I own too many Axis & Allies games!

• Question for the group… Do you guys keep all pieces separated by game or do you mix them all together?  I really want a common ‘bin’ for chips, dice, etc, but can’t bring myself to do it, or how to do it…

• Keep them separate if it’s global 40…you can get a few hundred for it when they sell out

1942 and 41 could be combined, they made too many copies of this.

If you like house rules you might combine, but no reason if you don’t

• I took all the chips from my copy of Europe and added them to my copy of Revised but everything else remains ‘whole.’ That is all I can bring myself to do despite also having a desire to get all of it in one container.

One of the practical reasons I don’t is I’d then have to go all the way and combine everything (i.e. have ALL of the US pieces in one divided Plano type box) but then you have way too much stuff.

If your thoughts drift to re-sell value the only thing I’d be really worried about keeping just like it arrived is Anniversary Edition. I don’t think combining the sets that make up Global would be a bad idea.

I’d think it would depend on what you’re willing to spend and how and what you play. What particular problem/inconvenience are you trying to solve? If you just want to combine stuff common to all games you could go the secondary market route and just buy the chips you want, the dice you want, spring for the fancy IPC poker chips, find an appropriate container for all of it and use it across all games and leave that stuff for each set untouched when you use the map and pieces.

• Well, basically, I own:

BOTB
    DDay
    Guadalcanal

These I left intact because they are smaller and contain everything you need

I had two copies of Revised, which I no longer play (I have two different colors of British pieces… normal tan and light grey).  Used the IPC money for AA1940… may have to use them for 1914 too.  Took Dice and Chips out.

AA50- Definitely keeping this as intact as possible- only took the dice out.

AA Europe
    AA Pacific
    Haven’t played these in years (Not since AA50 came out at least), even though AA Pacific is my favorite game and has the cool Japanese red pieces.

Spring 1942 (I just bought 2nd edition that will ship with 1914- free shipping over $100 on CSI).  Only played this once to introduce people to A&A- they quickly wanted more complexity and we went to AA50.

AA1940 Europe & Pacific - combined all of these together- impossible to play Global and separate them.  Who wants two boxes for UK and/or US?

My problem is rarely do I have enough chips or dice for AA1940.  Not all of the chips from the various games fit together.

It is satisfying to roll 20+ dice at once for large battles.  I would love to combine all of my pieces together but for some reason I feel like I need to keep most of the games intact.  I dunno, just wondering what you guys do.

I love A&A too much.  I doubt I will ever sell any of my games.  The only one would be AA50 down the road if the resell value keeps going up (it is an open box though).  I haven’t played it since the 1940 games came out.

• I divide my A&A stuff into two categories: sculpts and everything else.  I store the sculpts in plastic tackle boxes, which are arranged by country and sub-arranged by piece type (with further subdivisions, as applicable, for variant models and colours).  In other words, I sort my sculpts by country and shape and colour, not by the games that provided them. With every new A&A game (I own all of them, in most cases in multiple copies), I take notes on what was in each box so that I have a reasonable idea of where the sculpts in my collection came from.  The rest of the stuff – poker chips, dice and so forth – gets tossed together in other plastic storage trays, without any attempt to track its origins.  I consolidate the map boards from different games into as few of the original game boxes as possible, for simplicity of storage.  I have no plans to re-sell anything, so for me being able to reconstruct a game box’s exact original contents isn’t a consideration.

• I combined all my pieces together into Plano boxes, currently painting them all to match, and I store all these boxes with boards, books, and everything else in a large plastic storage container that has a locking lid. No plan on my part to sell anything either so singular storage works much better for me.

• I also go the tackle-box route– I just recently had to consolidate things to make room for my new baby (the wife has confiscated my office and I now have a smallish corner and one set of shelves).  I put the pieces in tackle-boxes by country (and divided them out all OCD-like) and reduced my games to fill the two second edition G40 boxes with all the extra stuff-- boards, references, and the like.  I got one of those binders that you can clip magazines in to hold all the rulebooks.  This helped me with controlling my E1940.2, P1940.2, 1941, Spring 1942(x2), Spring 1942, Pacific, and Revised.  It was a bit hard to break things down at first-- doing so much can be overwhelming.  However, I persevered, and it feels satisfying.

The hardest part was cutting the setup charts off the G40 unit storage bins, but I could not afford that much dead space.  The tops are now “cards,” and my wife uses the black box bottoms as drawer organizers.

If you are not selling them ever, then go for it.  Good luck.

• Customizer

I’d consider anything you’re never going to sell and combine the parts. Keep the rule books, placement cards, etc. in the original box(es). I’m going to go against the grain and say go ahead with your AA50 unless your going to sell which I’m never going to. Maybe keep GC, D-Day, and BoB inatct parts and all. The rest I’d combine. It makes life a lot easier playing games sometimes. A fringe bennefit  is that by mixing your pieces say during a gmae of 41 is that a new player may ask what that piece is for and opens a gateway to the other games. Just my opinion.

• Another useful trick, as far as the game boxes go, is to consolidate your maps and other accessories into as few boxes as possible, and to use the leftover empty boxes for miscellaneous storage of other household stuff like books or documents that you need to keep long-term.  That way, the space in the boxes doesn’t go to waste and you get convenient storage boxes for stuff you need to store anyway.

• I just keep my stuff as bought although I might add extra pieces that I have bought.  If I would mix them, I’d end up forgetting what went with what.  Also, when I buy a new one, I make a manifest of individual pieces so that I will always know just what it came with I bought it in case I add extra pieces later.  As for storage, game boxes were considered when I was working out house design:

Â

Big boxes such as Anniversary and '40 have thrown a small wrench into things though.

• Pacific War, are the cables through the front of you shelves holding any weight? How are they attached to the shelves? How deep are the shelves into the ‘slots’ on the wall? How many inches of shelving are you left with? How thick are the shelves?

• Yes, almost all of it.  They are 1/8" stainless braided cables rated at 1800 pounds each.  You could essentially hang a  couple pickup trucks on the wall.

They are not technically “attached” to the shelves.  They pass through the shelves and I engineered a little trick underneath so that the shelves can rest upon what’s going on under there.  Here’s a detail shot of one passing through some shelves:

Their is a 3/4" cleat attached to the battens and the rear of the shelf rests upon (and is nailed into) it.  So, even though each shelf has 3/4" of support at the rear, it only appears to sink into the wall 1/4" (the inset of each batten). Â

11.5" of useful shelf space.

3/4" but they look thicker due to the facing.

• Thanks. Very eloquent design. I’m trying to figure out an improved storage option for my comics collection and I really like the aesthetic of this.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I don’t think you can own too many but I know what you mean.

photo (3).jpg
    image (4).jpg

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I took my 1999 Europe, 2001 Pacific, 2004 Revised, 1942, 1942 2nd edition, and 1941 and put them into Artbins. Like you, I left specific campaign, global, and AA50th in their boxes.

image (3).jpg
    image (2).jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m