California has little room to whine…

• Just read an article by Peter A. Brown of the Orlando Sentinel( pbrown@orlandosentinel.com ). His basic point is that the CA debate is overshadowing the US presidential race. To that, I say, “Poppycock!, most USians pay little to NO attention to the presidential race until August or October of the election year(a year off.)” Besides, the only folks interested in politics this early are real politicos or radicals (conservative and/or liberal.)

Another point he makes is that Caulifornia(AhnoldSpeak) has the equivalent of the 5th largest economy in the world, if taken separately from the US economy. Let me point out that Caulifornia(AS) has had the 6th largest economy, when taken the same way, since the 1980’s. This means that Caulifornia has moved up the economic scale even with the recent world recession and the Caulifornia budget woes. Maybe Caulifornians should hope for a depression. Then Caulifornia would likely move up to 4th or maybe even 3rd!!

• The problem with the California Economy is it was hit so incredibly hard with the Dotcom bubble burst a few years ago. Its hard to recover easily from something like that, especially when so much of the California economy was intertwined with the computer industry. Not to mention the general worldwide economy sucks…

So Economy wise, its US - Britain - China - Japan - Germany - California?

• The latest I have found is(1995)…
    1)United States
    2)Japan
    3)Germany
    4)France
    **5)(Caulifornia’s current economy makes it a virtual tie with France.)
    5)Italy
    6)United Kingdom
    7)China(PRC)

SOURCE :
    http://www.geocities.com/combusem/WORLDGDP.HTM

I would not doubt that China has moved up the chart since then.

• perhaps i read it wrong, but i didnt see where it mentioned california

• I’m almost 100% sure that Britain has a larger economy than France, though not by much.

• @El:

The latest I have found is(1995)…
    1)United States
    2)Japan
    3)Germany
    4)France
    **5)(Caulifornia’s current economy makes it a virtual tie with France.)
    5)Italy
    6)United Kingdom
    7)China(PRC)

Then is CA’s economy also added into that of the greater US?

I would not doubt that China has moved up the chart since then.

They might have been higher than that in the first place. Aren’t we relying on the PRC’s official word for that?

• From the CIA factbook…

Great Britain GDP - $1.52 trillion (2002 est.)
    Germany GDP - 2.18
    Italy - 1.4 Trillion
    France - 1.54 Trillion
    Japan - 3.55 Trillion
    China -5.7 Trillion
    US - 10.4 Trillion
    Russia - 1.3 Trillion
    India - 2.66 Trillion
    Brazil - 1.3 Trillion
    Canada - 923 Billion

So US - China - Japan - India - Germany - France - UK - Italy - Russia/Brazil - Canada according to the CIA.

Source:

www.cia.gov/worldfactbook

• Jan, It’s inserted in the list by me from the above website.

GI, Caulifornia’s is as if it were existing alone. I don’t think chaving it in or out of the US #s matters yet.

GI, who knows what we are relying on?!

Yanny, thanks for the update! I tried GNP and got gobbledygok. I tried GDP and got old #s…and all this on google.com !

Gee, another 20 years and China and India will leave us in the dust. I wonder what a free economy will do to China’s ‘communist’ system in 20 years?!?

*** Teej, note the small c and quotes around communist, separating it from China’s and system just for you! Well, not really. Reading some of your stuff has helped me decide to clarify, for others, the differences between communism as we know it and Utopian Communism.

• Om, i don’t think a “free economy” would help the chinese a lot, unless the US$ rises too much. With their currency coupled to the US$, they make quite some profit, as it is severely under-rated.
    And…. i would call their economic system pretty free aldready. Their “communism” mainly is an one-party-rule.

For “communism as we know it” and “Utopian Communism”, you clearly meant to say “the thing that we wrongly called communism” and “Real Communism” :)

• Yanny’s facts seem a lot closer to “fact” to me :)

As for California’s GDP, it’s somewhere around 1.5 trillion (2002), please don’t ask me for the number right now. So they’re around France’s size if you think about it. Also, from numbers I’ve seen UK is above France, but the numbers are so close they do not really matter. :)

As for China, they still have a way to develop. Maybe not in their economic system, but in ways of modernization. :)

• F_alk, don’t do that! You remind me of a Communications professor I had in the early 1980’s who tried to get us to verify that we understood what the other person was saying by repeating back what they’d just said with a few words changed.

That’s what I said!

Teej, closer than what?!? Considering that my #s were from 1995, you’ll get no argument from me.

• Teej, closer than what?!? Considering that my #s were from 1995, you’ll get no argument from me.

Sorry, didn’t see the 1995 there, EH. ;)

• @El:

F_alk, don’t do that! You remind me of a Communications professor …

That’s what I said!

big grin

well, i just took the freedom to restate what you said with my and not your personal bias :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m