• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, but you are referring to all battleships, I was referring to only German/Japanese battleships.

I am starting to think more along the lines of each fleet having a special unit that is similar to what they could do in WWII.

ie:

• Germany/Japan have battleships that, when not damaged, attack at 5 or less
    • Italy/France have fast destroyers that attack at 2, defend at 1, move 3
    • America has super carriers that can carry 3 fighter/tactical bombers or 1 strategic bomber (because of that battle soon after Pearl where they launched, what was it, B17s? off an AC over Japan.)
    • England/ANZAC get improved shipyards technology as it is now - it just isn’t a technology, it’s what they get.

Since Italy/France rarely have ships ANYWAY and what they do have usually ends up being coral reefs for the fishes to live in at the bottom of the ocean, I don’t see they need anything, I just didn’t want to leave them out.  Could just leave their destroyers as is, but I could see a break out Italian destroyer making a run for Brazil being an issue for the Allies.  Maybe swap it so it’s ATT 1, DEF 2 that way it can snipe at enemy shipping.  The French one would probably be  that destroyer they start with by Africa racing to Australia or up to England as the player sees fit.  Dunno, that’s what makes it interesting.

Then nothing would need AA Guns.  Battleships for the axis would, essentially, have it built into their increased damage output.  Since America was heavily focused on carriers, USS Enterprise anyone? we’d give them a bonus there instead - and a good bonus too, imho.  England would make up for not having AA Guns on their ships by having cheaper ships - reflecting the reduced cost of not putting massive anti-aircraft screens on their oats.

• '17 '16

Do you ever read my post about carriers ?:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30262.0#new

You get some comparison between US carriers. It was based on 1942 carrier.

I don’t want to derail this post on AAA. We can discuss more about ships on that one about carriers.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

• Customizer

B25 Mitchell

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

B25 Mitchell

Thanks!
    But it was not easy to catch at first that you were responding to this question  :?:

@Cmdr:

• America has super carriers that can carry 3 fighter/tactical bombers or 1 strategic bomber (because of that battle soon after Pearl where they launched, what was it, B17s? off an AC over Japan.)
  • Customizer

@Baron:

@toblerone77:

B25 Mitchell

Thanks!
    But it was not easy to catch at first that you were responding to this question  :?:

@Cmdr:

It’s rare I get to correct a statement like that. I am totally against srat bombers on carriers however. Maybe an NO that once per turn a carrier may carry one strat bomber. US only.

• The b-17s you refer to we’re extremely modified, pilots spent much time training just for the takeoff, and in no way could they have landed

They also carried extremely light in weapons I believe

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

The b-17s you refer to we’re extremely modified, pilots spent much time training just for the takeoff, and in no way could they have landed

They also carried extremely light in weapons I believe

If we’re talking the Doolittle raid yes it was the twin-engine B-25 Mitchell, not the B-17 which was a four enginge bomber and far too large to ever be used in carrier flight. Almost all of thier weapons were stripped. They carried a light load, and lastly they made a fake gun port on the tail to fool Japanese interceptors that there was rear defensive aramament.

• Yeah 25s I meant lol
    And as far as “heavy carrier” is concerned, I don’t believe there was such a thing in WWII

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

Yeah 25s I meant lol
    And as far as “heavy carrier” is concerned, I don’t believe there was such a thing in WWII

Jets in post-war USA and Korea made the difference. Still you never saw or see large aircraft on carriers. our modern carriers now are built to handle the speed of jet aircraft. The size and cost eliminated most of the post war allies from owning them with few exceptions. The Harrier and various helicopters can operate on smaller Aircraft Carriers, but other than a few examples and exceptions the US dominates the large carrier business in the modern age.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m