The Great War 1914-1918: Clash of Empires

• '10

Is the entrenchment sculpt included in the game or just the gunner?

• Not sure, I provided my input and requested machine guns with two soldiers ( the gunner and the ammo holder with no earth or sandbags)

Here are the entrenchment rules:

Basically Infantry that does not move or engage in combat and is not in a contested area, may elect to entrench and that will increase their defense to three. So you do this in areas where you want to hold. If they defend in battle or continue to remain in place, they will always have this +1 benefit.

Infantry:  Attack at 1, Defend at 2, Move 1, Cost 1.5
        Infantry move 1 and are better on defense than offense.  They may entrench if they did not move during their turn.  While entrenched they will have a strike first advantage.  Entrenched troops are represented with a machine gun.  As long as the unit does not move it remains entrenched.  It loses this ability if it moves.

Land combat sequence:
    This, like naval combat, must be performed step-by-step.

Part A – Note: Planes are only hitting other planes

1. Air combat takes place and the survivor gains air superiority. These extra planes may boost land units in the first round by aerial spotting.  Either side may retreat all their planes after any round, first the attacker and then the defender.
    2. Once the sky is cleared of enemy planes, plane hits can go against land units (and vice versa).

Part B – Note: After each step the loses are removed

1. The attacker conducts gas attacks (defender can adjust the damage if they have “gas mask” technology). The defender can reply if they have “gas shells” technology.
    2. If the attacker has artillery (including rail guns that are in an adjacent space) or aircraft he can fire them preemptively. These units may be boosted by planes using aerial spotting.
    3. If the defender has any artillery (including rail guns that are in an adjacent space) or aircraft he may fire them preemptively. These units may be boosted by planes using aerial spotting.
    4. Attacking Storm Troops attack preemptively.
    5. Defending entrenched troops fire preemptively.
    6. The attacker and defender then fire with all their remaining units including air units.
    7. The attacker has the option to retreat.  He may retreat all units back to his territory or he may remain in the space and contest it with all.  If the attacker does not retreat then the defender may retreat to friendly or allied territory.  If not then proceed with step 3.
  • Customizer

, @Imperious:

Not sure, I provided my input and requested machine guns with two soldiers ( the gunner and the ammo holder with no earth or sandbags)

Here are the entrenchment rules:

Basically Infantry that does not move or engage in combat and is not in a contested area, may elect to entrench and that will increase their defense to three. So you do this in areas where you want to hold. If they defend in battle or continue to remain in place, they will always have this +1 benefit.

Infantry:  Attack at 1, Defend at 2, Move 1, Cost 1.5
         Infantry move 1 and are better on defense than offense.  They may entrench if they did not move during their turn.  While entrenched they will have a strike first advantage.  Entrenched troops are represented with a machine gun.  As long as the unit does not move it remains entrenched.  It loses this ability if it moves.

Land combat sequence:
    This, like naval combat, must be performed step-by-step.

Part A � Note: Planes are only hitting other planes

1. Air combat takes place and the survivor gains air superiority. These extra planes may boost land units in the first round by aerial spotting.  Either side may retreat all their planes after any round, first the attacker and then the defender.
    2. Once the sky is cleared of enemy planes, plane hits can go against land units (and vice versa).

Part B � Note: After each step the loses are removed

1. The attacker conducts gas attacks (defender can adjust the damage if they have �gas mask� technology). The defender can reply if they have �gas shells� technology.
    2. If the attacker has artillery (including rail guns that are in an adjacent space) or aircraft he can fire them preemptively. These units may be boosted by planes using aerial spotting.
    3. If the defender has any artillery (including rail guns that are in an adjacent space) or aircraft he may fire them preemptively. These units may be boosted by planes using aerial spotting.
    4. Attacking Storm Troops attack preemptively.
    5. Defending entrenched troops fire preemptively.
    6. The attacker and defender then fire with all their remaining units including air units.
    7. The attacker has the option to retreat.  He may retreat all units back to his territory or he may remain in the space and contest it with all.  If the attacker does not retreat then the defender may retreat to friendly or allied territory.  If not then proceed with step 3.

IL,

––Thanks again for the pics of the entrenched troops. They look great,…like the rest of this game’s units.
    ----I’m most impressed by the rules you have listed. They are very logical, useful,and will make your game very playable.

––I’m generally not in favor of rules changes or ‘house rules’ in normal A&A games unless they serve a useful, logical purpose. IMHO so many of the new ‘house rules’ only serve the purpose of being “new”, and aren’t logical, much less useable. IMHO, the rules in your new game will be VERY USEFUL. Keep up the good work!

“Tall Paul”

• Thanks Buddy!

• IL, I really like the map and basic ideas you have for your custom game, and I do appreciate you specialized units and rules.

However, I’m more of a fan of the “standard” Axis and Allies setup; say nothing more complicated than G40.

So, I was wondering if you would make an alternate setup or whatnot that just included the most basic of units? No special units or special rules (other than NOs) to each country? It would be appreciated too, though I understand if that’s not feasible. Maybe that could be done after the game is released.

~Venoc, still considering getting the game either way.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@TheVenocWarlord:

IL, I really like the map and basic ideas you have for your custom game, and I do appreciate you specialized units and rules.

However, I’m more of a fan of the “standard” Axis and Allies setup; say nothing more complicated than G40.

So, I was wondering if you would make an alternate setup or whatnot that just included the most basic of units? No special units or special rules (other than NOs) to each country? It would be appreciated too, though I understand if that’s not feasible. Maybe that could be done after the game is released.

~Venoc, still considering getting the game either way.

I actually did this a few years ago for IL’s old Great War rules and game. Not sure if I still have it. I’d only be willing to give it out if he says it’s okay. I’m sure some updates would be needed based on changes that occurred between then and the current production version.

• So, I was wondering if you would make an alternate setup or whatnot that just included the most basic of units? No special units or special rules (other than NOs) to each country? It would be appreciated too, though I understand if that’s not feasible. Maybe that could be done after the game is released.

Well the game does have two versions: Standard and Advanced.

Less units in Standard like no airships, or seaplane carrier, plus historical event sequence is only part of the advanced game.

The game is in the same complexity level as global, just in a different way.

We have both grognads and AA peeps to make happy so that’s why it has two versions.

• @Imperious:

Well the game does have two versions: Standard and Advanced.

Less units in Standard like no airships, or seaplane carrier, plus historical event sequence is only part of the advanced game.

The game is in the same complexity level as global, just in a different way.

We have both grognads and AA peeps to make happy so that’s why it has two versions.

Oh, okay, I didn’t even notice that. Thanks for including that! Looking forward to the game! ^_^

Looking forward to the American Civil War version too! :D

Also, who are the grognads?

Variable, is there plans for an alternate set-up for G39 that does not use specialized units?

• I must have this game! How are we looking IL?

• This year late. Not sure the date exactly.

• @TheVenocWarlord:

Also, who are the grognads?

It’s a typo.  The correct word is grognard, a reference to the elite members of Napoleon’s Imperial Guard.

• Typo, but the reference is for hardcore wargamers

• Looks better with every update IL. Loving it can’t wait to buy.

• OK thank you.

• Customizer

What consistency of plastic is being used?  I’m a little worried about the German infantryman’s schwanzstucker breaking off in the heat of battle.

The entrenched German looks more like an Australian.

Is the fact that the French infantryman is firing his rifle copied from the A&A version or is this just an amazing coincidence?

• You will not have issues in that regard. I hate crappy Xeno type cheap plastic like the next guy

• Any new news, dates, pics…?  Still very excited

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, I asked this same question a while back. :D

• Me too, I am ready to pre-order as soon as I can IL.

• Sorry no new news. I will call the producer and report.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m