What exactly are tanks good for?

• I thought a tank can soak up 1 infantry hit-  if there are 3 tanks and 1 infantry, it only soaks up 1 hit since there is 1 infantry?

• Tanks can’t absorb a hit when coming out of a transport.

• Why not, Einstein ?

• @Razor:

Why not, Einstein ?

Thought Larry made that clear- because they were being beached or transported ashore or something.  ::looking in rulebook::

• My mistake, page 22, tanks can not nullify a hit from the preemptive artillery barrage, but can nullify hits in the following combat as normal.

• @oztea:

My mistake, page 22, tanks can not nullify a hit from the preemptive artillery barrage, but can nullify hits in the following combat as normal.

Got it. Thanks.

• Customizer

In my next game I will move tank production forward:

UK can build tanks turn 2, they go into action turn 3 (1916)

Everyone else can copy the technology and build tanks turn 3, into action turn 4 (1917)

• @Flashman:

Everyone else can copy the technology and build tanks turn 3, into action turn 4 (1917)

It sounds like the Allies already have the advantage in this game, why do you want to make the advantage a little bigger?

• @BJCard:

@Flashman:

It sounds like the Allies already have the advantage in this game, why do you want to make the advantage a little bigger?

From turn 3 on you can use black German Infantry of AA40 to simulate stormtroopers with steelhelmets that attack on 3

• On turn 30  you can Use German tiger tanks to represent the superior German technology

• @italiansarecoming:

On turn 30  you can Use German tiger tanks to represent the superior German technology

On turn 100 the US gets the Atomic Bomb and by default wins the game, so the CPs are on the clock!>

• @Imperious:

They negate hits on your units

Thats it - but I ran the numbers through a lil simulation - 2 infantry are better even if one is lost immediately…

• Not all units are supposed to be equal.

Just make them move 2 spaces. Changing the battle board makes the game more messed up.

Moving faster is a value or changing it so the tank soaks up two infantry ( in some cases, depends on where the infantry are in the battleboard)

• Customizer

I would avoid making them move 2 at all costs…it makes absolutely no historical sense, as infantry could outpace tanks while walking…(that’s when the tanks would actually run)

Either making them cheaper or making them soak up more hits is your best bet.

• @ossel:

I would avoid making them move 2 at all costs…it makes absolutely no historical sense, as infantry could outpace tanks while walking…(that’s when the tanks would actually run)

Either making them cheaper or making them soak up more hits is your best bet.

Or allow them to attack at a 3 with air superiority?

• Well to me these “tanks” are also armored cars and anything motorized, since the game has no pieces for them.

In the Great War, nations did have armored cars grouped into large units.

This mobility should be modeled.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=452

• What if, once you reached a threshold number of tanks on attack (say 3) you can make combat last an extra round.  Or for every 3 tanks on attack you can make it last an extra round each.  This would symbolize the tanks ability to make a breakthrough when amassed.

• That would be an interesting rule that meshes with the level of complexity already in the system.  It could be as simple as “If attacker has more tanks than defender, attacker can choose to fight an extra round” or something similar.

• Customizer

@Cyprian:

What if, once you reached a threshold number of tanks on attack (say 3) you can make combat last an extra round.  Or for every 3 tanks on attack you can make it last an extra round each.  This would symbolize the tanks ability to make a breakthrough when amassed.

Awesome idea. This would make them absolutely essential for breaking through those late game stacks.

• Customizer

It is a neat idea.

My preference (if tanks are indeed under powered) is simply to have each artillery promote an infantry and a tank.

Thank goodness tanks don’t deflect hits from artillery when coming ashore, they’d soon become “beach assault buggies”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m