Porting 1914 rules to 1940 game

• @Flashman:

Build loads of destroyers to soak up mine hits.

If you read the 1914 OOB rules, one die is rolled to each specific ship, just as the fighters cant be fodder for the Bombers during AA-gun rolls.

• Customizer

Yes, I should have said hits in battle. But I also had in mind that destroyers have a special mine sweeping role.

• Yes, and I should have guessed so.

But then we would need a plastic piece seamine, like the one Table Tactics used to sell, and remove the mine after the Destroyer sweeped it.

• Customizer

HBG sell acrylic sea mine tokens:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Naval-Mines-Marker-Acrylic_p_774.html

But we needs them in both blue and red

• @wove100:

Given the more potent roll played by tanks in WWII and the more sweeping offensives, perhaps 2-4 rounds of combat?

To reflect this, I would give tanks the power to break out into hostile territories on subsequent turns (instead of being limited to movements to friendly territories).

That would help us get our blitzkrieg on, while keeping the unique ‘one-round’ combat structure intact (not many battles go beyond two or three rounds in regular A&A, actually).

• @BJCard:

Well, the Russians will likely have few artillery and tanks, so if Germany attacked the Russian stack with all its air (5 Fighters, 5 Tac Bombers, 2 Str Bombers) they could kill all the armor in the first round, greatly diminishing the Russian’s defensive capability (or if the Russians were on offence, the German air could kill its armor AND artillery, effectively neutering the attack and dooming Russia).

With the US- Japan starts with 11 Fighters, 8 Tac Bombers, and 2 Str Bombers, a much bigger Navy than the US with its measly 5 Fighters, 1 Tac Bomber, and 1 Str Bomber.  And that’s if the US doesn’t send any aircraft to London.  Just in aircraft alone, the US would need 149 IPCs to achieve parity- or the first 3 full purchases (if Japan did a J3).  No cheap DD/SS fodder- no new carriers (Japan has 3 to the US’s 1).  Japan will always have air superiority and thus always target high value ships (BBs/CVs) first.

I’m not sure where you get that the Allies have the advantage in Global 1940- all the bids are to the Allies (go look at the games being PBF), and many times the bid isn’t even enough.

If you wanted to use the air supremacy rules, it could be good, but you’d have to change the entire setup to reflect the power aircraft now have.

The obvious Allied counter would be to prioritize aircraft production, like in the real war (see: Battle of Britain, Battle of Midway, Battle of Kursk), which isn’t as daunting as your projections would indicate.

Because planes can’t land in newly-conquered territories, each side could use their air units to cherry-pick the other fellow’s best offensive units on their respective turns, resulting in a mutual neutering until somebody finally broke through.

It would be a bloodbath in the sky for the first few rounds, but the Allies have the economic clout to pull off air superiority in the long run… and with this targeting prize, air superiority would really mean something worth fighting for, for a change.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m