• Customizer

That is not my interpretation. I believe the map has been so designed that only one NB is adjacent to any given SZ, therefore you cannot build navy into a SZ adjacent to an enemy NB, therefore a hostile SZ must be one containing enemy ships, therefore since there is no combat after such a placement the SZ itself becomes contested.

@wove100:

From Larry’s Imperial Russia post:

“New sea units can be placed in any sea zone that shares a naval base symbol with a territory that you originally controlled. New units can enter play even in a contested territory or hostile sea zone. No combat occurs because the Conduct Combat phase will be long past.”

I read this as follows:

contested territory = land territory with a naval base that has enemy units present (and thus is contested) but where new naval units can still be placed in the adjacent sea zone (note Larry doesn’t say contested sea zone).

hostile sea zone = sea zone adjacent to a land territory with a naval base that is occupied by enemy naval units but where new naval units can still be placed (as in previous versions of A&A).

With the usual caveat that I may be wrong, I can’t recall Larry saying anything about a contested sea zone, but I will search the reports.

• Customizer

It may be that “Hostile Sea Zone” is the official description of a “contested” Sz, i.e. one where rival navies are present but not in combat.

But it still doesn’t entirely clear up if an attacking navy can retreat after calling off the attack.

• Just a little update, I searched the turn reports and could find no mention of the concept of a “contested sea zone.” This leads me to believe that if the attacker calls off a naval battle he or she retreats, just like in other A&A games.

@Flashman:

That is not my interpretation. I believe the map has been so designed that only one NB is adjacent to any given SZ, therefore you cannot build navy into a SZ adjacent to an enemy NB, therefore a hostile SZ must be one containing enemy ships, therefore since there is no combat after such a placement the SZ itself becomes contested.

I may not have worded it well, but I didn’t mean to imply that naval units could be built in a sea zone with an enemy naval base. Say Kiel has a naval base. Germany could build naval units in the adjacent sea zone even if British ships were present. Furthermore, if Kiel was contested, Germany could still build ships in the sea zone adjacent to Kiel. That’s all I was trying to get across. Sorry about the confusion.

• I thought it was clear that naval battles were not changed too much, just no carriers and no destroyers.  A hostile SZ has always been one with enemy ships in It.

• Customizer

So no contested SZs, then.

Does that meant that, when a player with ships in a SZ that an enemy has just built a new ship into takes his turn, he must either fight the new units to the death or withdraw?

• I would hope said enemy naval base would be considered blockaded and as such no new naval units could be placed in it, but that’s just me.

• @Flashman:

So no contested SZs, then.

Does that meant that, when a player with ships in a SZ that an enemy has just built a new ship into takes his turn, he must either fight the new units to the death or withdraw?

If I remember correctly, ships can avoid battle in previous A&A versions, but perhaps he’s changed it to simulate the necessity of breaking through the blockade?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m