Death! Destruction! Flooding! Thousands without power or even their homes!

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Hey, everyone remember a week ago when Hurricane Sandy was a category 2 Hurricane and killed 69 people in the Caribbean and the media was in a frenzy to report the tragic deaths, flooding, destruction of homes etc of all those poor people from places like Cuba and Haiti?

…yeah me neither.

Did Canadian news report on the destruction down there?

GG

• I have been thinking of you North Americans.
    Not nice. I am sorry.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Guerrilla:

Did Canadian news report on the destruction down there?

GG

No. Nobody did. That’s the point. I found only one article in the Calgary Herald. The Hurricane was more powerful, destructive and deadly a week ago in the Caribbean but those were all poor Black and Hispanic people and they die all the time so the media didn’t really care.

But now that the stock market was closed for a day or Boston had a blackout it’s a massive fcuking news story 24 hours a day.

That’s just the world we live in I guess.

• In europe too. It went totaly under the table because the majority was focused on the Greeks and the other european countries. sad, very sad…
    (according to the Caribbean disaster)

• @Canuck12:

No. Nobody did.

I disagree.  The story was headline news on every Canadian newspaper website I checked yesterday, plus on the websites of Canadian television news networks like the CBC and CTV – so I’m not sure on what basis Canuck12 describes this as “nobody”.  Unless perhaps he was talking about print newspapers, which I didn’t check.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Canuck, if you think that’s bad, a friend of mine who is a paramedic in Surrey just went to an -Emergency- conference last week.

There he was instructed about a recent outbreak in India, which killed 30,000 people in less than a week. The Signs the Symptoms, and the experts currently on scene trying to figure it out.

Bottom Line? They still have NO idea what happend or what illness killed these people, and the kicker? NOBODY is talking about it. We tried to google it and didn’t find jack *#&$.

He says this kind of stuff happens all the time…

People only freak out if the lives are “American”.

I also seem to remember around 2006, when a chinese dam blewand killed something like 250,000 people.  The People’s republic wouldn’t even report it.  The story only ended up making news because a handful of some of the 2 million displaced people or so sought refuge in other countries.

And the Kicker as I recall?

The federal government were “Planning” to blow the damn in the near future for “new construction” anyways… and had met “slight resistance” from local authorities.

@Gargantua:

People only freak out if the lives are “American”.

Of course, you’d have to define what you by “American” here, but I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. “Americans” would care if it were other lives, but, like you said, it isn’t reported on. The fault lies with what the executives at a journalistic agency regards as “worthwhile” or not.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@CWO:

@Canuck12:

No. Nobody did.

I disagree.  The story was headline news on every Canadian newspaper website I checked yesterday, plus on the websites of Canadian television news networks like the CBC and CTV – so I’m not sure on what basis Canuck12 describes this as “nobody”.  Unless perhaps he was talking about print newspapers, which I didn’t check.

What was the headline? The Storm hitting Haiti or the storm hitting Jersey Shore?

Because I’m pretty sure (and by that I mean 100% sure) that on Oct 30 as New Jersey had just been evacuated, that most new agencies were busy reporting the current status of Sandy rather than her status 1 week earlier.

What I’m getting at is the proportion of coverage for the impact on American people versus Caribbean people. Like Garg said. Sure it happens all the time, it’s probably to be expected. But I think it is rather shameful how we value peoples lives differently if they have more money or a different tan.

• Man i’m so tired of hearing nothing but the disaster in Haiti on the news. Whats going on in the northeast USA anyway?  I think the Haiti disaster may delay the US elections and perhaps decide them.

You also have to acknowledge Canuck, that CNN isn’t exactly the Caribbean News Network…

We watch and recieve alot of American programming, that’s just how it is…  Of course they are going to talk about the news in their own community more…

I mean, do you really want to hear about the Royal Family everyday?  You would if you lived in England.

• I’d be interested to know to what degree the Caribbean media covered the Hurricanes effects on New Jersey.

Yeah, where the hell are the billions of dollars of Caribbean aid?

And where are all the rescue workers?

And when is the Carribean going to start building New Jersey new schools?

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Hahaha. All true statements.

And about the UK. I currently live with 4 girls from the UK and I literally hear about the BBC every day.

I guess I will settle down about the disproportionate coverage. Also I think the death-toll in the US is now approaching that in the Caribbean. So… Suck it Cuba!

• '12

The hurricane that struck the west coast of North America has also devastated the band Caribbean

This is the first line of the Italian to English translation, clearly machine translation has a ways to go.  I really liked that band!

The Carribean doesn’t care about us! I can’t find a single carribean source that mentions the DEVESTATION and DEATH in New Jersey!

And they only want to send us people with aids, as opposed to people who give aid!

Woes me!

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20121102/lead/lead2.html

i dont have access to archives but theres at least 1.

point taken though.

Good game canuck ;)

When are you in town next for a beating?  Christmas?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m