I’d like to see what version people are playing.  
    Are more people now moving to G40 permanently?  Still playing both?  Playing one regularly and only casually playing the other?  Playing other versions (not G40 or AA50)?

Also if you vote, give a reason why (make a post), even if it is just “I like X game better”.  But more detailed reasons are encouraged as are comparisons between the two versions.

I’ll be playing AA50-41 for sure.  Not sure how many games I’ll play but I’ll definitely play AA50 league games.  G40 seems a bit too much (what to do, number of players/turns, bigger map/more territories, longer game time) and I’m not sure I’ll have the time next year to really learn it, but I can’t say I won’t at least try to play a game or two.  But for voting purposes I’ll be voting just AA50.

• I don’t think I’ll play league games next year, but for sure I would not have time to play G40. This game is really big…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I like Global Better.  It’s a lot harder for me to win, and I figure, if I am losing games, I am learning something!  Anniversary is a LOT easier for me to win, which is probably why “we” came out with an enhanced version of Anniversary in line with the revised enhanced version of revised.

• I have played Global since it came out 2 years ago, and through all the different versions of Alpha.  I played P40 several times before E40 (G40) came out in September 2010.

However, I can still only handle one game of Global at a time, because it is so much more involved.  Therefore I voted AA50 because I don’t think I will finish more than 3 games of Global in a year.  The G40 1v1 global games I do play will be in league, but I have no intention of playing enough to qualify for the post-season.

It is a shame the 1942 scenario of AA50 is not getting any play.  It is more realistic than 1941, and saves you going through the motions of the first 1 or 2 rounds of 1941 (pushing into Russia, taking the Pacific oil islands).  The problem is it’s not easy to switch between the 2 scenarios because they have different turn orders (major design flaw IMO)

So my 2013 plans are the same as 2012.  A couple G40 games in league, and 10+ games of AA50 in league.

@Jenn what enhanced version of AA50?

• G40 permanent move for me next year. Triple AAA too, who would have guessed?

Really enjoy the G40 multi player tourney Garg is putting on. Met quite a few new members/players which is nice.

G40 is quite in depth, LOTS of options, MUCH more complex. IMO, simple strategic concepts used in Classic, Revised etc…will not work in this game.

There are Naval & Air Bases! Tactical Aircraft, Mechanized Units! Scramble orders! Really great for an A&A nerd like me!  :-D

I agree, you can play multiple games of Anniversary simultaniously.  I have a hard time playing two G40 games simultanoiusly.  And the G40 games are a LOT longer.    Granted, the difference isnt as huge as G40 vs Classic as it is for G40 vs AA50, but it’s still a longer game.

I’d like to do more AA50 next year than this year.  I’d love to do more AARe than either, if you ask me, but I think that’s pretty much impossible for me.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

G40 here.

BattleMap for who will take it. TrippleA if I must.

• G40. Don’t have anything against AA50-41. But I’m enjoying 4 games concurrently of G40. I know. I know. There’s something wrong with me. But it’s the right kind of wrong.

• Actually, now that I think of it, that might explain why I keep hitting ctrl-b at my desk everytime I try to paste something from the clipboard…  :-D

@Karl7:

G40 here.

BattleMap for who will take it. TrippleA if I must.

Amen there, brother.  TripleA might be all good and all now, but I remember a litany of issues with it over the years.  Not to mention it’s very hard to set it up to look similar to Battlemap and to my knowledge, the shortcuts in battlemap dont work in triplea. (shift-click, control-click and shift-control-click) which is annoying.

• @Cmdr:

I like Global Better.  It’s a lot harder for me to win, and I figure, if I am losing games, I am learning something!  Anniversary is a LOT easier for me to win, which is probably why “we” came out with an enhanced version of Anniversary in line with the revised enhanced version of revised.

Jen’s calling we AA50 players chumps!  :(

I’m going to branch out and take my lumps in AAG40 next year.  I’ve finally gotten to the point where I compete to the best of my abilities in AA50–and she’s right (although she said it differently).  There are things to learn in AAG40 for myself.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Also if you vote, give a reason why (make a post), even if it is just “I like X game better”.  But more detailed reasons are encouraged as are comparisons between the two versions.

I own AA50 but never really played it much.  I joined the forum right when G40 came out and started playing it first.  I tried to go “back” to AA50, but found it very hard to plan when your mind instinctively thinks there are airbases and harbors here and there.  Plus AA50 has a pretty pronounced “fog of war” element that I’m not used to.

I don’t know, I guess when you start to really appreciate your tac bombers and airbases etc, it’s hard to play without them…  :wink:

• AA50 for me. Global seems overwhelming and I don’t know if we’re on version 3 or 6.93523. Furthermore, Global is huge and intimidating to take on, especially if no one is willing to show you the ropes.

And when you haven’t played in a while, I would think AA50 would be the better one to jump into to rekindle the skillz.

• @The:

AA50 for me. Global seems overwhelming and I don’t know if we’re on version 3 or 6.93523.

We’re on 2nd edition, complete with a printed rule book.  It’s basically Alpha3 with a very minor tweak or two.

• @Gamerman01:

@The:

AA50 for me. Global seems overwhelming and I don’t know if we’re on version 3 or 6.93523.

We’re on 2nd edition, complete with a printed rule book.  It’s basically Alpha3 with a very minor tweak or two.

This printed rule book, is it coming with the new Global games? Or is it online and can be printed out?

• It’s both. It shipped with E40.2 and P40.2. And it’s available for download. On the G40 forum the thread is stickied.

Essentially, it’s the version that has been on the Harris site that is commonly referred to as Alpha+3 final or Alpha+3.9 with the following two changes:

*UK -1 infantry in Egypt.

*If the USSR attacks Japanese-controlled Korea, it is treated exactly as though the USSR has attacked a Japanese-controlled territory adjacent to Mongolia for purposes of the Mongolian rule (ie. Japan now has free reign to attack any Soviet territory anywhere without triggering the Mongolian 6 infantry and territories to move to Soviet control).

• 2007 AAR League

Speaking from someone who has been away from the game a long time ( Jen and a few others that I used to play against alot, whatever happened to nccswitch by the way ) I used to play revised only. Have played about half a dozen games of the G40 version and that has rediscovered my passion for the A&A genre. Triplea is definetly the way to go I have discovered. Who has the time to post with Abattlemap anymore? I definetly will play the new 2013 league but with opponents who play with the Triplea version. Anyway game on and I look forward playing against anyone who enjoys a good game, which the majority on this site seem to do.
    Rand……

• I like Global 1940 but I am new to the game and I never played any of the other ones.  Too lazy to learn them if Global is supposed to be the latest greatest.

• 2007 AAR League

I made the decision to switch to Global and tripleA months ago. The differences between them and AA50/Abattlemap are like the difference between riding a motorcycle and a bicycle.

@Cmdr:

I have a hard time playing two G40 games simultanoiusly.  And the G40 games are a LOT longer.

They are only a lot longer because you are using Abattlemap. Join us in the 21st century. It’s fun.

TripleA takes me a lot longer than Abattlemap!  I, also, make a lot more mistakes on that platform for various reasons (mostly due with how horrible it is to get the view I want with the graphics I need.)

Generally, now, when I use TripleA I also use a game board to track the entire board - which in turn slows me down even more since now I have to replicate your moves and mine on a physical board. :P

I agree, however, TripleA is prettier.  I disagree that it is better.  Make it work like battlemap, show 80% of the board (minimum) at a time with high resolution and call me. ^_^

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m