G40 2012 League Championships News

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Ok, so tomorrow the G40 Championships start officially (although the format has still to be declared).

Anyhow, Mr.Green, U505 and me are up, as may be one or two others, but I think that might be it.

So, given all the changes etc, I thought I would start this thread to have a place where people could comment on the games in one place and see what we can learn about this “evolving” G40 game.

All I can say now is that Mr. Green has become one mean SOB with the Axis.  Haven’t played U505, so can’t say. But don’t doubt he’s good.

Let the games begin!

Update:

Well, the playoffs ended really quickly.  It was Mr.Green v. U505, and me v. Jimi010.  Jimi010 couldn’t do it so bowed out.  U505 got diced on G1 and resigned.  So now its Mr.Green v. me for the whole thing.

Here’s the thread for anyone who is interested – we are just going into round 2 as of this post:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28982.0

For anyone following, please, please, please feel very free to comment.  I’m not an objective observer so don’t want to do much in they way of commentary.  (Also, don’t want to give Mr.Green any hint of what I’m thinking.  :wink:)

All I will say though, is that the Axis went J1 and the UK did Taranto.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Interesting position for round 4.  Did America come into the war early?

Beach heads in France (pissant ones, but they exist and that’s all that matters!) and Africa is pretty much gone for the Axis at the moment.  Looks like a rough road for the Axis, but then, the game starts out looking like a rough road for the axis!

G’luck you two.

Round 6 update.

Looks like axis advantage in the Pacific is pushing them towards victory as Japan maneuvers towards Australia!

No major battles to report.  Since round 3 or so, the game has mostly been maneuvers.  But things are about to heat up big time as we come down to it.

Round 7 saw the first major battles of what I think will prove to be the Axis push to victory in the Pacific.

The US made a desperate attack against a some what superior Japanese force at the Carolines and managed to reduce it to a singe damaged battleship.  How this will affect the march on Australia is unclear as Japan has 2 more fleets raging around the Pacific as against the now 1 US (new) fleet.  At least a little better than 3 Japanese fleets to 1 US fleet.

The allies cleared out the Axis from Africa, but the focus in the Pacific has maybe given Germany an opening to restart its forward momentum.

We can’t post the maps right now for some reason, so if anyone wants a map PM me.

For anyone following, the game is coming down to a photo finish.  Japan has staked it all on capturing NSW. If it fails to do so by the next round, the allies are poised to come rolling in from all sides!

MrGreen takes NSW with Japan for the G40 League 2012 win!

The British had a shot at taking back IND, but got completely diced on the first round of their attack.

Hats off to Mr.Green!  :lol:

Quick game summary for anyone interested:

This was definitely one of the better G40 games I’ve played in awhile. Germany did a standard opening, clearing out the British fleets in 110 and 111 with ease and building a couple ships itself.  The allies responded by sending the British in against the Italians with success, knocking out most of their fleet.  The US built up a major fleet off the east coats to warn off any attempt by the Germans to slide down to Gibraltar and control the Atlantic and Med.  I’ve seen this happen where Germany can block any allied approach to west coast of Europe and the slowly wear down the USSR for the win.

Anyhow, the US pushed the German fleet back into the Baltic where it stayed more or less the rest of the game.  The German air force did manage to sink the remnant UK fleet in the Med, resulting a more or less stalemate in that arena with the UK firmly in control of Cairo.  The Axis invasion of Russia never got very far given the allied pressure from the Atlantic, and by turn 5 the European Axis were fairly well contained.

In the Pacific however things went much differently.  Japan went J1, taking out Hon, Phi, and Bor.  As a result India never got going and got pushed out of Ind rather easily.  The US and Anzac spent time building up ground forces to defend the VC’s but otherwise provided only annoying, small counter attacks for the first few rounds.  Once Japan had completed its conquest of India and the DEI, Japan pulled a surprise move and went for Sydney for the win.  Generally, Sydney is the harder in my estimation given the distance, but Japan effectively began moving its units into position.

The US responded to the situation with a desperate attack against the main Japanese fleet in the Carolines.  The battle was a success in as much as the US didn’t get killed and managed to trade fleets with Japan.  This worked to the US advantage in as much as the US started spending 100% of its income now in the Pacific and would eventually wear out Japan, as Japan, even at its heightened income, could not fend off everybody.  Indeed, just as Japan lurched toward Sydney the UK had a resurgence and was pushing a major force across the Middle East to threaten India.  So the game came down to a question of timing.  Could Japan take Sydney before the Allies came crashing in from all sides?  (Even the Chinese were coming back with Russian help.)

Well, alas, despite some desperate last minute battles in Australia itself, Japan managed to crush the Anzac defenders in a remarkably dice neutral battle.  The last hope for the Allies was for the UK to storm India.  They had I think a 45% chance of victory, not great but if luck were to come to the rescue… but it did not. The UK got completely routed by the dice round 1 of the battle to the tune of 7 UK hits to 18 Japan hits.  The game was over…

I think the Allies were one turn too short in coming back to the Pacific.  Mr. Green deftly expedited Japan’s advance through the Pacific and go the jump on the poor Allies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m