Germany playbook: overall strategy guide

• TripleA

Why in all that is holy, do you NOT attack the British Battleship (from your first post) in the english channel?  If I were britain I would love to have that asset.

Because if I did, allies scramble everytime and it requires more air to do.

If I am going to G1 DoW, I am going all in for Russia, I do not care what navy any country has, they are boats in oceans. I got guns rolling cities.

• TripleA

I find all the G1 DoWs to be one of the easier strategies for the allies to play against. It is still fun to do.

• Sponsor

@Cow:

I find all the G1 DoWs to be one of the easier strategies for the allies to play against.

Than their not following through.

• TripleA

???

The whole point of a G1 DoW is to take Russia round 5. You stop that and it is over. G1 dow is just a real crap barb if it does not deliver a G5 take of Russia.

That is my honest opinion. It is fun and you get a solid crack at Russia on round 5.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

With a G1 DOW, what prevents UK from flying RAF over?

US Turn 1: Build 2 carriers atlantic side + a destroyer to form backbone of an Atlantic fleet. Expect to spend heavy later in the Pacific for a couple turn to catch up with Japan.

Turn 1, leave RAF to protect home waters and hit Italy.

US Turn 2, move on two American Carriers in 91

UK Turn 2, land UK fighters on US carriers

US Turn 3, the combined fleet moves in the med (presumably strong enough to weather an axis counter attack). UK build airbase in Gibraltar if necessary where US fighters can land.

UK Turn 3, land the UK airforce in Egypt.

UK Turn 4, move planes to Persia

UK Turn 5, move in to Russia

Keep feeding planes until the stack from Siberia arrive and use UK ground units from middle east to contest the South.

Once Japan is under control, the US shifts back to the European theater.

• TripleA

U5 is too late. Germany hits Russia on G5 which is before U5.

You have to be more aggressive than that with the allies. Here is a tip, buy a beer and just go. Why do you delay a round before coming in hot? That makes no sense.

Here is a secret, Germany does not want to attack naval and if he does, GOOD. You want to keep transport free, which is e z, you want to hold up in africa, which is e z, then position to fly into russia. You also want to get Russia his NOs.

You can do it all.

Way I see it, G1 is an extreme outlier, you do not have an extreme outlier strategy of your own?

• Sponsor

@Cow:

???

The whole point of a G1 DoW is to take Russia round 5. You stop that and it is over. G1 dow is just a real crap barb if it does not deliver a G5 take of Russia.

That is my honest opinion. It is fun and you get a solid crack at Russia on round 5.

The G1 strategy doesn’t need that ultimatum to be viable, there are lots of good reasons to attack Russia turn one.

• TripleA

There are 7 infantry near Germany, they usually score 3-4 hits defending. Russia makes 5 NO. So you basically are up 1-2 inf on Russia. That is it. 1-2 infantry difference.

The only way this is going to have a big impact as far as taking Russia goes is if you 1) keep coming out on top in skirmishes 2) don’t get distracted from your objective

• Sponsor

@Cow:

There are 7 infantry near Germany, they usually score 3-4 hits defending. Russia makes 5 NO. So you basically are up 1-2 inf on Russia. That is it. 1-2 infantry difference.

The only way this is going to have a big impact as far as taking Russia goes is if you 1) keep coming out on top in skirmishes 2) don’t get distracted from your objective

After the initial 7 are killed, Russia will move more infantry forward to kill the left over tanks. Germany will than move forward to take out more infantry, and they will capture one IC (posibly two) very fast before Russia can produce support for the fight on their own front. I prefer these small battles of attrition rather than over kill on France and Yugoslavia while Russia pulls back and forms their formidable defense. The only true difference between a G1 Attack on Russia, and a DOW later is… Germany will be involved in 4 or 5 small battles of attrition close to the factories they own and the factories they will own, or 1 or 2 huge battles involving many many units on or around Moscow. I played Russia today where I was able to keep my 7 infantry and build units on the front because I wasn’t attacked early, so I wasn’t pressured with difficult decisions like counter attacking to be counter attacked, or how little time I have before I have to abandon my western Factories. I truly believe that both a G1 attack and a G2 attack have merit (G3 is to late IMO), its just a matter of preference and how comfortable your strategy is going to make you feel 4 or 5 rounds into the game. Saying that a strategy has no reasoning if it can’t result in taking Moscow no later than turn 5 is a blanket statement. I have won on the Europe side twice while doing my G1 strategy, but didn’t take Moscow til round 9 because I stopped to attempt a late sealion.

• Sponsor

@Omega1759

It’s difficult for me to perceive your theories because there are just to many variants and situations that can disrupt all your dominos that need to fall perfectly.

RAF units to Russia is a viable option and one of the many allied strategies Germany might have to face regardless of what round they attack Russia.

• TripleA

The decision for russia to counter attack somewhat depends on how much air you suspect germany will have to skirmish back… in other words the allies should know what uk is going to do first, keep naval in sz 97 or not. Stuff like that.

1 attack is nice since russia only has 3 air units, use inf/arty, ignore the others. Not a hard decision. So after round 1 -7 infantry which on defense should get 3-4 hits, then you make 5 NO bonus. So you only down a couple inf and if your 1 attack goes well then it is not so bad. Plus the one attack works out well simply because you do not need to send extra men, you can go 1 for 1, expect a survivor or two, maybe get a hit next defense.

In other words Russia can come out even, but get a head start as far as his Africa/MidEast NOs go.

• @Omega1759:

With a G1 DOW, what prevents UK from flying RAF over?

US Turn 1: Build 2 carriers atlantic side + a destroyer to form backbone of an Atlantic fleet. Expect to spend heavy later in the Pacific for a couple turn to catch up with Japan.

Turn 1, leave RAF to protect home waters and hit Italy.

US Turn 2, move on two American Carriers in 91

UK Turn 2, land UK fighters on US carriers

US Turn 3, the combined fleet moves in the med (presumably strong enough to weather an axis counter attack). UK build airbase in Gibraltar if necessary where US fighters can land.

UK Turn 3, land the UK airforce in Egypt.

UK Turn 4, move planes to Persia

UK Turn 5, move in to Russia

Keep feeding planes until the stack from Siberia arrive and use UK ground units from middle east to contest the South.

Once Japan is under control, the US shifts back to the European theater.

Omega, if Japan doesn’t DOW USA can’t move to 91.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

OK I’m just going to throw this one out there.  Throw tomatoes at it it you like.  I’m just wondering if it might be POSSIBLE to declare war on Russia G1 AND threaten sealion to keep UK on the down low for the first turn.

The idea of this opener is to keep both options open (see attached TripleA file):
    a) G2 build a bunch of tanks and mechs in Germany and West Germany to push Russia back (they get to Moscow G5).
    b) G2 build a carrier and 10 transports with my $86.

My questions is what could UK get away with if I were to do this?  Could they Taranto, fighters to Karelia, Egypt IC, or must they sit and spin in London with 9 infantry?

Let’s assume Japan is beating China until J4 so no USA help to Britain.

G1_J4_$ave.tsvg

• '16 '15 '10

variance that would depend completely on what UK does UK1.  If UK doesn’t protect London or it builds an Egypt IC or both then you can think about turn 2 sea lion.

Now the Turn 1 declaration on Russia might have some merit if it compels Russia to retreat to Bryansk/Ukraine and not hold Belorussia, which would push back a potential Red Army consolidation in East Poland till R3.  The downside is that Russia can also go take out Iraq (and potentially get more NO money in Africa) and they are getting the +5 while Germany isn’t getting its +5.

As far as the file you posted, I would only consider either 9 inf or 6 inf 1 fig as purchases for UK (more likely 9 inf).  Certainly no Taranto attack.

Your opening is interesting as it poses a tough challenge to Russia…Russia could risk stacking Belorussia with a 27% chance of actualling winning the battle, but if Germany had 2 more planes on West Germany, then stacking Belo would be too risky.

The major problem with this opening from my perspective is UK should be in a decent position if they opt for a 92 consolidation.  And since your 91 attack is 50/50, that cruiser could just as easily survive and strengthen the potential consolidation.

• TripleA

my opener as uk would depend on my bid.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

I played a G1 with Vance (attached below). At one point, I was feeling the heat but the Western Allies provided sufficient threat to carry the day.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Yeah, you can’t really judge the merit of G1 when its done by someone like me though.  A better player could probably make a lot more out of forcing the Russians to turtle early.  Also, that game was G1/J1 and not G1/J4 so you were able to trickle in the Americans right off the bat.

• Sponsor

I don’t play online, but snake11eyes plays out my G1 blueprint quite well, and has the skills to finish strong.

• @ COW
    Hey COW, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the additional posts you reserved for this thread on  “Reserved–optimal Sea Lion / Fein, Med. Sea strategies & another Reserved spot” you posted spaces for on Feb.28th.

Are these spots going to be added to soon or do you have a time frame that your thinking you might be able to get back to them?  As I said, I’m eagerly awaiting as well as alot of other players I’M SURE    :-)

• TripleA

Oh yes I been meaning to get around to it. I play a game on Saturday and today a midterm is going to fry my brain. I try for Sunday.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m