The balance of sportsmanship & competition among A&A players

• Fair enough; I knew you were talking about Classic, just saying that all Russia has to do is stack Karelia turn 1 with 19 Inf, 2 Tanks, 2 Fighters and there’s no way Germany can take it.

• Customizer

@BJCard:

Fair enough; I knew you were talking about Classic, just saying that all Russia has to do is stack Karelia turn 1 with 19 Inf, 2 Tanks, 2 Fighters and there’s no way Germany can take it.

LOL yeah that’s what I didn’t really convey in the story. He could have easily prevented that and we would have helped him out. We would have started over, anything to keep playing. He was angry that we would even attack him that early in the game. He thought we un-sportsman like for going all out early. Had he been some kind of newbie we would have. He had indicated that he was well versed in the game and told us he would essentially mop the floor with us.

You have to remember too, this was 1992-1995 we didn’t have AA.org no online forum all of your experience was pretty much f2f gatherinings and nerds networking. A lot of our meet-ups had to coordinate via yours truly because I was the only one who owned the game. I essentially used it like a Bible trying to convert Risk players to our much better religion of Axis&Allies LOL.

What really wrecked our group is finding Shogun at the Goodwill and a couple of the gang really went all in for Magic CCG. Once we got Shogun the “tank-thrower” only wanted to play that game. We tried doing Talisman which didn’t work out for lots of reasons. Finally the deathnell was tech school and work for me. My friends church missions and military service. Plus even though I was younger I graduated high school earlier. There just wasn’t time anymore.

These days I play a lot of solo games and read forums. I even have hopes of getting my wife to play. As far as finding game nights I just don’t have any interest in playing at card shops with a bunch of strangers who are half my age. The only promising thought is there is a “Men’s strategy game night” at church my wife and I attend occassionally might check that out. It’s generally mature late twenties to early thirties guys playing Risk and Catan it looks like but ehh who knows.

• A lot of our meet-ups had to coordinate via yours truly because I was the only one who owned the game. I essentially used it like a Bible trying to convert Risk players to our much better religion of Axis&Allies LOL.

Toblerone: I love this part.
    I think we could see how addiction(and love) of this game as a Cult at times.
    You are either in or out.
    If in, there is no leaving and we have to collect other members.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Where can I get one of these BJ Cards you’re named after?
    That sounds really good. :)

––This is “Classic Garg!”, and although his humor is sometimes off-beat(psychotic?), it’s what I enjoy about his character(mental?).
    ----BTW, I haven’t heard from you directly since my “BarBeQue Battleships” sank your “Candy-covered Cruisers”!  :-D

“Tall Paul”

• Great article and yeah sounds like your past games were about the same as mine. ONly a few good old friends we olny the occasional “beep” while throw a dice in disguse. As long as it’s just that….quick. Sometimes you just have to blow off a little steam and then realize “It’s just a game”. Plus later it’s great comical material against you. “Hey man don’t blow up if you lose this battle” and so forth. HAHA

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m