• Why not take it back?

• @variance:

@HipHopBernie:

Russia:
    Is it better to let the Germans take Ukraine or Novgorod and then to counter attack? This way, your stack of russian infantry don’t get hit by all the german planes.

Yes, but often best to just strafe them rather than liberate those territories.

Obviously only strafe a territory if you have a sizable stack of tanks/fighters.  Otherwise you may take more losses than you give…

You strafe a territory if you can deal more damage than you receive, thus depriving the Germans of Infantry on the front that aren’t easily replaced.

• Well ok, but i don’t really see it happening for the Russians. Im going all infantry/artillery.

• Be careful when you strafe, too overwhelming of a force may have you taking a territory you had no intention of liberating.

• Is there anything useful that can be done with the russian planes? (other than attacking with your infantry)

• @HipHopBernie:

Is there anything useful that can be done with the russian planes? (other than attacking with your infantry)

I’ve sunk the German Navy before (BB, Cruiser, and 2 Transports in Baltic) with the Russian starting sub, 2 fighters, 1 tac.

I’ve used the air to take Iraq with some Infantry from Caucasus/Persia.

• Now for UK Pacific: All infantry? My UK fleet in the med retreated in the egypt canal (except the destroyer). Is it worth bringing it to India, or should i stay to annoy the italians?

• '12

@HipHopBernie:

Now for UK Pacific: All infantry? My UK fleet in the med retreated in the egypt canal (except the destroyer). Is it worth bringing it to India, or should i stay to annoy the italians?

Annoying the Italians is always worthwhile since their income expands rapidly if you let them collect their NOs.

I’m sitting on the fence as to whether Mech or Infantry is a better buy for India.  With Mech it is easier to support China since you get from Calcutta to Yunnan in one move and from Yunnan you have the range to hit everything of importance in SE Asia.  However, India and Moscow are the only major ICs the Allies have access to on the Eurasian landmass.  In that regard it may be better to focus on Infantry with some ART tossed in so you can build up a nice stack of fodder.  With making Infantry your main buy Japan may be forced to commit more production into ground units that they might have otherwise which could allow you to get the upper hand at sea.

• I like having a couple Mech as India… they are incredibly useful both as a deterrent (can reinforce Yunnan if needed or attack Yunnan with air).  Additionally, they can quickly move to the Mid East if Italy is getting frisky.

Infantry take to long to get to the front…  All Japan has to do is move a fleet to Singapore and bam, India has to move out of Burma back into India.

• '12

@BJCard:

Infantry take to long to get to the front…  All Japan has to do is move a fleet to Singapore and bam, India has to move out of Burma back into India.

Yep.  Of course, in the heavy-Mech scenario you’re moving out of Yunnan back into India for the same reason.  The Infantry stack also defends Burma itself, at least.  It’s a tough call for me.  I like the versatility of Mech but after too many rounds of all-Mech buys I start to wish I had more units on the board, even slow ones.

• @Eggman:

@BJCard:

Yep.  Of course, in the heavy-Mech scenario you’re moving out of Yunnan back into India for the same reason.  The Infantry stack also defends Burma itself, at least.  It’s a tough call for me.  I like the versatility of Mech but after too many rounds of all-Mech buys I start to wish I had more units on the board, even slow ones.

By no means am I advocating all Mech buys.  Just in the first couple turns (when India has a little money) buying 1 or 2 mechs.  havining 3-4 mechs as India can be invaluable when Japan goes for J3 attack and you need to take Yunnan or Shan State to prevent all Japan’s air from hitting you.  At least that gives you a fighting chance of holding India.

• How do you hold egypt from Italy? I don’t see how i can hold it in the next few turns. Is it possible to hold it if i didn’t make an ic on the first turn?

Turn 2 starts tonight, if i see that Germany aint making transports (for sealion), should i make an ic in egypt?

• '12

@HipHopBernie:

How do you hold egypt from Italy? I don’t see how i can hold it in the next few turns. Is it possible to hold it if i didn’t make an ic on the first turn?

Turn 2 starts tonight, if i see that Germany aint making transports (for sealion), should i make an ic in egypt?

There’s a whole thread here on the viability of saving Egypt.  It’s mainly impossible if Italy is starting to collect money from its NOs and Germany is willing to use its planes to defend Italian troop stacks or can-open for the Italians.

I still recommend getting an IC in Egypt as soon as possible, but only if you are sure you can hold it for several turns.  An Italy sitting in Egypt is most likely rolling in NO money and it will be very hard to turn the tide on them without taking to many US resources from the Pacific.

If you lose Egypt, your choices are usually sending in a massive US fleet to try and take it back, or sending in troops up from Cape Town or a newly built Iraq/Persia IC.  Both moves take a long time to set up.

• My last game I did Taranto with the British, purposely saving all aircraft and landing them in Malta (knew the Germans would take out the remains of my fleet - even left a good carrier there).  Also took out the Italian Transport next to Malta and Ethiopia.  On turn 1 I bought 6 Inf, 1 Fighter for London.

Turn 2, built a UK IC in Egypt, landed all my UK fighters in range and transported whatever troops in Africa that could reach to Egypt.  Also landed the French Fighter in Africa.

Turn 3, built an airbase, aircraft carrier, fighter, and 1 infantry in Egypt- and moved my Indian fleet thru the canal.

Whala! I have 3 fighters scramble support with 2 DD(1 french), 1 Cruiser, 1 CV, 2 fighters defending that SZ.  If the germans come, they will take a beating on their airforce!  With little Navy, Italy cannot be a threat for a while.

I actually like the move personally.

• What the heck is Taranto?

• '12

@HipHopBernie:

What the heck is Taranto?

It’s the commonly-used name for the UK1 attack on SZ97 meant to wipe out the Italian BB.  If you aren’t worried about Sea Lion and didn’t lose your UK Fighters to scrambles G1, you can fly in an additional 2 Fighters + the Bomber to make it even more of a wipe-out.

• Sorry its an A&A term describing a all in UK attack on the Italian Navy.

Based loosely on:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Taranto

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Loosely…

• @Gargantua:

Loosely…

Well, isn’t everything ‘loosely’ in Axis & Allies?

• Ahhhhh the 2 London fighters can land on the carriers……took me a while to realize it…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m