• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

One of the more effective Axis “block” strategies is to take and build up Gib to prevent the US from using it as a spring board against Western Europe or Italy.  (The main downside is that usually means Cairo remains with the UK.)

If Germany has a strong fleet attack force and air force, the Axis can usually deter even a strong US attack.  The US would have to take Gib and then fend off a counter strike of subs and aircraft from Germany and maybe Italy.

The only solution would be for the UK to build a harbor on Iceland and have the United States use it as the spring board.

I’ve done this once, but the game ended before it made any real difference.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with the Iceland harbor and if it is a good substitute for Gib…

• Allies shuttling through Gib is good to keep the axis guessing where your going (France, Italy, N Africa, Norway, or Denmark). They have to defend (or set up counters), for many different territories or block out several sz’s to stall you.

The problem with Gib is that if you want to go north to Norway, the axis can normally block the US from landing there (dd sz110, or 104), and will delay the Norwegian amphib. Iceland is a good alternate route to the Scandinavian north (have done it), but once you go there full force the cat is out of the bag. A UK naval base at Iceland right after the US fleet arrives could catch the the axis off guard, plus the Luftwaffe can’t reach the Iceland sz 123 from their base in W Germany.

You can reach Norway w/o a NB, but the NB gives you farther reach, possibly forcing the Germans to sacrifice ships to block you in a couple sz’s in an attempt to stall you. The Germans could also have  Norway fortified, and few transports in the Baltic to counter attack your landing. You always have the option of going to England though to add to the combo fleet, or set up to kill off the Baltic fleet.

Most go to Gib, but I like to test out different strats too. I have gone north Atlantic in the past, and It can be very effective forcing the Germans to use resources up there. It is also a good launching pad to aid Russia.

• Customizer

I’ve tried using Iceland. Even with a naval base, it just seems too limited to me. Gibraltar provides many more places to hit thus causing the Axis to spend much more in defending.

• Sponsor

I would imagine that taking Iceland with the Germans and building a naval base there would be a better use for the Island. However, I’ve never thought about going that route with the Americans, the reason being that, even if the Axis take Gibraltar and hold it… the Americans gotta take them out, instead of trying a fancy flea flicker play in the north Atlantic.

• Customizer

Yeah, a naval base on Iceland would enable the Germans to reach the US east coast in one move, although I’m sure the US player would notice that and put up blockers so it ends up being a waste of money.
    Iceland pretty much gets ignored in most of our games, except perhaps for shuttling fighters from USA to England.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

Yeah, a naval base on Iceland would enable the Germans to reach the US east coast in one move, although I’m sure the US player would notice that and put up blockers so it ends up being a waste of money.
    Iceland pretty much gets ignored in most of our games, except perhaps for shuttling fighters from USA to England.

or even a British fighter that was used to take out a surviving u-boat off Canada. The thing about a German naval base in Iceland is…. it plays into the whole strategy about making them guess where you’re going, lots of threats there, and not just on American soil.

• is it possible to hit submarines with an unaided fighter?

• '17 '16 '15

no you need a destroyer

• Sponsor

@pete6982:

is it possible to hit submarines with an unaided fighter?

Well…. unless you want to hit them with the air base in Iceland  :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m