• Customizer

Assume for the sake of argument that IL is correct and that next year we’ll see an “Anniversary” or “Second Editon” of 1914, with a proof read rulebook and a few new units. Assume also that the board remains the same.

How many of us would shell out the same money (or more) again for the extra stuff, having somewhat overpayed for the First Edition?

I’ve ordered because I like the basic concept and rules, and can iron out a few things I dislike with houserules. I accept the rather steep asking price because I acknowledge the cost involved in developing a new line of A&A games.

But, just for once, I’d like to see WOTC reward those of us who invested in the game by releasing all the updated materials in an expansion pack, rather than forcing us to buy the whole game again.

Even if they produce an entire range of nation specific units for the game, I’d still like the option of buying only the new stuff I need to update.

This has been done recently with the updated War of the Ring, even though it is getting on for a decade since the first edition was released.

Or am I crying in the dark here?

• An expansion pack of new sculpts would be my clear preference.  Buying a full game to get new sculpts would be my second choice…but it would depend on how much of a sculpt set upgrade / expansion the new game would deliver.  If it’s just a few new pieces, I might not bother.

Frankly, though, I’d be suprised if WotC ever sold expansion packs for its A&A board games.  I suspect their operating philosophy is the same one which IL stated in his “The Great War 1914-1918: Clash of Empires” thread: “Our goal is to sell games, not parts.”

• Customizer

Yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath. But really, I don’t mind paying a little extra for a full game, that gives me extra components I can use in other games. And just think, Flashman, you could draw little railroad lines all over your old board!  :-D

• That is precisely why I haven’t bought the 2nd edition of the 1940 games (I own all other A&A games).  They are pricey and you get a couple new sculpts and new rules.  Worth over $110?  I think not.  I can play the 1st edition with the downloaded rules/setup no problem.  I don’t need an extra map or 1000 more sculpts.

Now, if they had an ‘expansion’ with the new rule books and sculpts for, say, $20 (or even $30-$40) I would buy that.

Not sure why they wouldn’t want to make money that way…

• Customizer

If it gets to that stage I’ll be producing my own board from scratch, with all the historical innacuracies corrected, and a colour scheme that doesn’t burn my retinas out.

I’d really only want the new unit types, principally bombers and destroyers; I don’t care if they’re all the same sculpt as long as they’re distinct from the other units.

I’m not paying another £75 for that, and a load of stuff I already have and couldn’t even honestly bung on Ebay. It’d be less painful to fashion my own Gothas out of matchsticks. I won’t tell you what I’ll be using for Zeppelins.

• I bought the 1940 second edition because of new rules AND new pieces.

1914 would require that as well for a worthy 2nd edition.

• The only second edition I grabbed was 1942 cuz it was a  nice upgrade…but as far as g40 2nd edtn’s I      downloaded the rules,picked up the new setup boxes on ebay for 9 bucks and just ordered any of the new sculpts I liked from HBG and I had everything I wanted for well less then half the price of just one of the games…map not changing was key in desicion for me & those cool new chips werent in it either

• @tytyboogie:

The only second edition I grabbed was 1942 cuz it was a  nice upgrade…but as far as g40 2nd edtn’s I      downloaded the rules,picked up the new setup boxes on ebay for 9 bucks and just ordered any of the new sculpts I liked from HBG and I had everything I wanted for well less then half the price of just one of the games…map not changing was key in desicion for me & those cool new chips werent in it either

Same as you. I bought 1942 2nd edition because it was the ‘base’ game and had a lot of upgrades (and only $42 on CSI).

• Customizer

@Flashman:

I won’t tell you what I’ll be using for Zeppelins.

:?

• It’s not a terribly bold claim to think there will be a redux somewhat soon; it’s been the trend lately and it gets a lot of money compared to the work involved in making the first edition.

That said, I still can’t see it being justified that this game retails for ($35?) more than AA1942-2e. You make a good point; it’s not like we are paying $100+ retail for a game that is worth $0, we are actually paying for a decent game, just not near worth the retail that global was it seems.

• WOTC does not make “expansion packs” from AA games.

It just will be a new edition of 1914 to justify the sales and with it they spend a set amount to get people to be interested enough to buy ANOTHER GAME. This is where they include extras like new sculpts and rule fixes, etc.

consider 1940, 1942. Thats how they do it.

• @Imperious:

WOTC does not make “expansion packs” from AA games.

It just will be a new edition of 1914 to justify the sales and with it they spend a set amount to get people to be interested enough to buy ANOTHER GAME. This is where they include extras like new sculpts and rule fixes, etc.

I understand what you are saying- games with 2nd editions (well, those produced within a couple years of 1st edition release) are a new addition to the A&A franchise.  Every other game seems to be standalone.  Even Original -> Revised -> 1942 1st Edition all had significant changes at 5+ year intervals.

Besides, even if they will never do it, I still would buy an expansion pack.

• @BJCard:

That is precisely why I haven’t bought the 2nd edition of the 1940 games (I own all other A&A games).  They are pricey and you get a couple new sculpts and new rules.  Worth over $110?  I think not.  I can play the 1st edition with the downloaded rules/setup no problem.  I don’t need an extra map or 1000 more sculpts.

Now, if they had an ‘expansion’ with the new rule books and sculpts for, say, $20 (or even $30-$40) I would buy that.

Not sure why they wouldn’t want to make money that way…

I completely agree with you, I just use the downloaded rule book for Global 1940. If they do release a “revised” or “Anniversary” edition next year with unique sculpts for all the nations than

I’m not buying it, I’ll look on Ebay or somewhere else to order the sculpts themselves because that is what I want and I’m not going to pay extra for something that I already have. I

haven’t bought any sculpts for Global 1940 because the ANZAC infantry just looks comically disproportionate to the other infantry and I don’t think that ANZAC needed entirely unique

sculpts. I haven’t bought Italian sculpts because I can’t stand the idea of conquering North Africa with (shudder…) Fiats!

• In all honesty this looks like it will suit me just fine and a second addition would have to add some pretty epic stuff for me to consider. I am super pumped for this game even if fidning people to play will be a beast.

• @Imperious:

WOTC does not make “expansion packs” from AA games.
    It’s too bad they don’t but they can make more money this way.

It just will be a new edition of 1914 to justify the sales and with it they spend a set amount to get people to be interested enough to buy ANOTHER GAME. This is where they include extras like new sculpts and rule fixes extc

History will repeat itself on this one as it did on the games IL listed.

• I think they have made good progress with the WWII Global boards (1942.1 not included), and as has been mentioned there have been major differences from one to the next (I think the new board was probably the best selling point of 1942.2).
    I have E40 and would never pay the same for Italian pieces and new set up rules. You dont even need to download them, they are on Google images.
    After 1940.2 I am sure 1914.2 will be on the way as soon as feedback from players starts arriving, so it comes to the point, do you accept the game as it is, or wait and buy the second edition if you are not entirely satisfied?

• I’ll get this version, but I don’t care if a second one has gas and cavalry, costs $35 and comes with a free copy of The First World War(something the designers of this game probably should’ve read, incidentally). I won’t buy it.

• TripleA '12

I personally bought 2 copies of Spring 1942 to get extra pieces, because they were cheap, and then bought 1 copy of 1942 2nd Edition for all the nice upgrades. I am very happy with '42 2nd Ed.

I skipped the original Eur & Pac 1940 games but later bought 1 copy of each of the 2nd Editions, so no major financial cost to me there. I’m very glad I did that, and I’m very happy with the 2d Editions (and Global) now.

As for 1914, I would prefer to get a 2nd Edition instead of the 1st (if a 2nd is ever released). I don’t mind paying for the whole game as long as I hadn’t already bought the 1st Ed. I am disappointed by the lack of individual unit sculpts for the rest of the units, although the Infantry look nice. I’m in no hurry to purchase 1914; I will wait and see what people think of the game once they’ve got it in their hands and played a few times first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m