• With the recent image of the computer generated map, I’ve calculated Italy’s starting economy to 15 IPC’s! (Rome 3, Naples 2, Tuscany 2, Venice 3, Piedemont 3, Libya 1, Italian Somaliland 1) It has Albania that it can grab boosting it to 17 IPC’s.
    This raises the question of whether Italy can survive or not against Austria-Hungary (starting 26 IPC) on the Isonzo Front who will undoubtedly have German support (starting 35 IPC). Italy doesn’t have much of a chance for economic boosts and the one that it does get is in the Balkans most likely going to be surrounded and captured by Austro-Hungarian or Ottoman forces. On top of that Venice (worth 3 IPC’s) is going to be the contested territory, so now Italy only has 12 IPC’s to hold off/attack Austria-Hungary with!

Does Italy stand a chance or does Russia and her Balkan allies counter any advantage Austria-Hungary may have on this front?

France can’t send much support without compromising the Western Front and Britain’s too far away to feasibly give Italy the support she needs!

• Customizer

Frankly, Albania isn’t worth a bean and wasn’t an Italian ally in any sense in 1914 so think yourself lucky.

But yes, the Paris-Rome strategy is looking very much the best bet for the CPs.

The “Ostwall” should hold off the Russians.

That is:

Germany takes and holds Poland

Austria takes Romania, but mainly garrisons Galicia

Turkey moves up through Bulgaria to take over Romania

By holding these 3 tts with minimum units the Russians should be kept out.

Sorry, where is the CG map?

• @Flashman:

Perhaps you should visit the front page more often. ;)

• @Flashman:

Frankly, Albania isn’t worth a bean and wasn’t an Italian ally in any sense in 1914 so think yourself lucky.

But yes, the Paris-Rome strategy is looking very much the best bet for the CPs.

The “Ostwall” should hold off the Russians.

That is:

Germany takes and holds Poland

Austria takes Romania, but mainly garrisons Galicia

Turkey moves up through Bulgaria to take over Romania

By holding these 3 tts with minimum units the Russians should be kept out.

You’ve seen it already its the newest one posted on the home page.

I consider it more unlucky that Italy has Albania. It’s on the front that is the first to fall and its overseas. I’d much rather have those IPC spread over to Sicily and Sardinia (both of which are worth nothing, which is utter tosh considering Italian Somaliland is at least worth 1) than have Albania as an Italian ally.

It’s not accurate and its a worse economic gain than giving it to Sicily and Sardinia.

I just find it astonishing if this is true, that Italy is expected to hold this front with only enough stable IPC income to purchase 4 freakin’ Infantry per turn!

It’s half the economy of Austria-Hungary and when the Balkan and Eastern Fronts fall (which they inevitably will) Italy will have to hold off all of Austria-Hungary’s military might with little to no assistance from the other Allies. If Italy or France falls, its game over for the Allies.

• Italy was the weakest of the great powers so they should have the smallest economy (aside from probably the Ottomans but I am no expert on that front) and Albania is their ally more than likely based off of the fact that the Italians put an army there, it didn’t last long but they did.

The Ottomans arn’t much better, with a big empire ripe for the pikings, if the Ottomans get vulnerable then it balances out Italy I would think. Not to mention a possible Balkans front being opened up in Greece by someone. I shall wait for more gameplay reporting before I doom Italy in my mind.

• Customizer

That one?

You can read the tt names and IPCs for Italy on that?

@TheVenocWarlord:

@Flashman:

• Furthermore, if Germany invades Switzerland on their first turn, the Italian tt of Piedmont (only guessing on the name there) will be threatened. Italy can choose to attack the Austrians, which would be quite suicidal, or hold their ground, in which case they will be overrun on the next turn. The best strat for Italy, then, seems to withdraw their initial forces and join them with the ones from Rome on the first Italian turn, thereby giving up their two northern tts. Overall, the situation seems rather bad for the Italians, given that they only earn enough IPCs to buy four or five infantry per turn, before they lose ground. What do you all think?

• Customizer

Italy also has to consider the Adriatic. Austria can transport units across to Rome.
    Probably best to ship the Libyan garrison over to activate Albania R1 to divert Austrian units to their southern flank. You need to work with the Russians here to block the Turks from linking up with Austria.

• As Austria, I would use my entire army in Budapest to take out Serbia in round 1. Then there no problem when Italy activates Albania. Romania should be left alone initially, so Austria only has two and not three fronts from the second turn foward.

• Austria Hungary should crash through the north part of Italy to threaten southern France. Distraction is key on the western front.

• No. But you question referred to where the map was at. So I answered that.

@Flashman:

That one?

You can read the tt names and IPCs for Italy on that?

@TheVenocWarlord:

@Flashman:

• Customizer

Sorry, I had assumed from the first post in this thread that there was a map clearly showing all tt names and IPC values.

• Customizer

Speaking of the production chart, has it been confirmed how it works? It looks like a “10’s scale/1’s scale” type thing.

• @Flashman:

Sorry, I had assumed from the first post in this thread that there was a map clearly showing all tt names and IPC values.

There isn’t but I can read the tt values in Italy

• Italy needs to take Greece, Albania and rescue Serbia.

(good luck poor little Italy)

• So Italy and the Ottoman Empire are both screwed, there it balances out  :wink:

• @ossel:

Speaking of the production chart, has it been confirmed how it works? It looks like a “10’s scale/1’s scale” type thing.

Yeah, its a track system they liftet from WWII- The Struggle and its main purpose is to prevent the eternal back-and-forth swapping of territories since now its a challenge to move your marker in the stack.

• Also, Albania is worth 2 as far as I can tell, so with the Libyian army, that’s 6 units sitting there. Especially if Serbia doesn’t fall then that’s a problem for the Austrians.

• This is fun to think about. So many options…
    I love playing doomed powers, so the Ottomans and Italians should be interesting. As the British charge Constantinople, can the Ottomen hold out? Can Austria hold the back. Will Russia bite from the North. Defense is advantaged, so maybe…

As the Austrians consider the eminent fall of their Middle Eastern Ally, do they dare charge Italy, burning resources all the while? Do they hold ground even against the Brits of Greece? The Ukrainians?

As Italy sees eminent doom, do they fight for the balkans, in a Offence-is-the-best-defence move? Or do they rush to support the only thing that truly matters: Paris? Or do they assist the British in fighting of the Turks?

It all comes down to Southern Europe, assuming the west is stagnant. So giddy! Why does Amazon have no preorder?

• Customizer

Your eyesight is evidently not so good, as starting income is only 14.

Just so I know we’re on the same planet here, are you telling me you can make out the IPC values of Italy from this image?

http://www.axisandallies.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/aa14-setup-rendering.jpg

You must have X-ray vision.

@Hitlers:

@Flashman:

There isn’t but I can read the tt values in Italy

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m