• What’s your thoughts one this operation. The British used a similar tactic in WWI blocking the U-Boat and destroyer base at Zeebrugge with the use of an old cruiser and a few lighter ships.

The Germans invaded Crete and the Barham was damage by a Stuka’s bomb before Churchill plan could be put into effect. The battleship was repaired and later sunk by U-331.

• Hi Worsham. I can only say it seems like a waste of a good ship, though it seems an unlucky one! I enjoyed reading about its history, but could not find any info on Churchill’s plan.
    I put those (nasty) Italians would have found a way around it, if this had been implemented, but understand Tripoli was very important to their supply requirements in Africa.

• @wittmann:

Hi Worsham. I can only say it seems like a waste of a good ship, though it seems an unlucky one! I enjoyed reading about its history, but could not find any info on Churchill’s plan.
    I put those (nasty) Italians would have found a way around it, if this had been implemented, but understand Tripoli was very important to their supply requirements in Africa.

www.ronhoggarth.co.uk/barham.html

• Thank you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m