With this years league winding down, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on where we are going for 2013.

First the league rules will remain largely intact.  Games from this year can still carry over.  However the one major change we are making is we are altering the scoring system and eliminating the playoffs.

1 - Elimination of the playoffs.

We are doing this b/c it simply takes too much time in AA50.  Particularly with 4 players qualifying.  We are routinely crowning the champions in late summer or even fall of the next season and this is far too late.   This isn’t the fault of the players it is just that AA50 games can take a while to play and we’d like to crown the league champions much sooner.  We also intended for these “playoff” games to be followed and discussed, but it seems b/c they can take place so late players have already moved on to their next seasons games.

With the elimination of the playoffs that leads us to #2

2 - New scoring.

We will be using a point based system to crown the top three (gold, silver, bronze).  Win % doesn’t quite work in this case when you can have someone 6-2 or 9-3.  They’d have the same win % but who would be #1.  Plus there is the possibility to cherry pick opponents.

The scoring will be similar to the old Revised leagues, but a bit easier.  You will still be sorted by Win% but you will receive more points for beating better players.  So, you get
    10 pts if you beat someone who has a 90-100 win %
    9 for 80-89.9…

90-100 = 10 pts per win
    80-89.9 = 9
    70-79.9 = 8
    60-69.9 = 7
    50-59.9 = 6
    40-49.9 = 5
    30-39.9 = 4
    20-29.9 = 3
    10-19.9 = 2
    0.0-9.9 = 1

You will also lose 4 points per loss.

Yes, this system rewards players who play more games, and more specifically has more wins.  But one of the main focuses of the league is to encourage game play so we consider this a positive.  However, we will once again divide the league to major and minor, so it isn’t just those that play the most win.  The likely cutoff will be similar to this year: 8-12 (or 13) games for the minor league, 13+ (or 14+) for major.  Still working on last details.

Note:  Gamerman will still be doing his rankings and using a ppg dynamic to rate players.  But as always that would have no bearing on who would win the league.

A final byproduct of the new scoring/no playoffs is the league year can run longer.  So we can go until mid/late December.  The following year could then begin on Jan. 1

A final note:  Nothing changes for this year.  We are still doing the playoffs for both major and minor (top 4 in each) and uncompleted games can still be carried over.  But the new scoring will be used for any game completed after Nov. 1

And of course with this point based system, the final tally won’t be known until all games are completed for that season.  We will give in season snap shots like in previous years to see where things may fall.

We still may tweak a few things with the scoring, but you should get the idea.

All other rules are likely to stay pretty much as is.  Any other thoughts/ideas?

• So conceivably I could be -24 points if I lose six games again in the 2013 league?  :| Yeah, that’s real incentive to keep playing if a guy can’t catch a break and win a few. Losing 4 ppg may put a fire under my/someone’s butt to play better, but just because I play well doesn’t mean I necessarily win.

Anyway, -4 ppg = morale killer IMO.

• I believe that loosing points for losses is good, so that this is not only “the one that play more games win”. More than that, without any loss of points, you could loose several games against non dangerous opponent for the ranking, just so that the amount of points you provide to the people that have already beaten you is reduced.

But shouldn’t the amount of point be proportional to the percentage of the opponent too ? I mean, if a player win all of his games, that’s not the same loosing against him than against someone loosing all his games.

Because with such a point count, that might induce some border effect like “well, he is too good for me ; so if I get very lucky, I can win 8 or 9 points, but most certainly I will loose 4, so why should I play him ? And if we play three games, I won’t win 2 of them for sure, so I’m sure I will have no points from that one, let’s just play someone else”. League enable us to pick any opponent, but the opponent must agree. This is good because that enables to avoid problems like “I can’t bear this guy and we fight each time, needing some mod intervention”, but I believe that no other consideration than this one should make people not wanting to play someone else. Thus one should find a balance way to encourage people to play each other.

(and yes, that’s similar to the idea of Gamer).

Anyway, that’s just my two cents. I do not think I’ll play next year because of real life.

Yoshi

@The:

So conceivably I could be -24 points if I lose six games again in the 2013 league?  :| Yeah, that’s real incentive to keep playing if a guy can’t catch a break and win a few. Losing 4 ppg may put a fire under my/someone’s butt to play better, but just because I play well doesn’t mean I necessarily win.

Anyway, -4 ppg = morale killer IMO.

We needed some sort of balance to prevent the situation where someone could be 14-2 and someone else could be 16-16.  With no penalty the 16-16 person might win the league.  At least with a loss penalty that person would lose points for the 16 losses vs. only 2 losses for the other player.
    I agree it is a fine line, perhaps I’ll reconsider and go back to -3 (I was debating 3 or 4), but we will need some sort of balancing factor.

@Yoshi:

But shouldn’t the amount of point be proportional to the percentage of the opponent too ? I mean, if a player win all of his games, that’s not the same loosing against him than against someone loosing all his games.

I thought about, but went the easy route.  It was just easier to calculate.  I didn’t want the scoring to be too complicated.  Also…

@Yoshi:

Because with such a point count, that might induce some border effect like “well, he is too good for me ; so if I get very lucky, I can win 8 or 9 points, but most certainly I will loose 4, so why should I play him ? And if we play three games, I won’t win 2 of them for sure, so I’m sure I will have no points from that one, let’s just play someone else”. League enable us to pick any opponent, but the opponent must agree. This is good because that enables to avoid problems like “I can’t bear this guy and we fight each time, needing some mod intervention”, but I believe that no other consideration than this one should make people not wanting to play someone else. Thus one should find a balance way to encourage people to play each other.

This is a valid scenerio, but I also don’t want better players to outright avoid some struggling players.  With proportial points for losses, would an 8-2 player take a game with a 0-3 newcomer?
    The risk of a dicing on round 1 may make the better player shy away from playing people too far below him.  Why risk a bad G/J1 for what might only be a 1-2 pt win where a dicing could cost me 7,8,9 points at the end of the year.

Perhaps the solution to both of these would be to drop it to -3.  Now playing a better player (8 point example) means if you go 1-1 you end up +5 points.  Even going 1-2 means you end up with 2 points.

Alright, I think I sort of talked myself back into -3.  That would mean one win over any “winning” player (above 50%) would cover you for 2 losses at least.  So you could go 1-2 (if you beat a 50% player) you’d still be at 0.
    We used -2 for the second Revised season and had no issues, the reason for upping it to at least -3 was b/c in most cases it is going to be very hard for players to stay in the bottom.  What I mean by that is by simply winning one game during the year that player should never be in the 0-9 range b/c that would mean they lost 10 in a row (or 10 games).  A 1-9 record will get you to tier 2.  And to stay in tier 2 a player would need to be worse than 1-5 b/c at 1-5 you are already worth 3 pts in tier 3.  Likewise it is going to be hard to get 10 pts.  Even if you beat a player who is 9-1, that loss would drop them to 9-2 and out of the 10 point tier.  On avg most points given out for games are going to be between 3-8, so -3 sort of made the logical choice for losses.  -4 was probably too much.

• 2007 AAR League

Is this going to apply to a Global league as well because I’ve completely abandoned AA50.

@U-505:

Is this going to apply to a Global league as well because I’ve completely abandoned AA50.

Yes, there will likely be something similar.  There will probably be a different threshold for games played (minimum number games played) and maybe some minor tweaks but overall yes a simialr system will be used.

Unsticking to remve some of the clutter.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@DarthMaximus:

@U-505:

Yes, there will likely be something similar.  There will probably be a different threshold for games played (minimum number games played) and maybe some minor tweaks but overall yes a simialr system will be used.

It is my attempt to run the G40 league as close to the Anniversary league as possible.  With longer games, we have to lower the threshhold on games.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m