Playing 1940.2 with 1940.1 box? (AAA pieces, charts, etc.)

• Hi all,

I’ve bought G40.1 maybe a year ago, and I never actually played it FTF. I only played it by forum with ABattlemap, so I never got to use the pieces or the map. Now that G40.2 is out, I’m not sure if I’m willing to buy it seeing that I didn’t use G40.1 yet. So I would like to use my G40.1 stuff to play G40.2. Here are the things that I think I need :

-E40.2 and P40.2 rules and FAQ (from AH)
    -Updated setup charts (I printed Minor Treat’s, or Sexhual Panda’s, for Alpha 3.9 and I think the only differences are 1 less UK Inf in Egypt and the Soviet attack on Korea that nullifies the NAP?)
    -AAA pieces for each nation (that’s the problem)
    -?

Am I missing something?

Now, for the AAA pieces. What should I do to get these pieces? I guess I could use the old AAguns from previous versions (I have almost every A&A version) and “glue” them atop of nation markers, or paint them to match the different colors. Alternatively, I could buy some AAA units from Historical Board Gaming. Having not played G40.1 for a long time, I’m not even sure the new AAA rules were implemented at that time. So according to your experience, how many AAA pieces I should be looking at for each nation (assuming I’m using one AAA piece per territory with grey chips)?

I did not find a “AAA pieces package for G40 Alpha rules” or something like that on Historical Board Gaming, it would be the best!

So, what do you guys think of all that? What should I do to replace the cardboard AAguns?

Thanks

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Go to HBG or ebay and get some italians, grey ICs, and a 2008 edition of Risk for the major ICs.  Tiger tanks from HBG are cool too.

• Thanks for the tip for the ICs and the Tigers. Why are you mentioning the Italians?

• Customizer

In the 2nd edition of the 1940 games, Italy and ANZAC got unique new sculpts. Italy now has actual Italian equipment instead of simply brown German units and ANZAC has actual Australian equipment instead of simply grey British units.
    Most of the Italian sculpts are similar to the unit choices for FMG’s Italian set with a few differences, plus FMG didn’t make nation specific AA guns. As for the ANZAC units, some people don’t like them because while they are uniquely Australian, I guess a lot of them didn’t see wide use in the actual war (Sentinel tank, Boomerang fighter, etc.). Also, the capital ships are basically alternate British models that aren’t in the UK’s unit set – HMS Glorious CV , HMS Warspite BB – so some history “purists” took issue with that. I figure what was WOTC to do? The Australian/New Zealand navies didn’t really HAVE any carriers or battleships at that time. What warships they did have were mostly provided by England anyway.
    Personally, I was happy to see new and unique units for both countries and didn’t really care about the exact historical accuracy. The only issue I had was with the giant ANZAC infantry units. They are a head taller than all other nations’ infantry and really look weird on the board. I took them out and use the old ANZAC infantry units (British soldier in ANZAC grey) with the new equipment units.

By the way, HBG sells AA guns for all the nations individually as well. You probably wouldn’t need more than 5 or 6 for each country if you use the stacking chips, unless you just buy a lot of AA guns when you play.

• Thanks for the info knp7765. I’ve seen some AAA pieces on HBG that are out of stock. In the meantime, I’ll probably use the old AAguns from AAE, AAP, AAR, AAP40 and AAE40 with national markers.

• Sponsor

@variance:

Go to HBG or ebay and get some italians, grey ICs, and a 2008 edition of Risk for the major ICs.  Tiger tanks from HBG are cool too.

Or you can paint half your ICs a different color.

• @knp7765:

The only issue I had was with the giant ANZAC infantry units. They are a head taller than all other nations’ infantry and really look weird on the board.

Also, their round base has a larger diameter than the standard A&A infantry base, so they don’t fit in the central depression of standard A&A mini poker chips, which is a bit annoying.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m