December 13th 1862: Fredericksburg.

• Today, the 13th December, in 1862 the battle of Fredericksburg was fought in N Virginia. It was not the best campaigning weather, but Lincoln wanted to see his biggest army move on Lee’s Army of N Virginia. The commander of the Northern army Ambrose E Burnside was new to the post, having recently replaced the much loved General George B McClellan, who had been unable to take advantage of a weaker ANV at Sharpsburg in September, therefore angering the President, and possibly finish the war. Burnside would not last long in the position either and was totally unsuited to this top post.
    He planned to move against Lee and his 9 Divisions by the direct overland route(favoured by Lincoln) and fighting him where he waited in good defensive positions. His army was large and this battle with close to 200000 present would involve  more men than Gettysburg 7 months later. Burnside’s army was 18 Divisions strong, with 312 guns for a total of 121000 effectives. His estimate of Lee’s strength at 80000 was almost bang on( 78000 with 275 guns).
    Numbers, of course, are not everything. Lee’s position was strong and as the day wore on and attack after attack would fail, Burnside had no choice but to call off the attack.
    The two Confederate Corps commanders, Longstreet and Jackson would suffer about 4000 casualties, whereas the Northern host suffered over 12000.
    It would be 6 months before the Northern army, under a new commander, tried to destroy Lee’s Southern one again.

• Was rather a one sided affair. Perhaps Cold Harbour is the only one other obvious Confederate lopsided defensive  victory(2nd June). George Doles being the only significant loss that day.

• Although it failed, it seems there was much merit to the plan.
    Misunderstandings prevailed and fortunately for Lee, Mahone was on hand and sealed off any prospective breakthrough.
    I have no deep interest in this battle, Cromwell. I stopped reading about the Eastern campaigns when Grant got to Petersburg. I have never read about the siege and the final ten months. Sorry.

• Thank you Cromwell. I am not sure it is my kind of book. I like books from the top down!
    Can get in England; I have looked.
    Do have 6 new books to read, so I will leave it for the moment.

• Cromwell:it would seem not everyone has taken the concept of good and bad posts the way most of us understand it.
    I must have offended someone and they minus what I say regardless of content. (Have been four now.) Some have these minuses every time they post. I even fear someone has invented another persona, so as to get to vote twice.
    Sad.
    Most of us use the system as it was designed.
    Ultimately, we all know who we respect and who is unworthy.

• I just brought balance to the Force by giving positive support to your post my friends.

When Frederickburg comes to mind I think you the stone wall defensive position the Union attacked.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

@ABWorsham:

I just brought balance to the Force by giving positive support to your post my friends.

When Frederickburg comes to mind I think you the stone wall defensive position the Union attacked.

Thanks friend! Wittmann doesn’t bother any body. Balance to the Force. :) I have a serious question to ask: Has the Star Wars’ community been too harsh on Jar Jar Barf?

Jar Jar was a waste of a character.

• Jar Jar annoyed me Cromwell.
    Thank you both too.
    As you know, I look forward to and enjoy your posts, thoughts and comments.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m