• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Ok, 12 copies, haha.  Has anyone seen the MSRP?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I would bet that with an E40 sized map comes an E40 sized price tag…

• Customizer

@Variable:

I would bet that with an E40 sized map comes an E40 sized price tag…

That’s probably a safe assumption.

And I guess I’ll also have to get a few copies, too. Sounds interesting and different.

Perhaps once the “popularity snowball” gets going HBG could produce some additional WW1 units for us gamers. Some Fokker Eindeckers, D-VII Albatrosses, DR-1 Triplanes, Gotha Bombers, Sopwith Camels, Se-5s, Spads, “Jennys”, etc., etc., etc.

Sign me Up!!!

“Tall Paul”

• If the other game, The Conflict Great War 1914  ever comes out, that game has bombers anit aircraft and cavalry.

So those units might be compatible!

Alas Zeppelins however, which I believe were the only strategic weapons involved in WW1

• Perhaps once the “popularity snowball” gets going HBG could produce some additional WW1 units for us gamers. Some Fokker Eindeckers, D-VII Albatrosses, DR-1 Triplanes, Gotha Bombers, Sopwith Camels, Se-5s, Spads, “Jennys”, etc., etc., etc.

I suggest HGB get started so we can have a A set of WW1 battle pieces ready in April when the game comes out.  Can wait to customize.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Maybe HBG could make the gals from “Sucker Punch” as balancing factors. That robotic flying rabbit definatly laid waste to the German air attack. How cool would it be if Germany had there own squad of fictitious frahlein marauders?

Awesome!!!

images.jpg

• Customizer

Some ideas for Italy:

Starts off neutral.

Assuming one round = a month, then in May 1915 you decide what Italy does:

Each side “invests” a number of IPCs - these figures are written down in secret (this represents offers to cede territory to Italy after the war.)

Before anything else on the round of May 1415, both sides reveal their bid for Italy. The highest bid wins, and that side pays the IPCs to the bank. If bids are tied, Italy remains neutral for the rest of the war.

Of course, if either side attacks a neutral Italy, it automatically joins the opposing alliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_in_WWI

• If U.S. joins on turn 4 I assume Italy auto joins the allies on turn 2. Also there was never really any hope of Italy joining the war for the Central powers, the Italians had a long standing grudge with Austria-Hungary that needed to be settled one way or the other.

• I do like Flashes idea, and I do respect Darth’s point. Therefore I propose something similar.

Bid in a similar way to what Flashman said, but:

Bidding starts on turn 1, and is cumulative. (secretly keep track of how much each side has paid to Italy)
    Roll a die at the end of every turn. If the number shown is EQUAL TO OR LESSER THAN the current turn number (Turn 3 would be a roll of 3 or 2 or 1 etc) then Italy makes its decision now based on the bids it has received.

Consult the following chart:

The Allied bid was more than 4 IPCs in excess of what the Central Powers bid: Italy Joins the allies at the end of it’s next turn (no combat moves)
    The Allied bid was more than the Central Powers bid: Italy remains neutral and will decide later (roll again next turn)
    The Central powers bid more than than the Allied powers while having bid at least 8 IPCs: Italy remains neutral for the remainder of the game
    The Central powers bid was more than 8 IPCs in excess of what the Allied Powers bid: Italy joins the Central Powers at the end of it’s next turn (no combat moves)

(While a member of the Central Powers Italian units may not occupy Austrian territories, or Ottoman territories. Likewise Austrian Units and Ottoman units may not occupy Italian territories)

• @oztea:

Strategic warfare really had no place in WWI

Political intrigue, deal making and deal breaking, revolution and the like were much more responsible for the outcome of the war.

Would the US ever have joined fully without the Zimmerman Note?
    Could Italy have been persuaded not to join by the Central Powers?
    Could the Marxist revolution have been put down?

I am of the opinion that the US not even be allowed to join the war unless attacked, but their transports be moving IPCs to England and France, would make an attack necessary.

Lets say for instance, US starts with no transports, but are encouraged to build them, and load in each one supplies for the allies.
    So the longer the game goes on, the more Germany is going to feel that flow of IPCs into Europe.
    Eventually, Germany would be compelled to attack the US transports. Instead of just “US joins on turn 4”

The US was selling to the Central powers just as much as the “Allied” powers in the begining of the war. Remeber Wilhelm was the grandson of Queen Victoria and at first this was seen as just another family conflict between European Countries. Early in the war there was just as much reason for the US to enter on the Central powers side as the So called Allied powers side.

• On speculation as to rules, there is also this thread: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29102.0

Regarding whether a 1914 game will be a boon for sculpts that integrate with current WW2 era games, I am doubtful. Consider that there is to be no color conformity with other WOTC products (Germany is grey again, and what shade of grey we do not know). And consider that even within WOTC products there is no conformity among sculpts (acromegalic ANZACS), nor thoughtfulness of color selection (chestnut Soviets alongside brown Italians).

• Customizer

@KrisBeKreame:

The US was selling to the Central powers just as much as the “Allied” powers in the begining of the war. Remeber Wilhelm was the grandson of Queen Victoria and at first this was seen as just another family conflict between European Countries. Early in the war there was just as much reason for the US to enter on the Central powers side as the So called Allied powers side.

Wow, could you just imagine the US joining the Central Powers in WW1? Bet the outcome would have been much different.
    I had an alternate history story once where the Confederacy won in the Civil War so the US was actually 3 different countries: The Union in the north, the Confederacy in the south and some sort of Western Union west of the Rockies. Due to continuing high tensions between the North and South, the US never entered WW1 and Germany ended up conquering Europe. As a result, there was no WW2 or Nazi Party as the Kaiser retained power.

• Harry Turtledove writes a lot of alternate history that includes a south/North stalemate and it’s implications during WWI and WWII.

• Customizer

A possible timetable for nations joining:

Based on 1 turn = 3 months, starting August 1914

TURN ONE:

AUSTRIA (CP), GERMANY (CP)

RUSSIA, Serbia, FRANCE, Belgium, BRITAIN, Montenegro

TURN TWO:

TURKEY (CP)

TURN FOUR:

ITALY (?)

TURN FIVE:

Bulgaria (CP)

TURN SEVEN:

Portugal

TURN EIGHT:

Arab revolt

TURN NINE:

Romania

TURN ELEVEN:

USA

TURN TWELVE:

Greece

Of course any neutral attacked before the scheduled date automatically joins in against the alliance that attacked it.

Too late for USA joining?  Got to give the CP a chance…

I’m not suggesting that every county can be bid for: Turkey would never join the same side as Russia; USA is not likely to attack UK and France.

Most countries (bar Italy) would have a “pro” stance towards one alliance, preventing it from joining the opposition.

• Customizer

I Should’ve added:

TURN EIGHT:

Arab revolt

Regarding pieces - another of my old hobby horses - tank salvage

A high proportion of tanks were captured intact, due to high breakdown levels. Captured tanks can be immediately pressed into service, so maybe each power should have a few tanks of the opposing model.

The vast majority of tanks used by the CP were captured allied units.

• Step 1 – Check for New Alliances:
    Check to see if any new powers enter the game.  Their forces are immediately set up, and their money is added to the nation that controls them.  This is stated on the set up table.

1. Serbia and Montenegro start as Russian Allies. 5. Romania joins the Allies on turn 6.
    2. Italy joins the Allies on turn 3. 6. United States joins the Allies at the end of turn 8.
    3. Bulgaria joins the Central Powers on turn 4.                                              
    4. Portugal joins the Allies on turn 5. 7. Greece joins Allies turn 9

• Too bad Larry said the map only extends to New York and not LA. I was hoping for a Mexican player that could join the Centrals!

• @oztea:

Harry Turtledove writes a lot of alternate history that includes a south/North stalemate and it’s implications during WWI and WWII.

And they are awesome

• @Emperor_Taiki:

Too bad Larry said the map only extends to New York and not LA. I was hoping for a Mexican player that could join the Centrals!

That would be Awesome!

• That would be the expansion map that might include some boxes for the pacific.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m