• Anyone found a way to stop the axis with a successful G1 attack.  Me and a buddy have played 3 test games with the G1 J4 DOW and the only unsuccessful game for the axis was when he botched the G1 attack (failed to buy a transport to protect Norway in the case that the only german transport was taken out).  With that happening and getting diced hard most of the game they just barely lost.  Tough to beat someone who rolls 50% on twos.

The last game Russia went down on G6 with america spending most of its money on the Atlantic side but was only in the game for two turns essentially.  By that point Germany and Japan were making the same amount as america.  In previous game US spent mostly Pacific and Japan just held them off while Germany changed the worlds language to German.  Seems like a pretty tough task for the Allies

• punch your opponent in the face with the blunt end of an axe?

• That sounds close to the best way to counter it so far!  Thanks for the insight:)

• Bid for Allies.  The Axis have a huge advantage.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

If Germany is going all in on Barbarosa UK should be able to take control of North Africa and the Mediterranean. They could afford to plop an IC in Egypt to funnel units to the Caucasus and even get on in Iraq or Persia.

• @General:

If Germany is going all in on Barbarosa UK should be able to take control of North Africa and the Mediterranean. They could afford to plop an IC in Egypt to funnel units to the Caucasus and even get on in Iraq or Persia.

True, but may be a moot point if Germany takes all of Russia.  It will be a battle for Cairo.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Yeah, it’s an uphill battle. At least with J4 UK Pacific and Anzac can sweep up DEI so some units from India could also head west.

• @General:

Yeah, it’s an uphill battle. At least with J4 UK Pacific and Anzac can sweep up DEI so some units from India could also head west.

Its even worse with a G1:J1 or G1:J2.  J4 is really an ‘all-in’ on the Europe map.

• J4 is really an ‘all-in’ on the Europe map.

I disagree.  Japan makes 42 ipc after turn 1 taking siberia and Far East along with the standard China territories. 10 less than the US.  Turn 2 they can make up to 45 only 7 less than the US.  Turn 3 about the same but US gets to declare war and make 77. Turn 4, if you plan right, can take all the islands along with Kwantung, Malaya, and FIC.  That puts them to just under 70 and knock the us down to 70 or 72 if they take Brazil.  So there is only one turn where us makes a significant amount of money more than japan makes but they don’t get to annoy Germany in any way until turn 5.  Calcutta has some dudes in it but they go from making somewhere in the 20’s to 6 or 7 on turn 4.

• Insert Quote

When Japan has 4 AC and 10 transports, shipping any thing west is certain doom for Calcutta.  Even when you keep everyone in calcutta they will still probably get taken over.

Anzac can put guys in the DEI if they want to leave everything open.  With correct placement of Japanese navy and transports it threatens Anzac enough for them to spend money on protecting the homefront.  Anzac had Java and Dutch New Guinea, UK had Celebs and Sumatra.  None of it mattered when Japan decided to take over the islands.  You waste too many guys and transports on putting more people on the islands it turns out to be pretty ill fated.

• If you wait until J4 to attack, India will make 21 IPCs turn 1 (from Sumatra), 24 IPCs turn 2 (from Sumatra and Celebes), 24 IPCs turn 3…

So, India could potentially have +23 Infantry if you attacked it turn 4, this of course is if they don’t attack Japan earlier.

• well, india does not always go for celebs, sometimes anzac is in a better position for it and the india tranny goes towards middle east.

• @ghr2:

well, india does not always go for celebs, sometimes anzac is in a better position for it and the india tranny goes towards middle east.

This is true, depends on who’s playing.  I for one enjoy having as much money for India as possible; especially if I feel that Japan is gunning for India- a couple turns after Japan declares war, India is down to building 1 or 2 inf/turn (with sub convoys).

• I like having the 7 ipc transport home safe and ready to be used which more than makes up for celebs which u would only have for 1, maybe 2 turns at best in a normal game.  Anzac can really use the cash to help build a navy to combine with the americans.  The idea is that if Japan is gonna wait until J4, it really does not make a difference if india takes celebs or not, india will still be huge, and almost unbreakable.  The transport will do a lot more good against Iraq and italy or can make help reclaim some islands later.  Since the allied player never really knows when Japan will declare until Japan makes it dead obvious or has already declared, I find it a lot more practical for UK to run the transport back, and anzac to take both DNG and celebs turn 2.

• @ghr2:

I like having the 7 ipc transport home safe and ready to be used which more than makes up for celebs which u would only have for 1, maybe 2 turns at best in a normal game.  Anzac can really use the cash to help build a navy to combine with the americans.  The idea is that if Japan is gonna wait until J4, it really does not make a difference if india takes celebs or not, india will still be huge, and almost unbreakable.  The transport will do a lot more good against Iraq and italy or can make help reclaim some islands later.  Since the allied player never really knows when Japan will declare until Japan makes it dead obvious or has already declared, I find it a lot more practical for UK to run the transport back, and anzac to take both DNG and celebs turn 2.

That requires a 1st turn Transport buy for ANZAC.  But I like your reasoning.  Not a bad plan, but I rarely get a player who waits past Japan 2 to attack nowadays.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If you do a G1 with tank/mech builds you can hold Belarus on G3.  Now suppose Japan were to build 2 bombers J1, then an airbase in Chahar J2.  They could SBR Moscow and land in Belarus as early as round 3.  Do it again round 4.  Moscow falls G6.

• @variance:

If you do a G1 with tank/mech builds you can hold Belarus on G3.  Now suppose Japan were to build 2 bombers J1, then an airbase in Chahar J2.  They could SBR Moscow and land in Belarus as early as round 3.  Do it again round 4.  Moscow falls G6.

This could definitely help.  Could hurt on the Pacific board, but could help. Have not seen this done yet.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

me neither.  just an idea.

• G1 attack - it becomes a psychological game rather than just a units and dice game. As a Russian player you need to reperceive what your role is. Instead of thinking “I have to hold out and if Moscow falls I’m doomed and all is lost” you have to instead think “how can I make life most miserable for the Axis while I set up long term economic advantages on the perimeter”.

Of course, you don’t have to really say those words.  :-)

Russia will fall. Get used to it. It’s part of this game. Good Allied players recognize that Russia falling is precisely when the real game begins.

Just having that mindset can mean everything.

• Another way to look at it is the ying-yang principle - being aware of balance.

If your German opponent is buying all expensive units, like mech infantry, armor, and bombers, then what do they not have? Lots of cheap infantry.

What can the Allies do then to counter that? Create the structures needed to get lots of cheap infantry into the middle of the board. 5 armor and a couple aircraft are an expensive way to kill a stack of 10 infantry  :-D

Is your opponent going north with all their expensive mech units? Be strong south. They go south? Be strong north. Stretch them out. They aren’t defending the flanks with their headlong strike toward Moscow? Attack the flanks. Not building enough navy and fighters? Set up a navy-killing structure in the Atlantic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m