• So I think I completely butchered an amazing opportunity to wreak some damage on the Germans while playing UK on the weekend.

The German player arrived late and we got underway fairly quickly.  He did a G1 on Russia, and all your fairly standard land operations for Germany however completely forgot to move ANY of his navy, nor did he attack or sink any of the UK’s navy.

My original plan was to go to the med and wreak up Italy and hold Cairo but having a full Atlantic fleet split my mind and in the end was probably my downfall.  I can see in hindsight the mistakes I have made, but I was also wondering what people would do as the UK if they had their full Atlantic fleet on their first turn.  What would your buy be, and what course of action would you take?

I wish I had just solidified my fleet and position in sz110 and started landing ASAP in Western Germany as Russia got steamrolled before UK and USA were able to make any significant in roads on ze Germans.

• TripleA

Sink sz 97 and that lone dd of Italys. I’d put the air on malta, consider buying a bomber. Consider keeping your fleet in the atlantic or put just 1 battleship in the med (then Italy has to do 3 naval battles to make his 5).

Get some destroyers maybe because you still have plenty of subs to worry about.  Keep french cruiser around.

If Germany cannot sink your naval, the french cruiser can block Germany from doing some sort of invasion since it goes after Italy and before germany.

• @Cow:

Sink sz 97 and that lone dd of Italys. I’d put the air on malta, consider buying a bomber. Consider keeping your fleet in the atlantic or put just 1 battleship in the med (then Italy has to do 3 naval battles to make his 5).

Get some destroyers maybe because you still have plenty of subs to worry about.  Keep french cruiser around.

If Germany cannot sink your naval, the french cruiser can block Germany from doing some sort of invasion since it goes after Italy and before germany.

So you would just keep playing as if you had lost the atlantic fleet?  Continue with Med operations and leave mainland Europe for the USA when they join the war (which occurred J4)

• @elzario:

@Cow:

So you would just keep playing as if you had lost the atlantic fleet?  Continue with Med operations and leave mainland Europe for the USA when they join the war (which occurred J4)

Conquer med, secure egypt and middle east, be rdy to send air to russia/india and get ground rdy to fight over caucuses.

• TripleA

Well the difference of having a fleet early on is huge! Makes UK safe, means you can attack sz 97 again in round 2!

• I used most the atlantic fleet to kill all the subs on first turn, so was at least another turn off getting the remainders into the Med.  Would you leave the subs in the atlantic?

I should clarify, UK was never under threat and Germany did not concentrate much at all in the Atlantic/Western Europe until Russia had begun to crumble.  I still was unable to save Cairo being taken I4.  I am not the best player, especially playing UK so there would be a lot of things I need to improve on my UK game

• @elzario:

I used most the atlantic fleet to kill all the subs on first turn, so was at least another turn off getting the remainders into the Med.  Would you leave the subs in the atlantic?

I would only bother with killing subs if it did not hurt me against italy/sealion or if I was concerned about convoy raids/building in 106.

I should clarify, UK was never under threat and Germany did not concentrate much at all in the Atlantic/Western Europe until Russia had begun to crumble.  I still was unable to save Cairo being taken I4.  I am not the best player, especially playing UK so there would be a lot of things I need to improve on my UK game

If you spend the resources to build out of South africa and a factory in egypt, you should have no problem holding egypt.  (Also, don’t empty it too much too early.)

• I really should of built an IC in egypt… that was a big mistake.  Arghh… so many mistakes and I had so many opportunities… Anyone have a time machine?

• I don’t like the IC in Egypt.  Losing it sucks that much more!  I’d rather just build something like 1-2 Mech, 1 Tank in SA

• My best friend is a firm believer in an Egyptian IC and somehow he gets to utilise it and prevent its capture.
    It drives me crazy!
    I would place units in SA if I played the UK.

• Could have bought a carrier and stacked 110 or 2 figs and stacked 109.

• @elzario:

Germany however completely forgot to move ANY of his navy, nor did he attack or sink any of the UK’s navy.

WOOPS.  :?

• @BJCard:

I don’t like the IC in Egypt.  Losing it sucks that much more!  I’d rather just build something like 1-2 Mech, 1 Tank in SA

I only build an IC in Egypt if I know that italy won’t be able to take it.  I usually either 92 stack + airbase gib, or wipe out 97, this usually results in an Egypt IC round 2 at the latest( hold off untill I know the G2 buy) plus trasnport + ground or a fig in SA to support.  If I hold from I2, then I can hold it indefinately.

Fast units in SA is nice, only if once doesn’t plan on holding egypt easily or if one let’s ethe live.

• @wittmann:

My best friend is a firm believer in an Egyptian IC and somehow he gets to utilise it and prevent its capture.
    It drives me crazy!
    I would place units in SA if I played the UK.

I am a firm believer in that aswell, if UK plays smart, italy can never take egypt.  (Of course of italy gets retardedly lucky with dice then well, that is dice)

• I usually never can~~'t~~ afford that much stuff in SA or an airbase because of the sealion threat (for the first two rounds at least).  Gotta buy either 9 Inf or 6 Inf/1 Ftr in London turn 1.  I mentioned fast units in SA after the Sealion threat is waned to get units to Cairo ASAP.

Typical German turn leaves all UK ships save 1 DD, 1 TT in SZ 109 and 1 CRU off Spain left.  Most German players I play buy at least a TT and a SS as part of their first turn buy, which leaves a Sealion visable with a 9-10 TT buy turn 2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m