• Sponsor

“Les Miserables”
    9.5 / 10

There will be those that will say that this film is thick with over dramatized, sentimental, artsy pretentiousness…. I won’t be one of them. Without the slightest exposure to anything Les Miserables (other than George Castanza singing Master of the House on an episode of Sienfeld), I went into the theater untainted with expectations of epic emotional grandeur, however, thats exactly what I got for my $11. Tonight I discovered a gem that instilled within me all the cliches about why we love movies. The performances were so powerful, I had already declared it to be the best thing I have ever witnessed on a screen, even before it was over. I was convinced that the entire film was created for me personally, and at times, I felt alone in a theater that in reality, was packed to the rafters (you could hear a pin drop).

It is an understatement that I was incredibly moved by the tragic human condition that was performed so passionately in front of me. Although, I reconize the fact that there are those that will completely disagree, those that will roll their eyes at a film that seems to brainwash a seemingly normal audience with buckets of tears, and feel safe in the thought that they have protected their sensibility from this so called masterpiece that steams with the smell of cheese. For me, that would be just great, than I could truly call it my own, and live life felling that I am one of the few (or should I say one of the millions?) that truly get it, and that would make it feel even more like a personal appreciation. It is safe to say, that I will watch Les Miserables every Christmas for the rest of my life (and I’m not ashamed to admit it).

• You need to watch Les Miserables w/Liam Neilson….much more powerful IMO, albeit w/less singing!

My wife and I just walked out of Les Miserables, the musical, TONIGHT about 90% through it. We are quite the movie buffs and did know how it was going to end.

Not sure Russell Crowe has the pipes for this musical but anne Hathaway’s performance and main song was the highlight, IMO, of the movie.

Really if you liked this you should see the Liam version. Very powerful, great dialog but alas no singing… :|

• I saw it in 3D. Damm those miserable French flags kept poking me for two hours.

I watched it this afternoon, 9/10. This is without having seen previous version, or read the book. Russell Crowe’s singing was, well, interesting. As I told a friend while we exited the theater, he was brought in to play a role, not for his skill of singing. Hugh Jackman was amazing, and so was Anne Hathaway. Definitely some Golden Globe worthy performances.

GG

• Sponsor

@Guerrilla:

I watched it this afternoon, 9/10. This is without having seen previous version, or read the book. Russell Crowe’s singing was, well, interesting. As I told a friend while we exited the theater, he was brought in to play a role, not for his skill of singing. Hugh Jackman was amazing, and so was Anne Hathaway. Definitely some Golden Globe worthy performances.

GG

Russell Crowe’s singing didn’t ruin the movie, but I was definitely waiting for the moment when it might (thankfully, he walked the line without falling…… no pun intended,  :wink:). So why did the casting choice work out so well?, because his character was regimented and cold, so it was acceptable that his singing came across the same way.

@Young:

@Guerrilla:

GG

Russell Crowe’s singing didn’t ruin the movie, but I was definitely waiting for the moment when it might (thankfully, he walked the line without falling…… no pun intended,  :wink:). So why did the casting choice work out so well?, because his character was regimented and cold, so it was acceptable that his singing came across the same way.

Fair enough, like I said, his role acting was the reason he was cast. I didn’t say it ruined it, definitely wasn’t his strong suit…

GG

• Sponsor

@Guerrilla:

@Young:

@Guerrilla:

GG

Russell Crowe’s singing didn’t ruin the movie, but I was definitely waiting for the moment when it might (thankfully, he walked the line without falling…… no pun intended, �:wink:). So why did the casting choice work out so well?, because his character was regimented and cold, so it was acceptable that his singing came across the same way.

Fair enough, like I said, his role acting was the reason he was cast. I didn’t say it ruined it, definitely wasn’t his strong suit…

GG

Ya,… he seemed to be working it more than performing it, but he was OK. Hugh and Russell…, two of Aussi’s best in this one.

• Borat (forgive me) did a very good job too! I was surprised that he was cast in that role and, IMO, he pulled it off very well. His one-liners, throughout the movie, had the audience chuckling. A few nice light moments for a somewhat grim, “les miserables” film.

• Sponsor

@JWW:

Borat (forgive me) did a very good job too! I was surprised that he was cast in that role and, IMO, he pulled it off very well. His one-liners, throughout the movie, had the audience chuckling. A few nice light moments for a somewhat grim, “les miserables” film.

100%…. and Helena Bonham Carter as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m