• '16 '15 '10

@ghr2:

In all honesty the ONLY real reason why japan would wait past turn 2, is if he wants to give Germany more time on russia.  It actually helps Japan if Japan declares earlier since it closes the economic gap soo quickly.

Similarly, if Japan doesn’t declare by J2, then in many scenarios UK should declare and get the extra +15.

True, this could keep USA out of the war for another turn (though without income diminution), but Japan pays a price by not taking the strategically essential Philippines on J3 (or the also important FIC, if Japan wants the +10).  As Cow notes, an early declaration by UK can also be advantageous if it helps China.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Holding the Americans in z101 until round 4 could be useful if Germany is taking a fast run at Moscow, building tanks/mechs the first 2 rounds and then bombers to intimidate Russia into full turtle then Moscow capitulation.  With a schedule like that Germany can devote its round 4 build to stacking up France in preparation to counterattack a D-day invasion that comes round 5 at the earliest.

So I wonder if Japan could do anything in China to entice UK into Yunnan?  Maybe some kind of fake India crush setup?  Replace a sealion threat that slows down Barbarossa with an India crush threat that allows both Japan and Germany to do stuff to Russia as well as UK/ANZAC all the while keeping USA stuck in neutral?  Get Malaya and the DEIs first, then Philippines and FIC round 4, maybe Calcutta round 5?

• Why not attack as allies on UK Pac 2?

If Japan passed on a DOW, UK and Anzac get 3 NOs by attacking and can stack Yunnan.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I guess the downside to UK pacific declaring war on round 2 would be that if Japan has enough transports they can probably grab Malaya, Borneo, Kwangtung and all 4 Dutch colonies and still keep USA neutral for another turn.  But they can do most of that anyway, so I guess the incentive for Uk to declare war on round 2 just for the NOs is pretty strong.  But anyway this is only in the unusual case that Japan is holding off declaring war first.

• J1 attack.

I’ve been successful with J2 and J3 attacks, but am always open to new ideas.  I spent a lot of time analyzing a good J1 attack, but could not find anything that could even compare to a J2 or J3 attack.  What is a blueprint for a successful J1 attack?  Am I just missing something?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Look for Cow’s Japan Playbook posted on here in the Global 1940 thread

• '16 '15 '10

@Cgioia:

J1 attack.

I’ve been successful with J2 and J3 attacks, but am always open to new ideas.  I spent a lot of time analyzing a good J1 attack, but could not find anything that could even compare to a J2 or J3 attack.  What is a blueprint for a successful J1 attack?  Am I just missing something?

The blueprint is fairly obvious–kill as much Allied material as you can.

Total IPC value of the Allied material (not counting China) destroyed on J1=56.

Total ipc value of losses to Japan in these attacks (assuming average rolls, a scenario that favors Japan)=19 + 3 lost at Yunnan considering that attack won’t be as strong.  So 22.

Japan NO forfeited=10

USA NO +20 and Anzac +10=30

Extra ipcs gained by Japan=10
    Ipcs lost by Allies=8
    1 ipc lost to Japan not taking Hunan

If you add all this up Japan comes out ahead by 11 ipcs.

Now that is not the end of the argument, because Allies gain strategically by having USA in the war earlier, including +3 from Brazil.  Also, sometimes Japan gets diced in one of these battles and loses a fighter which negates the gain.

However, Japan has also made important strategic gains, including capturing 2 key islands without sacrificing units, and is able to put down 2 ics in ideal locations on J2.  They are in great position to wage a war on China or India.

I’m quite open to the possibility that J2 is actually better but I think J1 has great strengths.

• How does China turn out with a J1 attack?  Are you still able to know them out by J4 or latest J5 with a J1 attack? or do they stick around for the game?

• '20 '18 '17 '15

I disagree with the flying Anzac/India planes into Russia.  If the allies move their planes out of the theater, they would hand a Pacific victory to a competent Japanese player.  If they go for a J3 or J4 India crush move, it becomes even easier without any Indian planes.  then if they double back for AUS and didn’t take nearly as many land losses, and ANZAC has no defensive planes, it’s pretty much giving them another victory city.

it would require substantial US spending in the Pacific, which might offset any fighter advantage.

• Sponsor

I was leaning toward a J2 attack, however, once I calculated that it was impossible to claim the $5 NO for the Islands at the end of turn 2, I choose to stick with the J1 attack.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m