• @Eggman:

It’s tough to say since you need a holistic approach that incorporates all the Axis powers.  Clearly there is nothing really Italy can do by itself against the US and UK if it is sitting with 10 - 20 IPCs a turn.  Generally I’ve seen a few approaches:

• Have Germany take Southern France so that it can trickle in some ships.

• Have Germany take Yugoslavia so that it can build an Air Base there.  Combined with Italian-based air power this gives you a 6 unit scramble which should help a lot to protect SZ97.  If Germany also drops a Naval Base into the territory, it can also contribute ships that way instead of using France.

• Have Germany use its Air Force to clean out all Allied ships that make an appearance.

• Any combination of the above, obviously…

The biggest thing to remember, is that if the US is making enough of a problem on the Europe board that Italy can’t handle it even with German help, then Japan is clearly not doing enough on the other board to attract the Allies’ attention.  The Pacific board is grossly weighted to an Axis victory.  If you skip the early DoW, at the end of J3 you should be able to have just about every Chinese territory in hand plus most of Siberia, or, if you went with the early attack, you should be parked off Malaya with the fleet and hold the DEI.  In either case, the US will be forced to ease up on assisting in the Med or risk losing on the Pacific map.

EDIT: I should mention that I’ve lost a couple of league games as the Allies even with having Italy down to collecting around 7 IPC a turn, because I couldn’t do that and keep Japan down enough to prevent them from turning the tide to the Axis` favor.

When you say “If Germany drops a Naval base into the territory, it can contribute ships”  Doesn’t Germany also have to have an IC there before it can place ships in the SZ during ‘Mobilize units’ phase?  Or am I totally missing where the ships Germany is contributing are coming from?

Same thing w/ S.France statement???

• '12

@rmcbride:

When you say “If Germany drops a Naval base into the territory, it can contribute ships”  Doesn’t Germany also have to have an IC there before it can place ships in the SZ during ‘Mobilize units’ phase?

Yes, that is a misstatement.  I should have written drops an IC into the territory.  You don’t need a Naval Base in Yugoslavia since you can make use of the ones in Italy proper from the same SZ.

• @Eggman:

@rmcbride:

When you say “If Germany drops a Naval base into the territory, it can contribute ships”  Doesn’t Germany also have to have an IC there before it can place ships in the SZ during ‘Mobilize units’ phase?

Yes, that is a misstatement.  I should have written drops an IC into the territory.  You don’t need a Naval Base in Yugoslavia since you can make use of the ones in Italy proper from the same SZ.

Ok thanx, that clarifies & now makes sense.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m