What exactly are tanks good for?

• I found out what tanks are good for:
    When you have a stack that will do some attacking but won’t get attacked back.

Lets say Germany is marching into France with 20 inf, and 20 art. France has 35 infantry.
    That is where you want tanks. Because after you contest the territory with 35 inf, on their turn they won’t dare roll to attack. Therefore your tanks defending at 1 is irrelevant.

Tanks are to break an all infantry defensive stalemate.
    If an opponent starts buying all infantry expecting only to defend but not attack, they are asking to get attacked by tanks.

I guess tanks exist so defender nations still have to buy arty and not all infantry.

• @oztea:

I found out what tanks are good for:
    When you have a stack that will do some attacking but won’t get attacked back.

Lets say Germany is marching into France with 20 inf, and 20 art. France has 35 infantry.
    That is where you want tanks. Because after you contest the territory with 35 inf, on their turn they won’t dare roll to attack. Therefore your tanks defending at 1 is irrelevant.

Tanks are to break an all infantry defensive stalemate.
    If an opponent starts buying all infantry expecting only to defend but not attack, they are asking to get attacked by tanks.

I guess tanks exist so defender nations still have to buy arty and not all infantry.

I kinda think defenders would want to buy artillery anyways, since if they get air supremacy (which is much easier on defense to do), they get huge arty rolls.

• The change I was considering was each tank reducing 1 inf to a defense of 1. After that, if still not used, I would reduce cost by 1.

• I think if your plan is to just hold the line 30 ipcs for 10 infantry is better than say: 4 infantry, 3 artillery and a fighter.

30/6 on defense vs 26/6 on defense
    All infantry is better than defensive air superiority I feel.
    But all infantry can’t attack.

• I was mainly with France in mind, where other powers’ fighters can give them air supremacy on defense.

• Inf is ALWAYS better at defending than art, even with air.
    3 defence for 3IPC > 4 defence for IPC
    -> more units

If you need transports to get you units to the front it may be a little bit different…

• That’s not strictly true (outside of LL), especially since combat last only 1 round per turn.

3 artillery cannot do 4 hits in 1 round, sure, but they end up with 0 hits less often than 4 inf would, and so on down the line.

• Well tanks are good for attacking infantry only stacks because they can’t shoot back.

• @oztea:

Well tanks are good for attacking infantry only stacks because they can’t shoot back.

That isn’t strictly accurate- Thought tanks could negate a hit on another unit, but you must always have at least one Infantry in every battle/stack, so if you just have an Infantry and Tank, 2 hits would kill the tank, 3 hits kills both, correct?

• When I say stacks I mean more than 10 units on each side.

A force that plans on attacking in a fashion that puts the enemy in a position where them attacking on their turn would be bad because they have too few artillery for offensive support.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m