1940 Global table & painted pieces

• '14 '13

After seeing all the awesome tables and painted pieces, I was absolutely inspired to make one of my own. Once my wife saw how much space was consumed on the dining room table, I had her full support, lol.

This was my first woodworking project of any kind, and I am very pleased with it. I am gathering a small group of players, and a few helped with ideas on the layout.

Its a basic sheet of plywood bolted down to a 6 foot folding table. I used 1x2 inch pieces to do the trimming.  I rounded off all the edges, sanded it down and gave it a nice cherry mahogany stain. After scanning complex, naval base and air base markers onto adhesive paper, I placed them on the map and topped it off with plexiglass.
    pic 1.jpg
    pic 2.jpg

• '18 '17 '16

“Good work, Commander!” (Darth Vader) and a lot of efforts worth the outcome! Personally, I think a printed map in one piece would look a little bit nicer than the 4-parts OOB map but this is definitely an extra amount of money for things one have got already.

• '14 '13

Yeah, I have read alot of threads and seen several files regarding enlarged map files, but I just didn’t find one that I liked. Since I limited myself to the dimensions of a sheet of plywood, I just went with the OOB board. As I was trying to finalize a layout, it ultimately seemed like the right size map anyway and I just went with it.

• Nice work.  I notice that the tray areas for equipment surround the table on only three sides rather than all four sides, which is an interesting and original design feature that I don’t think I’ve seen on any other custom-made tables; the result looks very good indeed.

• '14 '13

Thanks. The other half of my garage has a heavy bag mounted and a weight set, so putting this up along the opposite side wall still gives us the middle to move around.

• '14 '13

Here are a few more pics. Scanning the base and complex markers worked out well. Stuck those on the board so we don’t have to mess with those during setup. There are a few Russian infantry pieces on the right that I have started painting.

LOL, did anyone else notice the error? My son was helping place the complexes and bases. He put one in Central America instead of Central United States. It was corrected before the first game on this table.

pic3-1.jpg

• '14 '13

LOL, okay so I started painting pieces during my breaks from the table project. I just kept finding more and more pictures on this site that motivated me to do all this. I think I came down with A&A fever, good thing I have a loving and understanding wife.

pic 4.jpg

• Sponsor

Great work, and welcome to the addictive and compulsive obsessive hobby that is A&A customizations.

• Customizer

YG,

@Young:

Welcome to the addictive and compulsive obsessive hobby that is A&A customizations.Â

Amen, Brother! :-D

“Tall Paul”

• '18 '17 '16

Scanning the base and complex markers worked out well

Could you please upload the scans? I like to modify an electronic map by inserting the icons (…always bothered by the card board markers)

• Customizer

Nice till for the IPCs.

• '14 '13

@sgtwiltan:

Nice till for the IPCs.

Thanks. It’s actually an adjustable cutlery tray made of bamboo that a found at Walmart.

• Table is looking good, painted pieces are looking good too!  :-)

• Sponsor

@jluna1273:

@sgtwiltan:

Nice till for the IPCs.

Thanks. It’s actually an adjustable cutlery tray made of bamboo that a found at Walmart.

Way to improvise, I find my best stuff at dollar stores.

• '12

That’s a total beauty. Good choice of stain.

Yrs.,
    R.

• '14 '13

@Raymond:

That’s a total beauty. Good choice of stain.

Yrs.,
    R.

Thanks, my wife gets all the credit on that.

• '17 '16 '15

nice setup!  but painting the little star on the russian tanks is a trip

• '14 '13

@barney:

nice setup!   but painting the little star on the russian tanks is a trip

Barney, I don’t want to mislead you, the red star is a decal. I’ve been trying Flames of War decals, but I just bought 30 packs of decals from I-94 Enterprises.

• '14 '13

OK, so last little touch on the table. We found some camo material and used Velcro to go around the table with it.

Table - Front.jpg

• '14 '13

Now that the table is officially done, I am back to painting the sculpts. Working on Japan now.

Japenese Fighters & Tac Bombers.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m