• I have to say I’m not a big fan of the geography on this map.

Paris is way to far to the west.

Munich is in Tyrol.

Poland has a coast line in 1914… that’s news to me.  Prussia should boarder the “Livonia” province and Poland should be land locked.

The Aegean sea, and Turkey in particular are completely placed incorrectly.

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Maybe I missed the conversation, but it seems the ottomans can’t have their navy safe in the Black Sea from the mediterranean fleets even if they control constantinople?

We haven’t heard yet, but I’m assuming there are strait rules, just like in other A&A games for Panama and Egypt. Like you, I wonder if the player controlling Constantinople has the ability to have their fleet on either side of the sea zone at will. Can the British attack the Ottoman fleet even though the Ottoman fleet is clearly in the Black Sea and the British fleet is clearly in the Aegean?

• Customizer

Tell us about it.

The East Prussia in Poland issue has been a scandal for weeks.

Paris is closer to Berlin than Moscow for gamey reasons; my instinct would have been to cut down the tts, certainly Burgundy & Lorraine should be one tt. If its too easy for Germany to take Paris give the teutons fewer starting units, or reduce their IPC income - don’t mess with geography by pushing Paris into the Atlantic.

Its all a bit like Moscow being somewhere in central Siberia on the old WWII boards.

The Finnish Atlantic coastline, Schleswig-Holstein in Denmark and the Greece-Turkey border are other shockers, and Rome being a tiny enclave to shield it from an Austrian AA just looks silly.

And why on earth isn’t Sevastopol 2 tts with the Caucasus in the south east bordering Armenia in the north and Mesopotamia to the south carved out of the weird “Mesopotamia”? Hejaz is also sadly missed, especially when you read the UK frontline report where Britain invades Trans-Jordan from the Red Sea.

• @manstein39:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of the geography on this map.

Munich is in Tyrol.

Poland has a coast line in 1914… that’s news to me.  Prussia should boarder the “Livonia” province and Poland should be land locked.

Well, ‘Poland’ wasn’t a country as it was part of Russia at the time, so I’m ok with the territory of ‘Poland’ having a coastline.  Clearly Paris is moved to the West to allow bigger territories on the West front- again, fine with me.

No Axis & Allies game has been true to geography exactly- who would want to play Global 1940 with a tiny Europe?

• @manstein39:

It’s even arguable whether Poland should be there at all.  Poland was partitioned between Russia, Austria and Prussia back in the 18th century, and it didn’t re-emerge as an independent state until after WWI.  I don’t know if any of the three partitioning powers (Russia, Austria and Prussia) used “Poland” as an official regional name for their piece of Poland’s territory between 1772 and 1919.  My understanding is that Tsarist Russian tried hard to suppress anything that smacked of Polish nationalism.

• @BJCard:

@manstein39:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of the geography on this map.

Munich is in Tyrol.

Poland has a coast line in 1914… that’s news to me.� Prussia should boarder the “Livonia” province and Poland should be land locked.

Well, ‘Poland’ wasn’t a country as it was part of Russia at the time, so I’m ok with the territory of ‘Poland’ having a coastline.� Clearly Paris is moved to the West to allow bigger territories on the West front- again, fine with me.

No Axis & Allies game has been true to geography exactly- who would want to play Global 1940 with a tiny Europe?

Sorry for any confusion, but I was referring to the territory of Poland.  The Prussian boarder should extend all the way to ‘Livonia’ in this map, because the territory of Poland was landlocked in reality.

I understand the need to shrink/enlarge continents for playability, but this is one of the most distorted maps since the original Axis and Allies.

• Customizer

Poland was a distinct political entity that the Tzar had promised independence to after the war, and it most definitely did not have a coastline. Certainly not including Konigsburg.

I’ve no great objection to the telescoping of some tts to make them practical, for example Belgium is twice the size it is geographically, but to place two tts between Paris and the German border is pushing it too far.

Its the number of tts, not the physical size of them, that determines the game. When it take Berlin based infantry 4 turns to cross the Lorriane border you know something has been fixed unfairly. The Americans can be in Paris before the Berliners can reach it!

• Customizer

When people in 1914 talked about Poland, they meant Congress Poland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Poland

• @Flashman:

Poland was a distinct political entity that the Tzar had promised independence to after the war, and it most definitely did not have a coastline. Certainly not including Konigsburg.

I’ve no great objection to the telescoping of some tts to make them practical, for example Belgium is twice the size it is geographically, but to place two tts between Paris and the German border is pushing it too far.

Its the number of tts, not the physical size of them, that determines the game. When it take Berlin based infantry 4 turns to cross the Lorriane border you know something has been fixed unfairly. The Americans can be in Paris before the Berliners can reach it!

Lorraine really should be a German territory at the start of this game anyways.  I would have preferred that the Lorraine and Burgundy territories were just merged on this map into one large territory called Burgundy.

• Again, forget that the territory named “Poland” is named “Poland.”  If it were given a generic name like “West Russia” it wouldn’t be as big of an issue that it has a baltic coastline.  Granted, its weird that Germany doesn’t have all of Prussia, but I’ll say it again, the map is distorted for playability reasons.

• @BJCard:

Again, forget that the territory named “Poland” is named “Poland.”  If it were given a generic name like “West Russia” it wouldn’t be as big of an issue that it has a baltic coastline.  Granted, its weird that Germany doesn’t have all of Prussia, but I’ll say it again, the map is distorted for playability reasons.

It’s possible to make the game playable and balanced without resorting to distortions like taking East Prussia off the map and including it in a region called ‘Poland’.

• Fair enough, I guess I am so excited about the game right now that I can overlook these map issues- If I want to look at a map I’ll look on google maps or an atlas.

• @CWO:

@manstein39:

Poland has a coast line in 1914… that’s news to me.�  Prussia should boarder the “Livonia” province and Poland should be land locked.

It’s even arguable whether Poland should be there at all.  Poland was partitioned between Russia, Austria and Prussia back in the 18th century, and it didn’t re-emerge as an independent state until after WWI.  I don’t know if any of the three partitioning powers (Russia, Austria and Prussia) used “Poland” as an official regional name for their piece of Poland’s territory between 1772 and 1919.  My understanding is that Tsarist Russian tried hard to suppress anything that smacked of Polish nationalism.

Alexander II actually gave Poland some self autonomy during the Great Reforms but because a lot of Polish noblemen revolted, after being denied more autonomy than what the Tsar

was willing to give, it was then brutally suppressed and had all of its autonomy taken away again. The region was still referred to as ‘Poland’ because Poles were subjected to different laws

than what Russians were.

• @Hitlers:

Alexander II had actually gane Poland some self autonomy during the Great Reforms but because a lot of Polish noblemen revolted, after being denied more autonomy than what the Tsar was willing to give, it was then brutally suppressed and had all of its autonomy taken away again.

Reminds me of an old joke: a royal advisor goes to see the king and says in great agitation, “Majesty, the peasants are revolting!”  The king casually answers, “Yes, I quite agree.”

• @BJCard:

Fair enough, I guess I am so excited about the game right now that I can overlook these map issues- If I want to look at a map I’ll look on google maps or an atlas.

I understand perfectly. I just want a ww1 A&A game, I really don’t care if Poland has a coastline or Bulgaria doesn’t, as long as I get the game. Though I will concede that a landlocked Poland would have added a slight strategic shift in thinking for the Russian player, It’s still not enough to make me really care.

• Customizer

Greece having a border with Constantinople (which it shouldn’t) should matter to you since it provides the Allies with an unexpected gateway into the Turksih capital.

• It’s all the same sea zone so I really don’t see what difference it would make….If you can amphib into Bulgaria you might as well go a millionth of an inch over and amphib into Constantinople.

• Customizer

But Greece is likely to be less well defended, and from there you can attack Constantinople over land. There’s nothing the Turks can do about this other than invading Greece and adding 4 units to the Allies. With correct Bulgaria, they can use that tt as a front line against the Allies.

• Or they can let the Allies invade and take the damage from 4 extra ottoman units and then constantly just pump reinforcments over from 1 whole province away. Not to mention with only 2 transports in the region, it would take a small mirical of the dice for the Allies to actually threaten the Ottomans from Greece. And if the situation is one where the allies can afford a large fleet of transports for more units…then it’s likely that the Centrals have already lost.

• Are these micro dice?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m