Germany playbook: overall strategy guide

• @Stough said in Germany playbook: overall strategy guide:

Why not G1 DOW on Russia?

Think it says in the rule-book: Germany isn’t ready for it. 😉 Despite that I believe a G1DOW does work in OOB, although it might be weaker than a later DOW. Germany can however not secure any territories by this time and Russia gets a lot of bonus-income.

@Stough said in Germany playbook: overall strategy guide:

And if so, why isn’t a big infantry buy the way to go for round 1 purchase, followed by mech/tanks in round 2 and then tanks, tanks, tanks? Is G6-G7-G8 too late to take Russia?

It’s a viable buy, but again, a bit weaker. The problem for Germany is that they are slow. What really gets Germany going is making progress towards rich bounty in Russia. I think that with an inf/art-purchase G1 those units won’t make it to Ukraine in time and the german stack will likely halt for one turn by G5. Getting stalled is bad.

followed by mech/tanks in round 2 and then tanks, tanks, tanks? Is G6-G7-G8 too late to take Russia?

It’s maybe not too late, but question is if it’s feasible? By that time there will be potential allied air lending support to the ruskijs. Fast-movers will take 4 turns, including the one when built, to reach Moscow.

On a note Germany should buy more mechs than tanks. Point is that it actually gives a higher combat value since there will be more of them. Tanks would be better if Germany has reached it’s production-limit, but they will be far from that point.

• @trulpen Again, I’m new so my ideas are probably wonky. After three test plays, all using a Sea Lion Variant (btw, I only think Sea Lion is good if you want to get Italy into the game. Britain has to respond to it in some measure and that gives Italy a chance), I think a G-1 DOW looks pretty good.

You can nuke 7 Russians and start the border squabbles that attrit Russia, while close to home.
    Buy 3Art and 6 inf in round 1, (maybe a destroyer or sub) and then a bunch.
    Place a sub in Russias convoy zone on rd 1 and keep occupying that thing to deny Russia the 5ipc’s.
    I think your advice to buy a crap ton of wagons (mech) in round 2 is very sound. Followed by a mix of fast movers in rd 3-4 and some bombers.

It seems fairly simple to leverage Russia with a strong push. Use the Luftwaffe to full advantage and get either Nov or Ukraine or both.

I’m not sure nailing Moscow is even necessary. Just push them back, hurt their economy and anaconda them to death, while dealing with US/UK.

Anyhow, lots of big talk from me. I’ll be play testing Germany without a Sea Lion for the next three games. We’ll see what headaches the Brits can bring without a Sea Lion. The US will be spending about 2/3 of their budget on Germany.

BTW. What fighter is sent to Tobruk?

@trulpen Again, I’m new so my ideas are probably wonky. After three test plays, all using a Sea Lion Variant (btw, I only think Sea Lion is good if you want to get Italy into the game. Britain has to respond to it in some measure and that gives Italy a chance), I think a G-1 DOW looks pretty good.

You can nuke 7 Russians and start the border squabbles that attrit Russia, while close to home.
    Buy 3Art and 6 inf in round 1, (maybe a destroyer or sub) and then a bunch.
    Place a sub in Russias convoy zone on rd 1 and keep occupying that thing to deny Russia the 5ipc’s.
    I think your advice to buy a crap ton of wagons (mech) in round 2 is very sound. Followed by a mix of fast movers in rd 3-4 and some bombers.

It seems fairly simple to leverage Russia with a strong push. Use the Luftwaffe to full advantage and get either Nov or Ukraine or both.

I’m not sure nailing Moscow is even necessary. Just push them back, hurt their economy and anaconda them to death, while dealing with US/UK.

Anyhow, lots of big talk from me. I’ll be play testing Germany without a Sea Lion for the next three games. We’ll see what headaches the Brits can bring without a Sea Lion. The US will be spending about 2/3 of their budget on Germany.

BTW. What fighter is sent to Tobruk?

Fig from Slovakia. Going there after hitting Yugo.

I would never support an early Sea Lion, unless something exceptional happened. Early is something like before turn 6.

Conquering Moscow might not be a necessity, but if it can be done it’s a top priority. Getting Russia out of play and all that extra income is worth tons.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m