The Great War 1914-1918: Clash of Empires

• Do you mean mounted by the map being like a cardboard (A&A) type board?

• exactly, only larger

• Oh ok man thanks. I know I’m asking alot, it does like a good game that’s why, but how big is the board in inches (And cm if you want)? And do you think the 110-120 dollar price tag fits? Like isn’t that 10-20 bucks a little much?

• Also if it’s really big then kiss there a choice to get a slightly scaled down one?

• @Ttfno:

Oh ok man thanks. I know I’m asking alot, it does like a good game that’s why, but how big is the board in inches (And cm if you want)? And do you think the 110-120 dollar price tag fits? Like isn’t that 10-20 bucks a little much?

I don’t remember what I paid for A&A 1914, but I’m assuming it must have been 80-90 euros. Considering that this game is going to include unique sculpts, additional unit types and is in all likelihood better playtested than any A&A game for that matter, I’ll gladly pay $110-120 for it.

• Well your getting alot more than 1914. More pieces, more unique sculpts ( like 36 different ones) , much larger map, just alot more stuff. Plus the game is more involved with all the tech changes and rules, but still somewhat simple.

• That’s great! I just have a few more questions: When do you guys think it will be published? Is it slightly simple (No weird battle board like 1914, and weird rules)?
    Is there an option for how big the board is (More scaled down?)? What are the countries and each type of units? Can you post a video on you guys play testing it (I really want to see it in action before I buy)?
    And I’m guessing that you can get it from HGB, Right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to see if I want to spend my saved up money on this game, and I want to be a positive customer.
    Thank you very much, and Good Luck!

• Dont have official release date.

8 nations, like 1914 plus minor allies. Types of units will be posted soon under this thread, but like triple the types of 1914

Can’t be scaled down, sorry. If you play global 40 you will be fine.

Im sure HBG will carry this.

• Great, thanks. Too bad I don’t play 1940, but I guess it’s ok.

• @Imperious:

Dont have official release date.

8 nations, like 1914 plus minor allies. Types of units will be posted soon under this thread, but like triple the types of 1914

Can’t be scaled down, sorry. If you play global 40 you will be fine.

Im sure HBG will carry this.

Will there be any terrain features?

• Well sort of. You cant stop in certain areas ( these are colored peach representing arid desert) until turn 6.

You can pass thru, but not rail of stop movement. Also no rail in Africa.

Otherwise, there is no “general winter” or “Russian Rasputitsa” rules

• Ok next section…

Land combat sequence:
    This, like naval combat, must be performed step-by-step and loses taken for each step.

Part A (Air Superiority)
    1. Air combat takes place between attacking air units and zeppelins and defending air units and zeppelins. Both sides must perform a single air combat round, rolling to hit simultaneously against the other. 
    2.  Either side may retreat all their air units after each round, first the attacker decides and if they do not retreat then the defender may retreat their air units.  If no winner then proceed with step 1 again until one side is eliminated or retreats.  The winner gains air superiority (see air superiority).

Aerial superiority:
    The player who has air superiority can boost his artillery, rail guns, and forts with a modifier of +1 for the first round of combat. 
    Note: there is no air superiority in naval combat.

Part B (Land Battle)
    1a. The attacker conducts gas attacks (defender can if they have “gas shells” technology) and loses are taken now. (simultaneous exchange)
    2.  The attacker fires their aircraft, artillery, (this can include rail guns that are in an adjacent space) preemptively and loses taken now. 
    3.  The defender fires their aircraft, artillery, forts and rail guns (this can include rail guns in an adjacent space) preemptively and loses taken now.
    4.  Attacking Storm Troops and defending entrenched infantry fire preemptively and loses taken now. (simultaneous exchange)
    5a. The attacker and defender then fire with all their remaining units; loses are applied now. (simultaneous exchange)
    6. The attacker has the option to retreat.  He may retreat all units back to one of his territories that one of the units attacked from or he may remain in the space and contest it with all ground units. An exception is if you are coming out of a contested territory all land units may only fight to the finish (defender may still retreat) or contest. If the attacker does not retreat or contest the territory then the defender may retreat to a friendly or allied territory that is not under attack by land units or contested. Unless the attacker decides to contest (this stops the defender from retreating).  If the attacker does not decide to contest and no one decides to retreat, then proceed with steps 2-6 again, or until one side is eliminated.

Naval Invasions:
    If the attacker has any part of his force invading by sea then the sequence of combat is as follows:

Follow the above Land Combat sequence rules above (A & B) with adding the below to part B

1b.  Support fire is now done by Dreadnoughts and Cruisers.
    6b. The first wave of invading naval forces may now fire with all surviving units; defender loses are now taken.
    7.  Is the same except that they must do a 2nd round of attacks and only then may they contest at the end. You are not allowed to retreat as the attacker for a naval invasion.

For the rest of the combat, proceed with steps 2-7 under the normal land combat sequence with 2nd landed forces firing in 6b only.

Only infantry type troops (infantry, cavalry and storm troopers) may participate in amphibious landings. Other types can only land after the capture of the territory (in the non combat phase).

Support fire:
    Support fire allows Dreadnoughts to support a naval landing with fire and is limited to only the first round of combat.  They hit only on a 1.

The number of ships that may fire is limited to the number of transport being used for the naval invasion.

Here is one of the main different things about this game, namely certain units fire in sequence– units are destroyed and then another type of unit fires and then other loses taken. That way you can see the benefit of say entrenched units, Artillery, having Air superiority, etc.

Air fights air, remaining units hit land targets at 1 ( bombers and zeps @2) and how having air units remaining allows your artillery ( both regular and railway artillery to all get a +1 in the first round attack)

Storm troopers fire before other units as they have specialized infiltration training and equipment ( only central powers have them)

• What piece colors corresponds to which country? Also is America included in the game? I didnt see them in the photos.
    Also what would be a selling tip so that I dont buy Axis and Allies 1914 but I buy this game? Like what would be a marketing thing you would say? Why should I buy this game.

• @Imperious:

Well your getting alot more than 1914. More pieces, more unique sculpts ( like 36 different ones) , much larger map, just alot more stuff. Plus the game is more involved with all the tech changes and rules, but still somewhat simple.

:-D :-D :-D

• Still if those are the only reasons then the price would be 100 bucks not 120.

• What’s 20 bucks. I’d pay it . Just from what I’ve seen with pieces it worth extra 20 bucks .

• Well 1914 is half the price so why not buy that one and a few extra pieces?

• When i say extra pieces, im talking about different unit types by a factor of over two, Rail guns, Airships, Zeppelins, Storm troopers, Bombers, Destroyers, Entrenched Infantry, Plus three different sculpts for about 6 other units, etc. We don’t do the same sculpt for Tanks, Artillery, Dreadnoughts, Subs, Cruisers, etc.

Plus the map is like 3 times the size of 1914, a mounted map costs money to produce and ship. So i guess the cost should be the same right?

• Ok, guess it’s worth it, just gotta wait now

• But your also giving up the African continent, and in A&A 1914 the best bet for the Ottoman Empire is Africa. ( If the CP play it right). Like your adding lots of amazing things but taking away things. (No Africa and less simple).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m