Japan Tactic to help hold off america

• knp,

yes, if they stacked up an island it would probably take a turn more.  In my strategy, I have about 9 transports by J4.  I think 3 of which would be in Japan.  That would take a lot of resources for UK/Anzac to do that as well.

• I never said his strat will never work, I just have doubts that it is a broken/op strat like he was saying.  I am going to try to pick up my game with Aus this week.You are right, I can be very condescending.  I tend to be very competitive, which leads to me being overly critical about other people’s play style.  I understand that it can be and it has been taken as very rude/offensive to you and likely a good number of others.  I am sorry.

That being said, your last post seemed like that you were assuming that since I have an unfinished game with someone, the game never really started since it was just after japan’s turn 1, that my voice does not count.  I believe that the time, effort, and money that I have put in this game more than makes up for a game that I have delayed (I tend to be lazy when there is a small technical issue that needs fixing).  But then again, anyone can claim anything on the internet, so we really won’t know much about each other unless we played against one another (you never even accepted my challenge anyway when I tried to get you on TripleA).

I understand that you do not consider yourself a star, I do not consider myself one either.  I consider myself well experienced, not the best.  I have not seen you play, yet alone played against you, so I don’t know if your a good player overall or just good in your own clique of friends.  All I know is from your posts(as well as others), claiming good/strong strategies to which I am very skeptical on.  I never challenged your personal skill or ability, all I wanted was to see this strategy in action because I was still skeptical.  I understand that you like to play just for fun, which is perfectly fine.  Just when you post strategies on one of the main websites where many players from all walks of life congregate, don’t be surprised that some people who do not play the game just for fun criticize those strategies.

• @ghr2:

I never said his strat will never work, I just have doubts that it is a broken/op strat like he was saying.  I am going to try to pick up my game with Aus this week.You are right, I can be very condescending.  I tend to be very competitive, which leads to me being overly critical about other people’s play style.  I understand that it can be and it has been taken as very rude/offensive to you and likely a good number of others.  I am sorry.

That being said, your last post seemed like that you were assuming that since I have an unfinished game with someone, the game never really started since it was just after japan’s turn 1, that my voice does not count.  I believe that the time, effort, and money that I have put in this game more than makes up for a game that I have delayed (I tend to be lazy when there is a small technical issue that needs fixing).  But then again, anyone can claim anything on the internet, so we really won’t know much about each other unless we played against one another (you never even accepted my challenge anyway when I tried to get you on TripleA).

I understand that you do not consider yourself a star, I do not consider myself one either.  I consider myself well experienced, not the best.  I have not seen you play, yet alone played against you, so I don’t know if your a good player overall or just good in your own clique of friends.  All I know is from your posts(as well as others), claiming good/strong strategies to which I am very skeptical on.  I never challenged your personal skill or ability, all I wanted was to see this strategy in action because I was still skeptical.  I understand that you like to play just for fun, which is perfectly fine.  Just when you post strategies on one of the main websites where many players from all walks of life congregate, don’t be surprised that some people who do not play the game just for fun criticize those strategies.

Wow kudos for acknowledging a fault of yours, so rare to see people take responsibility for them these days.

• '15 '14

@BJCard:

If its only worth 5 IPCs and Japan loses a Transport, then the US hardly has to fight for it.

Japan can only block combat movement, so the US can kill your Destroyers with air from Hawaii and then move a fleet to Japan SZ (and have air land on the carrier after it moves in non-combat).  This of course, is if Japan cannot destroy the US fleet outright.

It could be a good move if the US’ fleet is down at Queensland and does not have much to fight Japan in the North.

Personally though, Japan can not compete with a determined US unless they control Asia and the DEI.  To do that, their resources need to be there, not lost in the Aleutians.

I can just absolutely second that. The distraction hurts Japan more than US!

• JapanDOWRound1Fan ,

Did you happen to look at the game that I posted?  I agree that there a bunch of ways to stop it.  The problem is that America has to use resources to stop it.  If they don’t, then you send the guys out there and they have to deal with it.  In the game I posted, Japan made 73 and the US made 67.

In this game it cost me 12 ipcs to send a transport and two guys out to the Aleutians.  US loses 5 ipcs that turn for missing out on a NO bonus.  They have to spend 12 ipcs on a bomber and have to use a valuable transport with an infantry and art to go take it back.  I in turn take the us transport out with a sub.  So to catch up here

Japan  18 ipcs  (1 tt, 2 inf, 1 sub)
    US  31 ipcs  -5 ipcs for NO bonus, 1 tt, 1 inf, 1 art, 1 bomber

Granted, the bomber does not get lost and can be used at a later time.  The art is useless sitting there on an island.  Transport is gone cause I took it out with a sub.  And now in order for the us to take out the sub, they have to send more stuff down there.  In the current game he sent 2 destroyers out to get that one sub and the sub survived killing both destroyers…… LUCKY!!!  The main point being… that is 2 destroyers that were not combining with the US navy and Anzac navy (16 more ipcs).

I played another game where the guy used a destroyer to stop it.  I sent one sub out there for a 50/50 battle and lost.  I did not send anybody out there in that game.  I am not saying this is something that happens every game or will win the game for you.  I am just saying that if the opportunity comes up to do this, maybe you should try it and see how the US responds and how it helps out the rest of your Japan play.

I can also understand that this might not make sense because of your name.  If Japan declares on turn 1 then you may never have a good opportunity to do this tactic:)

• '15 '14

Hey elevenjerk,

checked the saved game (not sure if I did yet or not). JP is doing very well there, good job! RU looks a bit strange, I don’t exactly get why they have so few units^^
    First of all, even if I am nicked DOW1 fan does not mean I think its best nor that I always do it. In my latest game I die DOW J3:) and so far I even think it is superior.

Regarding the game I now agree that the drop should not be a super big waste for JP. However I guess I would simple go with DD and TT and drop Inf plus Art –> I can avoid the -5 income. the JP transport is gone for sure and the US transport survives the Sub attack in 60% of the cases. So yes, this drop is kind of a nuisance but you also need to take into consideration what these units could have done otherwise. you e.g. need every ground unit to go for India.

In the end I take back that it is a big waste for Japan but I still think that it somehow distracts to valuable units to take India ASAP:)

• '15 '14

Side question to your game. Why did German keep 3 subs in SZ 125?
    Why 3? one is enough
    Why and after archangel is German controlled?

–> These subs could give UK a headache!

And what happened in the med the first 3 rounds? peace agreement? :)

• JP is doing very well there, good job! RU looks a bit strange, I don’t exactly get why they have so few units^^

Thank you!  I attack G1 so I take out 7 inf on the first turn.  Generally there is a counter attack so I take out a few more.  This game has ended up being brutal in Russia.  He has hit a lot of my guys.

Regarding the game I now agree that the drop should not be a super big waste for JP. However I guess I would simple go with DD and TT and drop Inf plus Art –> I can avoid the -5 income. the JP transport is gone for sure and the US transport survives the Sub attack in 60% of the cases

You need to look at what I have in sz 6.  I can attack that destroyer and transport with 1 DD and my fighters and take them both out pretty easy.  Also, that is pretty risky to go 2@2 against 2@2.  Later in this game I took an inf and art against just an art in order to get my DEI bonus and lost both to his none.

you also need to take into consideration what these units could have done otherwise. you e.g. need every ground unit to go for India.

Actually taking India wasn’t my initial goal.  I generally try to start getting the ipc edge and protect it till I can somewhat fortify.  It is really hard if someone goes all pacific with the US.  That’s when you hope Germany is doing their job and can come help.

Side question to your game. Why did German keep 3 subs in SZ 125?
    Why 3? one is enough

2 had come from sz 123  (They had taken out the dd and tt in 106 on G1.  I suppose I could have moved one of them but I didn’t see much else to do with that guy.  He has a destroyer down by Gibraltar so if I put them in 109 they get wiped out.  I actually still have those subs and it is turn 8 or something.

Why and after archangel is German controlled?

I just took archangel over that turn and there was a chance of losing it back to him.

And what happened in the med the first 3 rounds? peace agreement? Smiley

He did not take out my Italian navy but had all of his sitting in sz 92.  You have to remember it is a G1 so I couldn’t take out all his navy.  sz 110 navy was not attacked.  He joined them up and Italy did not get the med bonus until turn 8 or so.

On a side note……

I don’t know if you read the whole thread but, the guy I play F2F with, we always play till someone surrenders.  Therefore we have to be pretty good about making sure all the axis powers stay strong.  We just played our first game with VC.  We rather enjoy having to play both sides of the board instead of just one.  Not saying that is always what happens with the VC rule but you certainly can win even if one side of the board is really bad but the other is really good.

• '15 '14

thanks again for further clarification, makes all sense to me!:-)

• thanks again for further clarification, makes all sense to me!:-)

No Problem.

To Ghr2,

Appreciate the apology.  Takes a lot to admit faults one might have.  I just think you should use a little more tact when posting.  Just because you are super competitive doesn’t give you the freedom to be rude/offensive.  I am competitive as well.  I just tend to lean towards giving people the benefit of the doubt. I may not agree with a strategy but I will wait to see it before I start saying it won’t work.  You have great ideas on counters to situations, you just word them bad.

Regarding me playing you.  I did PM you in order to play a game when I had no idea how to use triple a.  I just needed someone to help me through the initial process and I had hoped that would be you.  What I got was short, nondescript replies implying that I was an idiot for not knowing how to use the program.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m