you a bit ;)

• Looks like china made a few mistakes.  And Uk chose to be passive in the pac.  US should of been in Queens a turn ago and UK should of had a factory in persia producing units by this time.  I am suprised russia did not try to position himself to take Iraq.  At least italy will have no fleet after this next turn.  And Germany has been stalled in russia for a little bit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m