Played this for the first time last night…

• And it was great. Never gotten around to playing this version, but after crushing some India in the Original Pacific as Japan my friend randomly pulled this game out and 3 of us sat down to play. I basically single handedly won as Russia against Germany, as GB proceded to lose every battle she fought…she lost a battleship to a transport. The U.S. did send me a lot of fighter however, but on R2 I massacered 70% of the German army who foolishly fell into my trap, and after that I conquered N. Africa with the glorious IS2 (taken from 1941) and blitzed Berlin.

Great fun all around, just thought I would annoucne that I finally played it, good day.

• I love this game.
    Played recently, after years of not playing. Was Germany( as usual) and my Russian opponent came up with a game winning trap too.
    I ended up losing.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

This game was always my favorite, for ease and speed of the game for new players. The introduction of Convoy Centers was a great addition.

• I loved this game too. I like the map. I wish the other games were made in this style or something close to it. The Pacific game was good too. Japan only had so much time to win it or they were hamburger. Kind of the way it really was in real life.

• I enjoyed this game until I learned of the GERMAN HAMMER strategy…  Could not play anymore because of how gamebreaking it is.

• How does that work?

• Basic RUSSIAN HAMMER:
    Round 1 and 2: purchase all Infantry as Germany. 
    Attack British fleets with Submarines
    Abandon France and the Med.  All forces move towards belorussia.
    Round 3 and 4: purchase all Armor, continue moving forces towards belorussia.
    After round 4, all purchases are Infantry to defend Berlin.
    Round 5: large battle in belorussia.  Should win convincingly, round 6 take Moscow easily.
    Or, if they retreat from belorussia to moscow, round 6 big battle for Moscow- still win rather convincingly.

Bottom line, the only two territories that matter: Berlin and Moscow.
    The only thing the western allies can do to make the game a little closer is to send Fighters to Moscow every turn.  Even then the big stack battle (round 5 belorussia or round 6 moscow) is still German favored.

• Nice to know. Not sure I could do it though: sounds like a cheat!
    Started a game last night and after the 1st turn could not see how I could win(again), as Allied economy is huge compared to the German one.
    I tried to fight everywhere(as always).
    Still love it.

• Yes, it isn’t very realistic to abandon all fronts for Moscow, which is why that strat spoiled it for me.  Now I will only play Europe as Allies against someone who either doesn’t know about GERMAN HAMMER or refuses to do it.

• I am a stick in the mud Axis player, happy to play the same strategy over and over again.
    I love to go down and bring the world with me!

• another great game……one of my iraq buddies came to pittsburgh over the summer and we got a few games in. I also love playing as Germany. Sometimes i alternate between artillery rd. 1. Armor rd 2. and just push for Moscow…10 arty…8 armor…10 arty …8 armor. My stategy is to take russian territories each turn and place my 12ipc bonus at the brginning of the game down towards egypt(3 arty)

• @corporal:

another great game……one of my iraq buddies came to pittsburgh over the summer and we got a few games in. I also love playing as Germany. Sometimes i alternate between artillery rd. 1. Armor rd 2. and just push for Moscow…10 arty…8 armor…10 arty …8 armor. My stategy is to take russian territories each turn and place my 12ipc bonus at the brginning of the game down towards egypt(3 arty)

I hope not on Libya as you have to have units on the territory.
    My 12 ipcs as Germany goes to a Transport and 1 art unit. The transport allows me to contest leningrad or look like I am going to attempt Sealion. Either way it is a win-win situation for me.

As Germany I have never lost however have come close. My first turn is always every single plane goes and attacks British fleets, then subs do there attacks on the u.s. And british fleets, except for Canada. As the Canadian fleet stretches my fleet out a bit too much.

Then I hammer Russia with all armour buys however I do sometimes buy subs to keep the Western Allies at bay.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m