• This is a general question, not specific to 1940 but for all of axis and allies. What are the rules when a fighter plane goes into combat with ground  units?

In my hypothetical lets say there is one inf in Normandy and a fighter in Belgium/Netherlands. I know the plane cannot take the territory without ground units but could the ftr go and attack the inf and kill it without retaliation? Or can the inf throw a rock at the plane and take it down?

Basically can ground units take out air units on the combat strip if they roll the appropriate number to score a  hit?

My group of friends has a special rule where a plane can do two “swoops”, attack twice on the ground  units but then cannot participate in any other combat until the next round, then ground units would have at it? this makes the aircraft (in my mind) Over Powered to ground units, but not other air or sea (with the sub having its rules as well).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Basically, Air units need to be thought of as the same as any other ground unit, OTHER than their movement ability.

They can attack ground/sea/air, and be attacked by all of the above to, whether attacking OR defending.

Your “2 swoop” house rule lol… is interesting, I kind of like it, so long as you can use AA to protect your units.  But it’s just that a house rule.

• If you think about it from a representative point, that one air unit represents many aircraft.  That infantry unit represents an entire unit made up of many many men.  Historically an aircraft wing did not eliminate entire divisions or battalions of units on their own.

You’d be much better served to having any unit the aircraft is paired with attack at +1 on die rolls if there are no competing aircraft in the territory.  If there are aircraft in the territory the attacker can opt to engage the aircraft in an air battle or ignore them and both sides’ ground units roll at +1, otherwise the bonus for pairing with attackers is negated.

• '12

@Spendo02:

You’d be much better served to having any unit the aircraft is paired with attack at +1 on die rolls if there are no competing aircraft in the territory.  If there are aircraft in the territory the attacker can opt to engage the aircraft in an air battle or ignore them and both sides’ ground units roll at +1, otherwise the bonus for pairing with attackers is negated.

Heh heh that sounds suspiciously like the new 1914 rules…

• Its a pretty fair representation, yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m