• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Eqqman:

If the Japanese are forfeiting control of SZ6, how are you getting the income to keep plopping down these additional infantry?  Presumably you’ve lost all your non-Chinese income to Convoy attacks.

You need to position your Japanese fleet / airforce to allow for a counter strike at zone 6 that would destroy what is there. It is much harder to defend zone 6 directly. Since you don’t leave your fleet there, the US will be tempted to do an amphibious assault, which can be easily dealt with ground buys.

• @Omega1759:

@Eqqman:

If the Japanese are forfeiting control of SZ6, how are you getting the income to keep plopping down these additional infantry?  Presumably you’ve lost all your non-Chinese income to Convoy attacks.

You need to position your Japanese fleet / airforce to allow for a counter strike at zone 6 that would destroy what is there. It is much harder to defend zone 6 directly. Since you don’t leave your fleet there, the US will be tempted to do an amphibious assault, which can be easily dealt with ground buys.

Flip is a great location for such a strategy and also allows you to keep Anzac and UK from thinking they can take DEI anymore.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Spendo02:

@Omega1759:

@Eqqman:

Flip is a great location for such a strategy and also allows you to keep Anzac and UK from thinking they can take DEI anymore.

Or Hong Kong, or zone 36 with a naval base. Becomes more difficult if the US takes the Carolinas…

It’s all about position in this game.

• As far as I can see, following comments:

• If Japan attacks the stack of Russians, they will quite loose airforce and ground forces, making it much more difficult to keep up the fighting with India, ANZAC and the US.
    • If Japan does not declare war on the western allies, UK and ANZAC will ALWAYS declare war on turn 2 (even for just picking up their 3 National objectives). There is Never ever a reason for UK/ANZAC to not declare war on turn 2. The US will declare war on turn 3 anyway, and if not attacked by Japan, collect more income due to the Phillipines and keeping quite some more fleet and airforce.
    • By focusing on Russia for 2 turns, Japan already surrenders. The US focusing the first 2 turns in building up and consolidating their pacific fleet and India&Anzac taking the mony Islands, Japan won’t get going, but will be contained very quickly.
    • A contained Japan within the first 4 turns means, the European Axis have NO chance of winning, except for perfect dice.
  • Customizer

@Eqqman:

Well, this has happened before when Japan actually did pretty well on the mainland. All of China was captured and even Calcutta. However, Japan did lose the DEI and it’s fleet due to the US Navy. So I had a moderate force on the mainland and while I was getting convoy raided, I still had enough money to buy troops for Japan itself.
    I would have 2 or 3 fighters on Japan as well, but didn’t want to waste them trying to attack US warships. Also, I simply couldn’t afford to build any warships of my own or more aircraft, so I just couldn’t get the US fleet out of SZ 6.
    By the way, I would also point out that this was an advantage I took over our US player’s playing style. He kept trying to take Japan out when he should have sent those transports down to liberate India. ANZAC didn’t have enough troops to do that but the US could have easily done so.  As a result, I managed to make just enough money to keep Japan stocked in infantry and prevent an invasion of my capital while having just enough of a force guarding India to keep the ANZACs away.

• TripleA

As far as I can see, following comments:

• If Japan attacks the stack of Russians, they will quite loose airforce and ground forces, making it much more difficult to keep up the fighting with India, ANZAC and the US.
    • If Japan does not declare war on the western allies, UK and ANZAC will ALWAYS declare war on turn 2 (even for just picking up their 3 National objectives). There is Never ever a reason for UK/ANZAC to not declare war on turn 2. The US will declare war on turn 3 anyway, and if not attacked by Japan, collect more income due to the Phillipines and keeping quite some more fleet and airforce.
    • By focusing on Russia for 2 turns, Japan already surrenders. The US focusing the first 2 turns in building up and consolidating their pacific fleet and India&Anzac taking the mony Islands, Japan won’t get going, but will be contained very quickly.
    • A contained Japan within the first 4 turns means, the European Axis have NO chance of winning, except for perfect dice.

No.

Killing siberian stuff is easy. Usually you get 5 siberian territories chasing them back… then it turns into a mexican standoff.

You get the dutch islands and all the usual stuff. It is just a round later. I don’t know what you guys are doing.

• OK I think I might just have something viable for dealing with those stupid Siberians.  With this one the idea is to use threat of overwhelming force to coerce the Bolsheviks into turtling while you drive the SS panzer army up North and then block the enemy horde at Novosibersk.  I’m gonna call this one the Novosiberia Blitz.

G1 build 6 mech, 1 armor.  Take France and Yugo, lose artillery before mechs in France.  Move 3 tanks and every unit in range to Poland, including the 2 infantry from Denmark with the transport.
    R1 Siberians in Buryatia
    J1 Japanese take Chahar and all units from Manchuria and Korea go into Amur

G2 build 10 tanks in Germany, invade Baltic States and Karelia, mobile units from France head East. Planes in Poland
    R2 Novgorod forces run screaming to Archangel. Siberians in Yakut
    J2 take Suiyuyan. Amur force chasing the Siberians West

G3 All from Baltic states and Karelia to Novgorod (total is something like 25inf, 3 art, 4 armor, 6 mech, 3 AA).  Second panzer army goes to Baltic states (10 new tanks plus up to 6 tanks and 4 mechs from Paris, plus air units).
    R3 Russians evacuate Archangel to Smolensk and/or Vologda. Siberians in Yenisey
    J3 Land a million airplanes in Suiyuyan and build airbase

G4 All to Archangel; planes in Novgorod.
    R4 Japan can airstrike either Vologda or Smolensk and land in Archangel, thus allowing the Germans to blitz into Moscow.  If Soviet forces are split to defend both, then the Germans can kill either force easily, perhaps both of them.  Only good option is to pull back in to Moscow.  Siberians in Timguska.
    J4 Clear anything in Vologda, if there is anything, but there probably wont be anything.

G5 tanks/mechs blitz to Novosibersk; pull inf/art back to Novgorod
    R5 attack SS panzer army with infantry @1?  It’s 20 tanks plus some 6-10 mechs
    J5 If Siberians do not attack Germans, kill them with Amur force and air.

G6 Stalingrad and Caucasus

Note how at any point in this little parade the Russians could attack the Germans, but losses would be so terrible that all they really CAN do is pull back.  If they stand in the way they will be crushed by this big tank force with air support and loads of infantry/mechs.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Vance:

OK I think I might just have something viable for dealing with those stupid Siberians.  With this one the idea is to use threat of overwhelming force to coerce the Bolsheviks into turtling while you drive the SS panzer army up North and then block the enemy horde at Novosibersk.  I’m gonna call this one the Novosiberia Blitz.

G1 build 6 mech, 1 armor.  Take France and Yugo, lose artillery before mechs in France.  Move 3 tanks and every unit in range to Poland, including the 2 infantry from Denmark with the transport.
    R1 Siberians in Buryatia
    J1 Japanese take Chahar and all units from Manchuria and Korea go into Amur

G2 build 10 tanks in Germany, invade Baltic States and Karelia, mobile units from France head East. Planes in Poland
    R2 Novgorod forces run screaming to Archangel. Siberians in Yakut
    J2 take Suiyuyan. Amur force chasing the Siberians West

G3 All from Baltic states and Karelia to Novgorod.  Second panzer/mech army goes to Baltic states with air units.
    R3 Russians evacuate Archangel to Smolensk and/or Vologda. Siberians in Yenisey
    J3 Land a million airplanes in Suiyuyan and build airbase

G4 All to Archangel; planes in Novgorod.
    R4 Japan can airstrike either Vologda or Smolensk and land in Archangel, thus allowing the Germans to blitz into Moscow.  If Soviet forces are split to defend both, then the Germans can kill either force easily, perhaps both of them.  Only good option is to pull back in to Moscow.  Siberians in Timguska.
    J4 Clear anything in Vologda, if there is anything, but there probably wont be anything.

G5 tanks/mechs blitz to Novosibersk; pull inf/art back to Novgorod
    R5 attack SS panzer army with infantry @1?  It’s 20 tanks plus some 7-11 mechs
    J5 If Siberians do not attack Germans, kill them with Amur force and air.

G6 Stalingrad and Caucasus

Note how at any point in this little parade the Russians could attack the Germans, but losses would be so terrible that all they really CAN do is pull back.  If they stand in the way they will be crushed by this big tank force with air support and loads of infantry/mechs.

I have not done all the Math, but it looks like if the Russians buy 1 Tac + some artillery and they will crush your Mech forces easily with a counterattack.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m