• Hey, fellows! I’ve a question for the more experienced players on this forum concerning Japan’s second turn naval strategy. This question takes it as granted that the Japs must both: A.) destroy the American fleet at Pearl Harbor, and, B.) invade and occupy the Hawaiian Islands during the first round of play. In an average game, the Japanese forces in the South Pacific after turn 1 should be as follows: 2 battlehips, 1 carrier, 1 transport in the Hawaiian SZ, 2 fighters on the carrier, 1 infantry occupying Hawaii, 1 infantry on the Soloman Islands, and 1 bomber on the Soloman Islands (flown there after the battle).

Now, my questions is: Should the Japanese concentrate on capturing Australia and New Zealand, or should they instead redeploy their fleet back to the East and focus upon the campaign against Allied forces in India and, eventually, Africa?

I am constantly weighing the longterm value of the 3 IPCs gained from the ANZAC territories versus the benefits of having the Japanese fleet in a position to immediately bombard Allied coastal forces in India and the Middle East (2 battleship broadsides per amphibious assault is tasty). Taking Oz and NZ takes the fleet away from the main theatre of operations for three turns. Are 3 IPCs per turn enough to make up for the delay in firepower/projection of force to India and the Middle East?

• I think a lot of this depends on how you’re doing on mainland Asia after J1. If, for example, you’re really on a roll then you might want to think about sending part of the fleet down there for the time being. It’s only 3 IPC but let’s face it, it’s 3 IPC that will remain Japanese until the game ends since there’s really no feasible way for UK or US to get a force down there without Japan smelling it out well in advance and preparing a counterstrike with naval forces.

Also, if UK has built an IC in India I highly suggest taking that out ASAP for the obvious reasons. If they haven’t, and if you’re making headway against China/ Eastern Russia, it might be worth it to send the fleet down there. It’s an extra INF a turn for you and even more important (if you ask me), it’s one LESS for UK. During the earlier stages, the UK/ Russia needs every unit they can get to stand up to the constant German attacks. So it’s certainly helpful to your ally.

I don’t think you HAVE to occupy Hawaii on J1… taking out the fleet is usually good enough to make sure the US sends the remaining ships to the Atlantic. But if you’re going to take the Aussies yeah you had better destroy the fleet at Pearl. Just make sure that you’re not diverting too much resources to this as early on the difference of even one INF on the mainland for the Japanese can make a big difference and by J2 you want to be pumping them over and preparing for a J3-J4 assault on the heartland of Russia.

• take new zeland from the start, jsut throw an INF on it. but you might want to wait a bit on Austrailia, until after youve secured youre position on the mainland and can defend it. then just send the bomber down (assuming you still have it) and an inf or two.

• It’s nice to send over a bb for a bombardment too – on AUS.

I suggest taking them (AUS & NZ) A.S.A.P. – UK will be down 3 ipcs (and JAP up 3 ipcs) for several turns, if not the entire game.

• Well, fellas, I’m inclined to agree. The fact that the ANZAC IPCs are largely permanent is a strong case, indeed. . .

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m