House rule for Anti-air artillery (AAA) A&A Spring 1942 2e - Opinions Plz

• '20 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and I’ve been lurking for a while.  Been a fan of A&A since childhood and my bro-in-law and I have recently started playing A&A Spring 1942 2 Edition.  Love the new map and new units (though we might build an anniversary edition for Italy and tech), however, we cannot seem to find benefit with the new AAA unit and both feel that it’s a waste of a piece.  After several games we decided to come up with our own rule for the piece and chose to make it a defensive artillery whereby pairing 1-to-1 with an infantry would raise the defence of the infantry to 3.  We only played one game with this rule but so far so go.  Japan build a few to help defend some islands, Germany built a couple for added defence of Western Europe, however, Russia was building 1 or 2 every turn along with infantry (they were losing).  Couple of questions:

Do others strongly feel that the AAA unit is a waste of plastic as is?
    If so, have you come up with other ideas for the unit that have been play tested?

We would love to hear from others.

Thank you!

• We still use the original AA rules i spot per plane

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’m actually quite happy with the AAA rules as they are.

they get used extensively in every game I play.  In fact, on several occassions, I’ve used them as hit shields for germany, allowing me to hold russian armies at bay!

Thanks for the feedback! Would love to hear more opinions

• '17 '16

@userx:

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and I’ve been lurking for a while.  Been a fan of A&A since childhood and my bro-in-law and I have recently started playing A&A Spring 1942 2 Edition.  Love the new map and new units (though we might build an anniversary edition for Italy and tech), however, we cannot seem to find benefit with the new AAA unit and both feel that it’s a waste of a piece.  After several games we decided to come up with our own rule for the piece and chose to make it a defensive artillery whereby pairing 1-to-1 with an infantry would raise the defence of the infantry to 3.  We only played one game with this rule but so far so go.  Japan build a few to help defend some islands, Germany built a couple for added defence of Western Europe, however, Russia was building 1 or 2 every turn along with infantry (they were losing).  Couple of questions:

If so, have you come up with other ideas for the unit that have been play tested?

Thank you!

I would rather prefer to limit them to their role of AA gun but, specialy for Germany, it seems they used a lot their 88mm AAA as antitank gun (El Alamein battle, i.e.).
    I suggest that the defender can choose either to use them as a usual AntiAircraftArt @1 or a
    AntiArmorArtillery that roll every round of battle @1 but destroy an Arm on a hit, and nothing else (neither Inf nor Art).
    Is it too unbalancing?

@Baron:

@userx:

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and I’ve been lurking for a while.  Been a fan of A&A since childhood and my bro-in-law and I have recently started playing A&A Spring 1942 2 Edition.  Love the new map and new units (though we might build an anniversary edition for Italy and tech), however, we cannot seem to find benefit with the new AAA unit and both feel that it’s a waste of a piece.  After several games we decided to come up with our own rule for the piece and chose to make it a defensive artillery whereby pairing 1-to-1 with an infantry would raise the defence of the infantry to 3.  We only played one game with this rule but so far so go.  Japan build a few to help defend some islands, Germany built a couple for added defence of Western Europe, however, Russia was building 1 or 2 every turn along with infantry (they were losing).  Couple of questions:

Thank you!

I would rather prefer to limit them to their role of AA gun but, specialy for Germany, it seems they used a lot their 88mm AAA as antitank gun (El Alamein battle, i.e.).
    I suggest that you can choose either to use them as a usual AntiAircraftArt @1 or a
    AntiArmorArtillery that roll every round of battle @1 but destroy an Arm on a hit. And nothing else, neither Inf nor Art.
    Is it too unbalancing?

I like that because you are correct, in Real Live, AA was just high-velocity ammo pointed at the sky, point it at a tank life the Germans did, it became an effective anti-tank.

I like the idea of taking out tank and/or armor for the pre-combat AA roll.

I don’t know if it would be unbalanced but I think I will try this next game

Thank you

• '17 '16

I like that because you are correct, in Real Live, AA was just high-velocity ammo pointed at the sky, point it at a tank life the Germans did, it became an effective anti-tank.

Thank you

It is not a preemptive attack. It is a normal attack like Art and Inf, except if it rolls a hit, the attacker must destroy a tank and nothing else. If their is no more tank, then the AAA rolls for nothing.
    That’s what I meant with:

AntiArmorArtillery that roll every round of battle @1 but destroy an Arm on a hit. And nothing else, neither Inf nor Art.

It might even be difficult to chose which piece the defender destroy: an Art@2 or an AArmorA@1? Will you take the chance on a next round to destroy a precious tank hide behind some attacking Inf units or go for the better odds to hit plain and simple? Part of the fun, I think.

• Customizer

I like the idea of using it offensively against tanks during CM a one round barrage against tanks at a 1:1-3 ratio. On defense it attacks against air per normal rules or “classic” AA rules.

• '17 '16

@userx:

@Baron:

I like that because you are correct, in Real Live, AA was just high-velocity ammo pointed at the sky, point it at a tank like the Germans did, it became an effective anti-tank.

Thank you

I just learned that Germans put their Flak 88 on tracks and plates so it becomes the Tiger (Mark VI) and deliver them for the Battle of Kursk in 1943.
    This gun seems quite an invention.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m