December 20th 1860: South Carolina secedes.

• If any of you find yourselves on the Louisana Texas border, visit the Mansfield Battlefield. It’s a great battlefield visit.

• 1st February 1861 Texas voted to become the 7th state to leave the Union.
    It was the largest state to do so and being the furthest West was the one least occupied by Federal forces. It provided much needed supplies throughout the war, but after the fall of Vicksburg in July of 1863 only to the Transmississippi region. Many goods entered the state through blockaded ports and cotton was exported via Mexico to Europe.
    The most famous Texan Generals were not natives of the state. AS Johnston was the ranking Field commander in 1862, but the most famous was another Kentuckian, John Bell Hood. He graduated from West Point and was a  Lieutenant in the Cavalry, when he resigned to lead the 4th Texas Inf Regiment. Hood soon got command of the Brigade of 3 Texas Regiments (1,2 and4).This was the hardest hitting unit with the  best morale of any of the Brigades in Lee’s ANV and its performance got Hood promoted to Division command before year’s end.
    Far more Texan units fought in the West, many as Cavalry units. Of the 70000 Texans who fought for the Confederacy, 2/3 were Cavalry(45Regiments to 23 Inf).
    No significant battles were fought in Texas, although the port of Galveston and others were besieged. After the surrender of the Confederate armies, Texas was a way to avoid remaining under the Union yoke as it was the best route to a new life in Mexico.

• Worsham and others: excuse any errors in my last.
    Have been busy, so rushed it( a day late!)before bed.
    But I could not forget or omit Texas.

• @wittmann:

Worsham and others: excuse any errors in my last.
    Have been busy, so rushed it( a day late!)before bed.
    But I could not forget or omit Texas.

Galveston was taken by the Union and then retaken by the Confederacy.

Texas was also the staging point for the New Mexico Campaign.

• I just learned of another Civil War battle in Texas, the Battle of Laredo. 40 Confederates and held off 200 Unionist in defending 5,000 bales of cotton waiting to get sent into Mexico.

• Thank you Worsham. 
    Just googled the city. Nice history!
    Anniversary of Fort Henry today(the 6th).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m