2013 - AA50-41 League Rules

2013 Axis and Allies Anniversary League Rules.

1 - Anyone can join at anytime

2 - You may play anyone in the league, but only a max of 3 games per opponent will count in standings. League games must be declared a League game (in thread title or League forum) prior to the start of the game.

3 - You must play at least 8 games against 5 different opponents.

3a (Major/Minor Leagues) -
    Major League (13+ games played)
    Minor League (8 to 12 games played)

4 - Game & rules default - AA50-41 setup, ADS, NO’s, No Tech, 14 VC, Allied bid, full bid placement.

4a - Tech - Tech is allowed in every game if you and your opponent agree to Tech prior to bidding.  To avoid confusion please notate +Tech in the first post of the game thread if this is the case.

4b - Bidding - You will be bidding for the Allies.
    An Auction style of bidding will be used.  Players may announce their desired bid in IPCs while trying to find an opponent.  Any player can accept the bid or attempt to negotiate the bid up or down until an agreement is reached.  The ipcs can then be spent on units (full placement) or used for IPCs.  If both players bid the same (or cannot agree on a bid) the sides are chosen by a random in-house dice roll.

4c - Bid Placements - Bids can be placed all in one territory, spread out over multiple territories, or taken in IPCs to one country or split between multiple countries.
    Land bids must be placed in a territory which you own at the beginning of the game but are restricted to units of that countries nationality.  
    Examples for clarification -
    A - UK can bid units to Egy.  Russia/US cannot.
    B - UK can bid units to Bor/Sum.  Russia/US cannot.
    C - US/UK/Rus cannot bid units to any Chinese territory.  Only Chinese units can be placed there.
    Naval Bids must be placed in a seazone which already contains at least one unit and are restricted to that countries nationality.
    Examples for clarification -
    A - Russia can only bit naval units to sz 4.
    B - UK can bid units to sz 12.  Russia/US cannot.
    C - US can bid units to sz 50.  Russia/UK cannot.
    You can bid for Industrial Complexes.  Placement (of newly purchased units) may take place immediately in the placement phase of Round 1.  The new IC will be limited by the IPC total of the territory on which it is placed and all other standard IC rules apply.

5 - 5a - Time Limits - There is a 72 hour time limit per move. However, play can be paused for a total of 21 days, for whatever reason, without penalty by simply posting the need for a vacation. Please specify the duration of your absence in your game.

5b - Weekend Players.  If you can only play on the weekend or on certain days, please state so when you are looking for an opponent.

5c - 72 hr warnings:  If 72 hrs goes by and no post from your opponent simply post “bump”, which creates the warning.  (Note:  only post “bump” in your warnings to make it clear you are issuing a warning.  Do not add any small talk or other game talk in your warning post.)

5d Bump warning and consequences.  Each “bump” warning resets the clock for another 72 hrs.  However, on the 4th “bump” warning the offending player will be disqualified and declared the loser for that game.  (Note:  You get only 3 warnings per game.)  You must post the warning when it happens (or before the next move has been made by your opponent).  Enforcement is left entirely up to the players. However, you cannot retroactively issue a “bump” warning.  (For example, if the game is in round 8 you cannot go back and issue a warning that occured in round 7).  “Bump” warnings can be issued for posting of partial turns (ie someone only posted their purchases), OOL requests, map questions, etc. But they follow the same 72 hr requirement.

5e - If a turn is not posted within 9 days of either the previous turn post or the end of a predetermined “vacation”, then the player failing to post may be declared in default and lose the game

6 - Players are responsible to post results (in result thread). Post winner and loser.

7a - The Regular Season will end on Dec. 31 2013 and the standings will then be posted.  Games must be completed prior to this date in order to be counted for the 2013 season.

7b - Any games in progress that are completed after this date will be eligible to count for the next league (2014) assuming league rules remain the same or are similar.

7c - 2014 season begins Jan. 1 2014

8 - End of the Season games.  Per rule (7b), all games that finish after Dec. 31 will be carried over to the next season.
    EXCEPTION:  If at any time during the season both players agreed that their game will end prior to the end of the season (and neither player is willing to concede at the end of the year) then the following system will be used to determine a winner on the last day of the season  (Please note play would need to continue up to that point due to the 72 hr rule):
     - 1)  player with most capitals (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 2)  If a player has 12 VCs or more (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 3)  player with highest TUV for all units (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 4)  Game is a DRAW (and will not be counted in the current standings and CANNOT be carried over).
    There will be no negotiation.  If you agreed to finish before the end of the season this is the criteria to determine the winner.  Period.

**9 - Scoring
    We will be using a weighted points based system to determine the league winner.  At the end of the season players will be sorted based on win% (rounded to 1 decimal point) and divided into 10 tiers at 10% intervals to determine how many points a player would earn for a win.  Points will be awarded as follows:

90-100% = 10 pts per win
    80-89.9 = 9
    70-79.9 = 8
    60-69.9 = 7
    50-59.9 = 6
    40-49.9 = 5
    30-39.9 = 4
    20-29.9 = 3
    10-19.9 = 2
    0-9.9 = 1 pt per win

If you beat a player in the 90-99% tier you’d get 10 pts, in the 80-89.9 tier you’d get 9 pts, in the 70-79.9 tier you’d get 8 pts, etc.

For each loss you will lose 3 pts.  (-3)

The player with the most points at the end of the season will be the league winner.
    13+ = major league
    8-12 games = minor league**

If there is a tie between any players then the tie will be broken by:
    1 - Head to head play
    2 - Total wins

League Moderators
    DarthMaximus
    JWW

–-----------------------------------

2013 league officially starts on Nov. 1.
    Last minute comments/clarifications I need to make?

2012 rules for reference until end of 2012 season.

@DarthMaximus:

2012 Axis and Allies Anniversary League Rules.

1 - Anyone can join at anytime

2 - You may play anyone in the league, but only a max of 2 games per opponent will count in standings. League games must be declared a League game (in thread title or League forum) prior to the start of the game.

2a - Tiebraker.  You may play a person a third time if your first two games were split (1-1) and this third game would count in the standings.  (Note: it will be impossible to be 3-0 or 0-3 against any one player).

3 - You must play at least 8 games against 6 different opponents to be eligible for the playoffs.

3a (Major League) - If 4 or more players end up playing 14 games (in the league) or more then a separate grouping and playoff schedule will be created for these players.
    Minor League (8 to 13 games played)
    Major League (14+ games played)

4 - Game & rules default - AA50-41 setup, ADS, NO’s, No Tech, 14 VC, Allied bid, full bid placement.

4a - Tech - Tech is allowed in every game if you and your opponent agree to Tech prior to bidding.  To avoid confusion please notate +Tech in the first post of the game thread if this is the case.

4b - Bidding - You will be bidding for the Allies.
    An Auction style of bidding will be used.  Players may announce their desired bid in IPCs while trying to find an opponent.  Any player can accept the bid or attempt to negotiate the bid up or down until an agreement is reached.  The ipcs can then be spent on units (full placement).
    If both players bid the same (or cannot agree on a bid) the sides are chosen by random by the bid server or a random in-house dice roll.
    Standard bid placement rules apply for all bids.  (Same as previous leagues)

5 - 5a - Time Limits - There is a 72 hour time limit per move. However, play can be paused for a total of 21 days, for whatever reason, without penalty by simply posting the need for a vacation. Please specify the duration of your absence in your game.

5b - Weekend Players.  If you can only play on the weekend or on certain days, please state so when you are looking for an opponent.

5c - 72 hr warnings:  If 72 hrs goes by and no post from your opponent simply post “bump”, which creates the �warning�.  (Note:  only post “bump” in your warnings to make it clear you are issuing a warning.  Do not add any small talk or other game talk in your warning post.)

5d � �Bump� warning and consequences � Each “bump” warning resets the clock for another 72 hrs.  However, on the 4th “bump” warning the offending player will be disqualified and declared the loser for that game.  (Note:  You get only 3 warnings per game.)  You must post the warning when it happens (or before the next move has been made by your opponent).  Enforcement is left entirely up to the players. However, you cannot retroactively issue a “bump” warning.  (For example, if the game is in round 8 you cannot go back and issue a warning that occured in round 7).  “Bump” warnings can be issued for posting of partial turns (ie someone only posted their purchases), OOL requests, map questions, etc. But they follow the same 72 hr requirement.

5e - If a turn is not posted within 9 days of either the previous turn post or the end of a predetermined “vacation”, then the player failing to post may be declared in default and lose the game

6 - Players are responsible to post results (in result thread). Post winner and loser.

7a - The Regular Season for each league will end on Nov. 1 and the standings will then be posted.  Games must be completed prior to this date in order to be counted for the 2012 season.

7b - Any games in progress that are completed after this date will be eligible to count for the next league (2013) assuming league rules remain the same or are similar.

7c � 2012 Playoffs begin Nov 2nd

7d � 2013 season begins Nov 2nd

8 - End of the Season games.  Per rule (7b), all games that finish after Nov. 1 will be carried over to the next season.
    EXCEPTION:  If at any time during the season both players agreed that their game will end prior to the end of the season (and neither player is willing to concede at the end of the year) then the following system will be used to determine a winner on the last day of the season  (Please note play would need to continue up to that point due to the 72 hr rule):
     - 1)  player with most capitals (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 2)  If a player has 12 VCs or more (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 3)  player with highest TUV for all units (at end of last completed US turn)
     - 4)  Game is a DRAW (and will not be counted in the current standings and CANNOT be carried over).
    There will be no negotiation.  If you agreed to finish before the end of the season this is the criteria to determine the winner.  Period.

9 - Scoring/Playoffs
    The top four players, with the best winning percentages (Must complete at least 8 games) will advance to the playoffs.  
    If there is a tie between any players then the tie will be broken by:
    1 - head to head play
    2 - Total wins
    3 � strength of schedule � Player Z�s opponents winning percentage was 80%, Player A�s opponents winning percentage was 20%. Player Z advances.

The single elimination, playoff game default format will be a game setup of 41� w/ADS, N.O.'s, NO Tech, 14 VC, full bid placement.  If 4 or more players play 14 or more games a separate playoff schedule will be created for these players.

League Moderators
    DarthMaximus
    JWW

Bolded sections are the major changes from 2012.

Changed the games per opponent.  Went to three.  The previous rule of 2 (with potential tie-breaker games) was needed more when we scored by win %, in a points based system its not as much of an issue.

• @DarthMaximus:

I have 2 questions.

First, a big thumbs up on the rules and changes

#1) IC placement - you’re saying the IC would be placed during the first round of play, as opposed to before G1?

#2) On the scoring system - no minimum # of games played?  I guess that works out, because you can’t beat someone who’s 1-0 - they would become 1-1 and you would only get 6 points, not 10.
    Good enough - just asking to clarify….

So if you beat someone who ended the season 1-1 you would get 6 points.
    If you beat someone who ended the season 3-1 you would get 8 points.
    If you beat someone and that was their only game of the year (went 0-1) you would only get 1 point, no matter how good they are (Bold beat Zhuk in 2012 and that was Zhukov’s only game.  It would have been worth only 1 point!)

I understand the desire for simplicity, and recognize that a lot of these issues will tend to automatically balance out (sometimes a player will get a lot of points for an easy win, or very few points for a hard win), especially for players who would actually qualify to win the league (at least 8 games).  Also recognize that you don’t know how many games the player will end the year with, unless you’re starting the game late in the year…

I’m glad the playoffs are gone and you have a system for naming the winner that’s more than just straight win % and takes into account strength of schedule.  As we talked privately, I will continue to post my power rankings that will also serve all league players by making standings continuously updated, as well as having my just for fun PPG analysis.

Again, I’m a big fan of these changes - looking forward to 2013 league year starting tomorrow

• About the Bold/Zhukov example, though……

I know you guys want the system to inherently encourage players to play more games.

If I’m trying to get high in the standings or win, though, I would want to avoid playing a really good player who won’t play many league games (Zhukov is a prime example, or any other good player who’s transitioning to 1940 or not playing much anymore for whatever reason)… If I win, I will only get 1 point, but if I lose I will lose 3, and at best maybe I have a 50/50 shot at winning (for example)

but as long as really good players who just dabble in the league don’t have trouble getting a match with another good player, I guess there’s no harm.

I do have a suggestion, now that I think about it…  How about a minimum 3 points for a win?  So 0-29.9% win pct at end of year gets you +3.

@Gamerman01:

@DarthMaximus:

I have 2 questions.

First, a big thumbs up on the rules and changes

#1) IC placement - you’re saying the IC would be placed during the first round of play, as opposed to before G1?

No, that was for bidded ICs.  You can place at the end of rd 1 since it would have been there at the start of your turn.  I’m not looking to change any IC rules.  If you bid 15, use it on an IC, place on Aus.  You can place 2 units on Aus at the end of UK 1.  Just like a normal bought IC from the previous turn.

@Gamerman01:

@DarthMaximus:

#2) On the scoring system - no minimum # of games played?  I guess that works out, because you can’t beat someone who’s 1-0 - they would become 1-1 and you would only get 6 points, not 10.
    Good enough - just asking to clarify….

The minimum is still 8 games.  Rule 3.

–--------------------

Too late to look at changing the scoring.  Or Better yet, I’m too lazy  :-D  to do it now and doubt I’ll look at it tomorrow.

Correct, in you assesment of avoiding a “good” player who won’t play a lot, however, it doesn’t have to be a “good” player.  It will be a risk to play any player who might only play 1-2 games.  You beat them and they are 0-1, no matter how good they are if that is their only game you’ll get the minimum points. [Strategy Alert]  You are going to want to play players that have wins.  Its very hard to stay in the bottom tiers and almost impossible if you get just 1-2 wins.  Typically those that are winless don’t play that much and simply by geting 1 win you’d have to lose 10 straight to fall back into the bottom tier.  That is unlikely to happen.  Likewise any player that has 2 wins would have to lose 18 and they would still be at the 10% tier (2 pts).

• @DarthMaximus:

The minimum is still 8 games.  Rule 3.

I meant a minimum in calculating scores, not the minimum to qualify for the title, but….
    it doesn’t really matter

• Ziggurat (Allies +7) beat Vance (axis), who conceded after screwing up his G3 build after a costly sealion.

• @Vance:

Ziggurat (Allies +7) beat Vance (axis), who conceded after screwing up his G3 build after a costly sealion.

sorry wrong thread.

• '12

pretty cool new league rules…  who is running the g40 league, think they could follow suit?

• So you still cant play lowluck-games in the League?

Best

A couple of things.

I think we are going to nix the “minimum game” requirement (for AA50).  Obviously a lot of people are playing G40 now.

@yamamot0:

So you still cant play lowluck-games in the League?

Best

I’m fine with LL if both players agree before hand.

• @DarthMaximus:

3 - You must play at least 8 games against 5 different opponents.

You mean to be eligible to win the league, right?

Maybe this is contributing to the mass exodus from AA50 - some folks might think that to play a league game they must commit to playing 8 games against 5 different opponents!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m