• I’m looking for advice on the best allocation of Russian troops to complement an invasion of Norway on R1.

I will send all available units to Norway: 3 inf, 1 tank and 2 fighters. What should be done with the rest of the troops?

I assume it is also important to take West Russia. Is it best to send all other available troops to West Russia, or should some be held back to fortify Karelia or Caucusus? Should troops be sent to Karelia to support the fighter that will hopefully survive Norway and land there?

Additionally, what would be the best R1 purchase to complement a Norway invasion? Will the standard 2 inf, 2 art and 2 tanks or 3 inf and 3 tanks suffice, or is it best to make a defensive purchase heavy on inf?

Thanks.

• A Norway invasion rarely is successful for the Russians, especially when you leave WRus and Caucus in a terrible position.  You will probably never hold onto Norway, and will spend wasteful time trying to recapture it.  Germany can seal off the North Atlantic and isolate Norway immediately.  And if Egypt falls G1, your Brits/US should focus on retaking Africa immediately, not taking Norway.  Never put your Russian FTRs in position to be lost either (landing in Karelia).  The Russians can’t hold/fight if their fighters are lost.  Trying to hold a lot of land with the Russians is not a recommended tactic.  The two territories you should concentrate your thoughts in is with WRus and Ukraine.  I’m not in favor of buying tanks so early (1 is ok, 2 is wasteful).  4inf/3art provides D and offense at the same time (especially when you keep your FTRs alive).

• @Mallery29:

A Norway invasion rarely is successful for the Russians, especially when you leave WRus and Caucus in a terrible position.  You will probably never hold onto Norway, and will spend wasteful time trying to recapture it.  Germany can seal off the North Atlantic and isolate Norway immediately.  And if Egypt falls G1, your Brits/US should focus on retaking Africa immediately, not taking Norway.  Never put your Russian FTRs in position to be lost either (landing in Karelia).  The Russians can’t hold/fight if their fighters are lost.  Trying to hold a lot of land with the Russians is not a recommended tactic.  The two territories you should concentrate your thoughts in is with WRus and Ukraine.  I’m not in favor of buying tanks so early (1 is ok, 2 is wasteful).  4inf/3art provides D and offense at the same time (especially when you keep your FTRs alive).

I see the main purpose of a Norway invasion on R1 as protecting the British battleship and transport. If Norway is taken, that British fleet cannot be hit with German air on G1.

• '16 '15 '10

@The:

I’m looking for advice on the best allocation of Russian troops to complement an invasion of Norway on R1.

I will send all available units to Norway: 3 inf, 1 tank and 2 fighters. What should be done with the rest of the troops?

I assume it is also important to take West Russia. Is it best to send all other available troops to West Russia, or should some be held back to fortify Karelia or Caucusus? Should troops be sent to Karelia to support the fighter that will hopefully survive Norway and land there?

Additionally, what would be the best R1 purchase to complement a Norway invasion? Will the standard 2 inf, 2 art and 2 tanks or 3 inf and 3 tanks suffice, or is it best to make a defensive purchase heavy on inf?

yes, hit west russia with everything else.  Just be careful…if you don’t take West Russia on the first round and the Germans inflict heavy casualties, then you may need to consider retreating.  Make sure Germany can’t easily counter West Russia.

Re the buy, I’m not sure.  3 inf 3 arm or 5 inf art arm are both good.

• As Germany, I never would go for the BB.  Don’t need to.  Germany can fortify Europe, make the N. Atlantic impossible and crush Russia with the Japanese on the other side knocking on the back door.  This game is Axis favored.  If Germany sinks the EUS CA/2Trans, then the Axis really have the upper hand.  The UK BB can be toyed with later.  The Germans should focus its air on defending the N. Atlantic and adding a sub for the first 2-3 turns.  The rest of the German money goes to fortifying its lines and taking Egypt.  Germany’s remaining 5FTRs, Bomber, and subs is enough to contain the Atlantic while Japan runs free.  Russia’s best move is WRUS with Ukraine as a recommended second target.  There are of course other options, but in the end, this is a waste of resources by the Soviets which could be used to give the Allies time.  Norway does not save the Allies.

• IMO, West Russia should always be taken out.  That way you can put most (if not all) of your purchase down in Caucasus.  I often also attack Belarus, using the 2 fighters with infantry from Karelia.  You can reinforce Karelia from Archangel with maybe 2 infantry, which you will lose but are enough to force the Germans to commit resources to the attack. The German’s main weakness is that the various territories in Eastern Europe suck up infantry rapidly and it takes two turns to get new purchases east from Berlin. If Russia can protect its capital assets and keep trading infantry with Germany, the Allies have a good chance of victory.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m