Germany playbook: overall strategy guide

• As this is a valuable resource for new Global players (myself included), is there any chance we could get this stickied? And perhaps the Japanese playbook as well? I find myself hunting for it rather often.

• TripleA

I guess you could ask them to add it to the community links page. Sticky links to the strategy guides?

Edit: Just realized a bad luck dice thread is sticky. I guess my strategy guides could get sticky after all! I would much rather links be provided in an intuitive spot.

Also changed the name of the thread to have “strategy guide” as well as playbook. I realized playbook is not a common search word.

~

I still have not got around to completing allies strategy guide.

I still have not got around to editing my J2 DOW setup. I do not like the current version that is there. In my team game (garg’s tournament) Veqryn has a more conservative approach to Japan so the setup is for that approach.

Personally I just became accustomed to J1 DOW, it is my preference. J2 may be better in many cases. It is really working out for us in our game, we tried out phil island for hovering naval units over (to prevent dds from blocking island takeovers). I think China should have forced Japan to make a decision instead of backing itself into an isolated corner. That mistake will cost them.

• bump… :-D

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Cow:

The super serious Egypt play: Do basic G1, instead buy 2 bombers and a sub. G2 buy more bombers. fly air to Alexandria on top of Italy stuff. Then attack Egypt on round 3 with mass bomber and all your air! Clear the way for Italy!

What’s to stop UK just killing Tobruk?

• '17

It depends on the bid. If the Allies place in Alexandria, then Germany should probably pursue a different strategy.

If you still want to do this despite such a bid, then you could land some German planes on Tobruk on G1 (WGR planes can hit France and land in Tobruk, if you use a non-conventional G1 CM, the planes on Poland/Slovakia can hit YUGO and land in Tobruk also). You would probably limit your naval CM to SZ106 and SZ110 though.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing lately (I thought I invented it  :-P).  I hit z111 and send air to France and Yugo, then I wind up with 2 tacs in Rome and 3 fighters and 3 tacs defending Tobruk, with the 2 fighters and 2 bombers that went to z111 landing in West Germany.

If Germany builds bombers on round 1, there is obviously no sealion potential and that frees up UK to max defend Egypt before round 2 (transport Malta units to Egypt, send London fighters to French West Africa, activate Persia with India transport, build a transport off South Africa, build an IC in Egypt, maybe Taranto or maybe no Taranto).

Wheatbeer do you think it would be feasible for Germany to build nothing at all on G1 so as to keep up a sealion threat? One could always fly the Tobruk planes back to West Germany and if UK did the above Egypt defense I might go for it.

• '17

You may have done the defend Tobruk trick before me then … I have only used German planes on Paris to land in Tobruk once and that wasn’t too long ago.

I always like buying nothing with Germany for just that reason. Probably been a year since my last G1 purchase.

I also like to take Southern France so that (if the situation is right) you get the option to mobilize a small German Med. fleet on G2 (which doesn’t break the bank since its not uncommon to spend the G1 money on fleet anyways).

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Sometimes South France is also useful as a landing spot.  Next time I’ll build nothing and see what happens.
    Thank you once again Wheatbeer!

• Sponsor

@Cow:

Shameless bump

Common Cow, although there is nothing shameless about bumping your own thread once, there is definitely shame when you follow your own bump with another bump 8 months later. I have many large threads from years ago that I have seriously thought about resurrecting, but I would never double bump a thread that was already in the grave. How about some new topics around here eh?

• I enjoy these threads because of the technicallity of which you guys view moves.  Very enlightening.

For what is it worth:

I typically hit the Soviet Union with everything I can to take them out of the game as quickly as possible.  This seems to be most effective.  The UK is so weak in the Atlantic that I do not concern myself with them early on, though after reading this thread it can be useful to do so.

I do not typically declare war on the US until turn 3.  It seems to make sense to keep them out of the game as long as possible, and allow Japan to focus on Asia.  The last game I played I made the mistake of forcing on China when most units should have been pursuing India.  I made some major mistakes with Japan, and they were reduced to defending Tokyo, and the UK reclaimed much of Asia.

• '13

I’m working from the sea lion/feign G1 and wondering about trying to save the German battleship in z110 for bombardment and added TT protection for a possible sea lion. What about an air base on holland end of G1 instead of buying an AC in z112? Then land some fighters and/or tacs there for scramble.

BTW, another vote to sticky these playbooks.

• TripleA

If it gets sticky… I am going to have to update them. I will do so.
    ~
    If they do they could just put it in the community links page. That would be easier.

• '13

Never mind! I temporarily got the airfield (cost 15) mixed up with minor IC (cost 10).

• '13

Even at a cost of 15, I guess I’m still interested in comments on an AC vs. airbase buy to save the battleship.

Thx

• TripleA

Carrier is better because you want the naval unit to attack with in case UK repair his airbase (then you have two battles to do, the potential scramble as well as UK).

So if an airbase is repaired, you have dd cruiser carrier, simply add 2 air units and you can defeat 3 scrambled fighters.

It is true Italy can bomb UK’s airfield after he repairs, but there is a 1/6 chance that fails.

• '14 Customizer

G1 buying 2 bombers and sub.  I never realized that was in this thread.  I have been using that as my standard opening buy for Germany for quite some time.  Interesting to see that you make the same buy G1, Cow.

I had originally used them to beef up the threat on UK to get them to turtle or pre-Sealion.

• '13

@Cow:

Carrier is better because you want the naval unit to attack with in case UK repair his airbase (then you have two battles to do, the potential scramble as well as UK).

Understood.

• TripleA

I use the bomber buy thing to snipe Egypt. Germany can get 20 air units max to snipe Egypt out.

Unless the entire allied bid is on infantry to swarm inside and the malta inf aa gun goes in as well… africa/middle east is gone. Even so you just attack with Italy first so you lose less stuff when Germany paves low. Or load german units on Italy transports and offload on Germany’s next turn, to get the wombo combo.

• TripleA

Several updates coming soon. Pretty huge if you asked me.

-Alternative G1 attack openers
    -Bomber buy g1 with more bombers on g2
    -Full game analysis against various allied strategies and what they could have done better (all games feature J1 DOW so I am dealing with Americans a bit sooner than most games in Europe and still coming out on top).

Pretty sure you guys do not need me to explain the G6 attack Russia drill… I will do it anyway.

• TripleA

Also going to post a strategy to use when you are having a bad time in Europe, like you are getting diced ^.^ which happens sometimes.

Expect the update to hit roughly by the end of the month. I am posting now to remind myself and also because some of it is in progress… got to fine tune it you know. :)

To everyone who is upset at me for posting guides that ruined your games… your games will get worse and even more axis dominant

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m