Don't Shoot Me But I Still play 1st edition OOB

• We have not really seen too much of an issue.  The Axis are 1-3 in the OOB 1st edition.  I was the one win for the Axis when I was Japan.  Took India T3, and Moscow by T8.  :-D

Got a game coming up March 2nd.  Any suggestions for the Axis?   :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help.

• TripleA

Yeah always take london and india round 3. You can do it every game all day everyday.

• Customizer

“Don’t Shoot Me But I Still play 1st edition OOB”

Nice!  I still play the Nova edition on occasion… (thanks to Reloader!!! who helped - no made it better - collect what was missing from my original!)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

He means the first edition of global…

• Customizer

Oh….

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, dick.

Heheheh - just josh’in ya Gar.

Oh I take it as praise.

And I’m happy to “put you in your place” ;)

• Customizer

heheeh - you would.

Was kinda wondering later… because COW’s statement puzzled me.  Duh.  Wrong edition.

• @Cow:

Yeah always take london and india round 3. You can do it every game all day everyday.

Yeah I was figuring on threatening London, that way you can threaten london and leningrad at the same time.

Crushing India turn 3 is usually a good idea as well.  Thanks for the input Cow.

• @Cow:

Cow, was reading this older thread.  When you say you can “take London & India–-All day, everyday”.    Were you only referring to the AAG40-1e specifically?  Did they change the set-ups in 2e so this is not as easy & how???

@El:

@Cow:

Cow, was reading this older thread.  When you say you can “take London & India–-All day, everyday”.    Were you only referring to the AAG40-1e specifically?  Did they change the set-ups in 2e so this is not as easy & how???

2e is a TOTALLY different game…  Setup, Pieces, Rules, you name it.

• Customizer

Gar,

–-- I agree with you that 1940-Global 2nd Edition is a quite different game as far as gameplay goes. In fact it is so different that my Dad and older brother are (FINALLY) up-grading straight to these rules from the old OOB rules without ever looking at the numerous Alpha rules.
    ----One thing this allows, besides more balanced gameplay, is that we can more easily “recruit” players from the local colleges that are versed in the 2nd Edition rules.
    ----The original OOB rules were interesting, but it was definitely time for a change! And it’s a great IMPROVEMENT, too!
    What a GREAT GAME!!!

“Tall Paul”

If you are still playing OOB now… you deserve to get shot.

There are no more excuses!

• @Gargantua:

If you are still playing OOB now… you deserve to get shot.

There are no more excuses!

No I’m still not playing OOB, I was hoping to get Cow’s input on the comment he made (regarding taking India & London) to Piazza2425 on the Feb 11th post. So don’t load you gun yet.

• TripleA

All the rule changes were done to benefit the allies. If you are playing OOB the allies are garbage.
    ~

1. taking calcutta is much easier. How is it even possible to defend India?

2. Even if you are not calcutta oriented and you are just a crazy guy who does whatever, on round 1 you can take anzac if you win a 1 infantry vs 1 infantry battle.

3. even if you are none of the above drop minors round 2 or 3 and wam bam shazam you have the ground forces necessary to secure all of asia.

4. J3 anzac is 100% as well. TO do this you have to DoW J1 take west australia. Then J2 fly 13 air units on it. Then J3 bam anzac dead, thanks for playing. (you can get the rest of your air if you feel like dropping an airbase on kwangsi instead of doing the caroline thing).

~

As far as Europe goes. Look at how empty london is. So you defend london. Say bye to Egypt, just give Italy a few rounds.

~

Round 1 hit sz 110, sz 111, sz 112. 1 sub vs 1 destroyer in sz 109. buy dd sub carrier.

You sink a bunch of naval and place sz 112. He can only hit with 6 units, 3 fighter tactical carrier and dd vs sub dd cruiser bship carrier 2 fighter. You are 1 up. Can UK defend itself? Not with Naval.

So he buys 9 infantry.  Flies his stuff in gets the canada dudes in and yet Germany still has 50-61% to defend UK. OK ignore it and go for Russia. Simple.

So what stops Italy from taking Egypt? Unless you pull India air to somaliland and then fly it to Egypt (or pull it to transjordan) you don’t stand a chance. Even if you do, you got like a 1/3 chance of holding.
    ~

Sure USA makes 30 when at war (25 in 2nd edition), but the only other allied power making NO money is ANZAC.

**Point is OOB can get super stupid super fast or end up being super boring super stalemate. Generally speaking yeah I J1 DOW and yeah I J3 ANZAC or I wait and take calcutta. I prefer ANZAC, easy to defend and it is easier to work to India than to push out later. At first global was super boring and I generally played three rounds (sea lion / calcutta and was done) then when I developed other strategies it was fun for the first couple games, but then I realized OOB pacific was just stupid.

OOB had few strategies and you were almost always better off just going gun ho for the quick win.**

I will also add that if you do not do some sort of all in play as the axis you will lose the game in the long run.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m