31st December 1862: bloody encounter on Stones River

• Today in 1862 the two Western armies of Bragg and Rosecrans came to blows in Tennessee.
    Unlike their earlier meeting in Kentucky, numbers were very similar, but the South had 5000 fewer. Both Commanders elected to strike the right wing, but, Bragg hit first and Rosecrans had to cancel his attack so ferocious was the Southern strike.
    Hardee’s two division Corps(McCown and Cleburne) smashed into McCook’s three smaller Divisions, wrecking two of them. The third was commanded by a diminutive Irishman, who had shown his worth at Perryville,Ky in October. He was instrumental in building a defence, upon which the Federal army rallied, despite the addition of Polk’s two Division Corps follow up attack. This Corps attack was not well implemented.
    Sheridan had saved the army, but his Division was wrecked and  all three of his Brigade commanders were killed.
    Bragg then ordered his Right flank Division, that of former Presidential Candidate, John Breckinridge, to assault the Union Left, but if was badly managed and came to nought.
    By 4.30pm night had fallen. Bragg believed he had won a great victory: he had captured 3000 prisoners and 28 guns. Rosecrans rightly refused to leave the field and after a day’s lull Bragg foolishly threw Breckinridge’s Division at a prepared position and instead he retreated on the 3rd January to Tullahoma, Tn. His soldiers’ efforts were wasted and his Generals began to grumble that he was not the best man to lead them.
    It would be nine months before the two armies again met on the battlefield.

• Thank you Cromwell.
    I waited a long time to post that one and enjoyed doing it.
    I’ve said it is not easy as I use my phone, not a PC, and 300 words is about its limit, so I have to check myself and hold back!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m