In our game Germany ALWAYS wins- help us

• Germany concentrates solely on attacking Russia. The German player does not leave the mainland of Europe at all-Africa is ignored except when approached by the original British forces already occupying. They send no reinforcements.

U-Boats delay transports from getting to Europe from US. Great Britain is forced to make the first strike on the mainland alone without adequate forces. They face a limited force in the French setions, but it is still formidable.

On the next turn Germany then buys 30 infantry to reinforce Germany.

Russia buys infantry but since territory and money has already been lost to the German assault, their numbers are severely limited.

Within 5 turns Moscow has fallen -game over.

We have played 15 times and the outcome does not change.

We are not about to change our strategy as the German player since we win every time, but we are looking for modification suggestions to keep the game fresh. The Allies are tired of losing.

• 30 infantries, taken from?

defend ukraine and belorussia with russia, then wait for allied relief.

• I think you have your money mixed up a bit =)

1 Infantry = 3 IPCs

Germany has 40 IPCs so max infantry they can buy at the start is 13, give or take what they capture from Russia.

• I had a feeling that my typo would be the thing that people would focus on and not my question. (So the infantry is more like 13 purchased on the last turn and approximately 8-10 brought in from France.)

Never the less, the Allies can not get in the game with any sort of strength to attack Germany and was wondering if someone could help us with alternate rules.

Bellorussia holds on as long as possible but eventually falls, Moscow falls on the next turn.

We were considering allowing the US and GB to move on the same turn, but are still apprehensive.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

• The fact that the Axis have used the same strategy for the last 15 games and the Allies haven’t picked up on it shows something. I mean, the Axis stratey isn’t really complex or novel, it isn’t a really hard one to disect and find a flaw.

• destroy the german navy asap, then focus on amphibious landings near the baltic states, western europe or germany itself. Make sure US has 3 transports near east coast, 3 transports in the celtic sea and 3 transports to attack the mainland of europe with, in that way you allways have a constant stream of troops attacking germany.

• In a situation like this I find it helpful to set the game up and simply stare at it for several hours. I can then see what Germany is planning and how they go about doing it and I can see this in a much slower and easier to comprehend form than in an acctual game. This allows me to see exactly when and were my oppenent is vulnerable and I can then look for these vulnerable points in a game. This is how tactics are developed (not to be confused with stratagies).

aint no need to hide, aint no need to run, 'cuase I got you in the sights of my gun.
    -Led Zeppelin, How Many More Times

[ This Message was edited by: bossk on 2002-02-10 19:27 ]

• Its not the ruleset, its your tactics. First off, don’t listen to the majority of the strategies on this site. They are outdated and (no offense) aren’t written by the best players.

Now, what do you usually buy with your 12$, both with the Axis and the Allies? What are your first turn moves? Do you have an overall plan? A backup plan? How do you go about eliminating German subs quickly and painlessly?

• a new player doesnt understand or is not able to perform expert strategies mate. I mean i play Age of Empires2 and i cant do expert moves simply because my basics are not good enough. People learn to play by constantly adopting better strategies from other players. If a new player only knows one or two expert strategies then there is a high chance he will lose most of his games because he cant handle a situation in which the opponent does a non-standard move.

• Yanny, How do you know who the best players are?

• The reason that Germany wins in your game, is because Stalin all of a sudden became a wimp! Russia is not weak! Russia has the same power as Germany if you cost it out. Russia is supposed to ATTACK Ukraine with everything but a fighter. It ATTACKS Manchuria with everything else. . Its sub & fighter ATTACK the German sub & freighter. It’s Manchuria fighter lands on Russian soil to help in the COUNTER ATTACK of Karlia next turn. It buys a fighter and infantry and moves everything into Karleia.It’s freighter goes to Britain. Germany is now in a mess and Russia gets $30! Britain will buy a carrier and a freighter if it lost its fleet, or a complex in India and infantry for the first invasion of W.Europe. The US will land fighters on the BRITISH carrier and send its freighter to Norway if the German fighter left for good, and might attack with its bomber. Instant Fleet! Can’t be stopped, because Russia can not be ignored and Africa can’t be ignored etc etc. Allies build complexes in Asia, but the 3/4 effort is to Germany. Germany must be attacked in ever increasing numbers in w. europe over the whole game, while Russia uses the distraction to build up a tank/infantry/fighter/bomber army that can keep exchanging infantry with germany and gradually holding Germany’s three countries for $8. And keep Japan in a game of attrition. Then all the Allies move in for tense rounds against a desperate and weakened Germany trying to attack the weakest left or right side, but eventually loosing this sad game of attrition. Germany is eventually whittled down to a few infantry and is partially destroyed by the English, then the US,and before the Germans have their turn, the Russians finish the last German unit and the game is over. Oh yes, The Allied fleet parks in Spain and slowly builds up an African army if neccessary to kick the germans out, and deny them the money for infantry for Berlin. But the Allies end up with at least 8 freighters off Spain and an unbroken train of infantry and tanks coming from both US and Britain.
    This is how I have done it and had it done to me for years and years. Enjoy!

• Well, by the sound of his post, it sounds like he used to strategy “Belorussia stack”. Now, although the strategies on our site (not out forums) widely support it, it is usually going to lose the game for russia.

Now, heres my suggestion. Keep your russian defenses equal. hold off the Germans for as long as you can. Stand your ground where you can, and retreat when needed. Theres no set strategy for defending Russia in AAE. Its a chess match, with Russia playing second. Its all about Action and Reaction.

Just sitting in Belorussia gives Germany a huge advantage. He has the initiative. This is something you do not want to give him.

• The ‘stack defense’ is for uncreative strategists who do not know how to create a strong delaying defense.

• A follow up, Russia has tremendous firepower in terms of tanks, airforce, and whatever it gets from the Allies. It should not be put to waste in some sort of stack defense, that does nothing.

• To Anonymous:

Use the “Russian Patriotic War” rule more. Fly some fighters over to russia. If Germany basically abandons everything for a full-out offensive against russia, well yes, they will win without the allies help. Dont waste your time “pawn-grabbing” the germany subs if they aren’t what is really beating you. It sounds like whats beating the allies is that Russia cant hold out, therefore you have to augment their defenses. Toss Russia a fighter once per turn from turn one and I guarantee they will last past the 5th turn. 15 ground troops become about 3 times more powerful defending when you add a few fighters to the mix.

U.S. - if you still have the capability, dump off a couple infantry in Morocco on the first turn, If the german player dosn’t pay much attention to africa as you say, he probably wont miss that 4 IPC’s its worth.

Funny that the allies are having such a hard time over there, I’ve played this version of the game about 8 times and germany has one only twice; the first six times germany lost horribly.

Remember that by taking sea zones the germans dont move up on the IPC income, the allies are moved down only. (we had that messed up too at first)

Rik

• that is really wierd, the first time we played the game we moved the germany ipc counter up when capturing a convoy too… doh!

anyway, regarding germany… if germany keeps winning against the allies, the allies are clearly doing something wrong. The key to allied victory is this: help russia! fighters can be flown to leningrad (if still help) bombers to moscow. when germany exhasts themselves in russia, the uk and us should invade… timing is the key. make sure the atlantic is won before massing an invasion fleet off spain. grab norway as close to the start as possible. this allows allied planes to strategically bomb germany with fighter support. -v.important. usa to build bombers and destroyers from the start. send the bombers to malta: bomb italy. use the destroyers to help the uk mop up the atlantic. once this is done, harry the germans in western europe. Russia should build artillary as well as troops… they are cheap and allow effective counter attacks.

guard caucasus… it is worth 4…

anyway, these are a host of ideas that people can use…

• Angel, this is A&A Europe, not the classic one…

• Russia has to retreat a lot (and its not fun) in order to eventually get a bigger army in the rear of the front. Germany will spread out thin from and you can get them with your big army. If germany has a 20 unit army, dont try to stick 4 or 5 infantry to slow them down. It will all die in the first round of attack and therfor only shoot once. Its best to leave territories with only 1 infantry to block blitzs. If you can, use other allied troops to block instead of russian troops. It is always better to retreat and fight with greater force later, than to be slaightered.

The people I play with are very good, and when one side makes one stupid mistake, it usualy ends the game. Always tripple check and make sure your important troops aren’t gonna be slaughtered.

• Remember the Dead Zones. Its pointless to sit and sacrifice your troops in a battle you can’t win. Keep retreating.

• FIRST THE ONLY REASON TO LEAVE MEN BEHIND IS IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF TANK ATTACK. THE RED ARMY IS NOT AFRAID OF TANK ATTACK WITH NO INFANTRY SUPPORT. THERE’S THAT CONCEPT AGAIN OF COMBINED ARMS WITH IT ALL YOUR SHALLOW STRATEGIES FALL BLEEDING TO THE SIDE. FALL BACK AND COUNTER ATTACK, BLOODY THE ENEMIES NOSE, BOMB HIS AIRFIELDS, HAMMER UNPROTECTED TANKS. FEAR OF ATTACK WILL SLOW THE GERMAN ADVANCE BETTER THAN WASTING YOUR MEN.POUR ALLIED AIR INTO THE SOVIET UNION AS THE RED ARMY GROWS TO 60+ INFANTRY WITH 6 TANKS 6 ARTILLERY 4 FTRS & 3 BMBRS, NOT A FORCE TO BE TRIFLED WITH AND ASIDE FROM THE LIMITED ARTILLERY HIGHLY MOBILE.SO BRING YOUR BIG BAD GERMAN ASS UP TO OUR RUSSIAN WINTER WE’LL EAT YOU FOR BREAKFAST! 6 TURNS MY BEHIND.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m