The only reason i bought this game is for the new sculpts

• I love all the Axis & Allies games but this is a good game for beginners. I really wanted the German Tiger 1s and the FW-190s. The Russian I-S 2s are nice but i wish they woulda went with the KV-1. At some point i will pick up the Global 1940s for the new Italy and ANZAC pieces.

• Already have the Global 1940 1st editions……wondering where u can get the new Italian  and ANZAC. pieces?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Spring 1942 2nd edition, Global 2nd Edition.

www.historicalboardgaming.com

• the only reason i bought this game is for the new sculpts  <<

You’re in good company.  It’s likewise one of the reasons why some people (myself included) tend to buy multiple copies of the same game.  To adapt a phrase used in the old Flintstones cartoon series, sculpt enthusiasts could be described as members in good standing of the Loyal Order of Piece Junkies.

• i have 14 Axis&Allies games worth of pieces and a huge lot of the Miniatures(lots of rare pieces). Any chance i get to add to my arsenal u better believe i stock up. I ended up buying two copies of Europe1940 and Pacific1940 before the prices went way up. (pretty happy about that)

• Customizer

“sculpt enthusiasts could be described as members in good standing of the Loyal Order of Piece Junkies.”

EH eh eh - oh yeah… I think a few of us fall into this category…  :wink:

• Customizer

Gotta give creds to WotC.
    They started listening to us who vote with our wallets.
    The game pieces have become more varied and, to me, better sculpted.

• @sgtwiltan:

Gotta give creds to WotC. They started listening to us who vote with our wallets. The game pieces have become more varied and, to me, better sculpted.

Yes, good point.  WotC has attracted criticism over various A&A-related issues over the years, but in fairness it’s true that the vast majority of the pieces in the full A&A sculpts range were introduced during the WotC era.

• Customizer

Spring 42 IMO is when I saw a big change for the better in sculpt quality. My revised and 50th aniversary had some quality issues despite the fact that they are really great games. The games before and after seem to be and have been better in build quality.

As far as 41 goes it’s a really fun game to play and a great training tool. Us married guys have even been able to get the missus to play one in a while.

• @toblerone77:

As far as 41 goes it’s a really fun game to play and a great training tool. Us married guys have even been able to get the missus to play one in a while.

And the definitive proof that your training efforts have been successful is when the missus reaches the point where she wins most of the games.

• I thought we were meant to let them win!

• @wittmann:

I thought we were meant to let them win!

I’m not really in a position to address that issue, but I was referring to a situation in which the missus wins the game despite hubby’s best efforts to defeat her.  To paraphrase an old expression, “It’s all fun and games until the wife starts to capture your victory cities.”

• '14 '13

@CWO:

@wittmann:

I thought we were meant to let them win!

I’m not really in a position to address that issue, but I was referring to a situation in which the missus wins the game despite hubby’s best efforts to defeat her.  To paraphrase an old expression, “It’s all fun and games until the wife starts to capture your victory cities.”

My wife is military like me, and I’m trying to get her involved in this part of my life. However, it’s all about “train as you fight” in this household, so she will get no mercy. She will get a very detailed block of instruction, and then it’s game on, lol.

• @jluna1273:

My wife is military like me, and I’m trying to get her involved in this part of my life. However, it’s all about “train as you fight” in this household, so she will get no mercy. She will get a very detailed block of instruction, and then it’s game on, lol.

You might also quote to her the inspirational words of Field Marshall Karl Freiherr von Müffling, Chief of Staff of the Prussian Army, when in 1824 when he witnessed for the first time a game of Kriegsspiel being played with colour-coded metal pieces on a topographical map: “It’s not a game at all, it’s training for war!  I shall recommend it most emphatically to the whole army.”

• '14 '13

LOL, that may scare her off completely.

• @jluna1273:

LOL, that may scare her off completely.

Well, maybe not.  The various global-level A&A games are played at the strategic level, which means that the players represent the national command authorities of their respective powers.  For the U.S., this basically translates into the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the military side and the President’s cabinet on the civilian side.  So think of A&A as a theoretical military exercise being conducted by the top brass, and see it as a fun way of experiencing for a few hours what it’s like to exercise authority at that level rather than operating in the parts of the chain of command that you and your wife occupy in real life.  And the nice part is that, in contrast with real a military exercise, there are no negative consequences for your performance evaluation if you mess things up in an A&A game!

• '14 '13

LOL, well of all the fine qualities that my wife possesses, patience isn’t one of them. The first Global 1940 game played lasted 18 hours. She’d never seen anything close to what we did, and thought we were crazy.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Tell your wife that Axis and Allies is a battle of the mind.

That will dip in to all that latte sipping, yoga matting, feminizing, self enrichment philosophy.

• @jluna1273:

LOL, well of all the fine qualities that my wife possesses, patience isn’t one of them. The first Global 1940 game played lasted 18 hours. She’d never seen anything close to what we did, and thought we were crazy.

Then it’s a good thing for her that, to the best of my knowledge, Larry Harris has no plans to develop a game called “Axis & Allies: The Hundred Years’ War”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m