• Sponsor

I have been a huge fan of Matthew Good from the first time I heard “Everything is Automatic” by the Matthew Good Band back when I was 25. I love all kinds of music, but I have been scrolling for his stuff a lot lately, especially his solo material. Here is a you tube link to a concert I attended in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada last year. The song is “Set Me On Fire” from his last album “Lights of Endangered Species”. Any other Matt Good fans here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ce4GsfN8w&feature=related

And Yes…. thats me howling like a groupie at the 1:35 mark, and yes… I was justifiably shushed by a fellow concert goer   :evil: I later saw an interview with him explaining that he doesn’t like that stuff… so next time I will refrain.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

My sister was an extra in his apparitions music video.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

Of course she was… being from Vancouver.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Matt Good is amazing. Funny you should mention it, I have been listening to him a lot lately. Didnt like the solo stuff at first, but warmed up to it bigtime more recently.

• Sponsor

Some of my Favorites solo tracks are:

Avalanche
    Champions of Nothing
    Metal Airplanes
    How it Goes
    Black Heicopters
    I’m a Window
    Set Me On Fire
    Born Losers
    Buffalo Seven
    In Love With a Bad Idea

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I am a big fan of the Hospital music record.

I would add to the list:

The Boy Come Home. (Just such a cool folky feel.)

Not as good but Moon over Marin has been stuck in my head for days this very week.

@MATT:

“Unemployment lines stretch to the desert and camoflouge Hotels
    Where traded up to new distinctions puts justice in your shells
    Take one for the team and that pretty lady used to cover Up the smell
    But when you get back boy you’re just crazy if you dare kiss And tell”

Love it!

• Sponsor

Moon Over Marin is the only track on a Matt Good album that is a cover, originally written by The Dead Kennedys. Good cover, but not his lyrics.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Interesting. I thought it was weird because Good is from Vancouver where Marin is a county in California.

… also those lines were from “The boy come home” not “Moon over Marin”

So credit still goes to Good.

• Sponsor

Wow, didn’t pay attention to it, I just assumed you were quoting Moon Over Marin, sorry about that. I guess we’re the only ones that appreciate his unique sound.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

hehe clearly.

I just bought “Vancouver” in light of you reminding me how awesome Matt Good is.

So far I dont like it as much as Hospital Music, but it hits home with a number of themes about the city.

• Sponsor

@Canuck12:

hehe clearly.

I just bought “Vancouver” in light of you reminding me how awesome Matt Good is.

So far I dont like it as much as Hospital Music, but it hits home with a number of themes about the city.

The best tunes on that album are:

Last parade
    The boy who could explode
    Us remains impossible
    Fought to fight it
    Silent army in the trees
    On nights like tonight

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I really liked silent army in the trees.

Reminded me of playing army men when I was a kid.

…And playing AA now that I am an adult.

• Sponsor

@Canuck12:

I really liked silent army in the trees.

Reminded me of playing army men when I was a kid.

…And playing AA now that I am an adult.

Try singing along to the lyrics…. you may appriciate it more.

• @Gargantua:

I loved that music video.It was my first time hearing any song by MG.

• Sponsor

I was watching the video for “everything is automatic” way back in 95, and I was waiting for the credit to see you sang it, because I liked the song a lot. when the display read “The Matthew Good Band” I remember cringing at such an awful name for a band …… now he’s my favorite artist.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Yeah, there is a little back story about the name of the band. Apparently the band had always intended to go to a member-neutral name but hadn’t got around to it by the time Last of the Ghetto Astronauts caught on nationally. I remember hearing an interview where Matt said at that point “You don’t look a gift-horse in the mouth.” They stuck with the name and apparently the ensuing ego-battle between members is part of what contributed to the eventual break up.

Originality of the name aside. I think history has shown that the name wasn’t exactly misrepresentative of the driving force behind the group. The best thing any of the former members could do afterwards was when Dave Genn joined 54-40 to fill in for  Phil Comparelli.

Also, I listened to silent army in the trees again. Heavy stuff….

• Sponsor

considering who had all the talent in the group, ya…… it was the right name.

• Sponsor

Just Bought my tickets to see Matthew Good at Massey Hall in Toronto November 1st… Awesome Artist, if you have the chance to see him this tour… you should.

He’s the best thing to come out of Vancouver since… Gargantua!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Noooo, that’s not true!

That’s IMPOSSIBLE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2sex1mJNI

Noooooooo!

• Canadian music is so weird.

More like Matthew BAD.  Amirite?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m