• @Kreuzfeld:

@ErwinRommel:

mechs are vital, If I am doing a barbarossa, then germany buys 17-20 mechs on G2 and 10 on G3 and maybe 10 on G4.

I agree they are the reason tanks are dead.

You’ll regret buying only mec when your at moscows gates. I combine it so I have 50/50 mec and tank as Germany.
    Tanks far better on the offence than mec.

numbers of units is often more important than combat value, and my main plan for barbarossa is taking the oil, in which case they are perfect.

I dont go for moscow 6/7/8

I go for getting to rostov, taking the middle east while forcing the russians to stand in moscow, then I build arts in stalingrad, rostov and ukraine, and then I attack prolly arounbd round 10-11. difference is, I get the middle east oil much earlier and the mechs are perfect for that. taking stalingrad+cauc + perisa + iraq is worth 24 IPC

If I am going for moscow, then tanks might have a purpose, but I prefer buying 8 art on round 1, then mechs mechs and more mechs. then I can build arts in the ukriane and tank when its too late for arts

oh, and optimal ratio between fodder and punch is usually around 40%, so depending on how many inf/arts you have, 50/50 might be too many tanks for optimal attack capablities

With UK’s persia/egypt factories pumping units into the mix, the caucuses will be a slugfest.  When you delay on Moscow, this gives the allies more time to hammer Japan and to get in position to contest and eventually hold normandy/norway.

• 3 ipc aa guns…., well, that moves india/moscow defense into allies favor greatly.

• @ghr2:

3 ipc aa guns…., well, that moves india/moscow defense into allies favor greatly.

Don’t worry.  The rule’s not changing.

• Customizer

Why not allow AA guns to be used as ART in combat? Would make them useful.

• Well i like the mechanics of AA guns as they are now, i do not think it would make sense to let them attack along the same reasons that aircraft cannot land in a newly conquered territory.
    I do believe 5 is too much, but 3 i think would be too low.
    4 would be a better option OR keep them at 5 and let them roll up to 4 AA dice instead of 3.

Cruisers are second only to AA guns when it comes to rarely ever being bought and there being very few situations where one would buy one.
    And this flies in the face of WWII naval warfare.
    However i do not think the price should be lowered to 11, rather give them a second ability.
    BBs and CVs both have 2 abilities, DD and SS only have one but they are cheap.
    Let cruisers move 3 spaces regardless of naval bases (they would never move 4), or give them AA dice, or let them conduct ASW as DDs do now.

I think tanks are just right at 6 and i see plenty of pro players purchasing them in league and tournament games. At 5 they were be OP and over purchased.

I do find it hilarious that the OP bought a bunch of tanks right after starting a thread “TANKS ARE STILL DEAD RAWRR!”

And to the guy spamming mech inf, that is a horrible strat in so many ways :P

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

Well i like the mechanics of AA guns as they are now, i do not think it would make sense to let them attack along the same reasons that aircraft cannot land in a newly conquered territory.
    I do believe 5 is too much, but 3 i think would be too low.
    4 would be a better option OR keep them at 5 and let them roll up to 4 AA dice instead of 3.

Cruisers are second only to AA guns when it comes to rarely ever being bought and there being very few situations where one would buy one.
    And this flies in the face of WWII naval warfare.
    However i do not think the price should be lowered to 11, rather give them a second ability.
    BBs and CVs both have 2 abilities, DD and SS only have one but they are cheap.
    Let cruisers move 3 spaces regardless of naval bases (they would never move 4), or give them AA dice, or let them conduct ASW as DDs do now.

I think tanks are just right at 6 and i see plenty of pro players purchasing them in league and tournament games. At 5 they were be OP and over purchased.

I do find it hilarious that the OP bought a bunch of tanks right after starting a thread “TANKS ARE STILL DEAD RAWRR!”

And to the guy spamming mech inf, that is a horrible strat in so many ways :P

I still think it would be cool to see the AAA get a little more action offensively. When I first heard about the AAA I thought it was going to do something more than it did in previous editions. Additionally I think the “built in” AA that NB, IC and ABs have is an afterthought personally. Wish I’d have been a fly on the wall at the development of the AAA unit design.

• Good post, uncrustable, (and I agree with a lot of it) but I’m curious:

Why do you say submarines only have 1 special ability?

• Toblerone, I got the feeling that SEVERAL decisions made in the evolution of G40 2nd edition were “afterthoughts”  :-P  :|  :wink:  :-)

• @Gamerman01:

Good post, uncrustable, (and I agree with a lot of it) but I’m curious:

I guess i consider ‘being a submarine’ a single ability lol
    But i guess they do have both submerge and first strike that is 2. And then DDs cancel both maybe that could also be considered 2 abilities.
    Either way cruisers should have more than 1 (bombard)

Now here is something to consider helping out AA purchases: Get rid of ‘built in defense’ for bases/ICs
    I agree aswell it does seem like an afterthought. The AA units should represent an extensive network of radar and strategically placed AA batteries. They should cover the entire tt including any bases/ICs

So reduce AAA cost to 4 (or leave at 5 and increase AA dice to 4) and get rid of the built in AA of bases and ICs

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

@Gamerman01:

Good post, uncrustable, (and I agree with a lot of it) but I’m curious:

I guess i consider ‘being a submarine’ a single ability lol
    But i guess they do have both submerge and first strike that is 2. And then DDs cancel both maybe that could also be considered 2 abilities.
    Either way cruisers should have more than 1 (bombard)

Now here is something to consider helping out AA purchases: Get rid of ‘built in defense’ for bases/ICs
    I agree aswell it does seem like an afterthought. The AA units should represent an extensive network of radar and strategically placed AA batteries. They should cover the entire tt including any bases/ICs

So reduce AAA cost to 4 (or leave at 5 and increase AA dice to 4) and get rid of the built in AA of bases and ICs

Yeah I just feel like AAA units were going to be used differently and then something else was decided. I wouls venture to guess that somewhere in the devolpment phase they planned to have them operate like the Gemans used them in WWII and changed thier mind later.

• Duel purpose aa guns,  have each aa gun the ability to choose to shoot at either air, or mechs/tanks.

• Customizer

@ghr2:

Duel purpose aa guns,  have each aa gun the ability to choose to shoot at either air, or mechs/tanks.Â

Something like that. after they are “anti-aircraft artillery

• Customizer

Ahh well back on topic… I don’t think tanks are all that dead. I agree they aren’t the star they used to be. In all the games I play, which aren’t as many as I  would like, they are bought a lot still. If I had a huge gripe with a lot of the new rules, tanks probably wouldn’t be where I would start the edit fest.

• The AA guns in this game would not have the ability to shoot at ground units.

ALL grounds units have their own built in AA (else they wouldn’t be downing aircraft on a regular basis)
    The AA guns in this game are more a heavy static defense working in concert with dozens of radar installations and aircraft spotters, over a large area. They would not be able to ‘run and gun’ as do most units. They take too much time to setup.

I actually prefer the old AA mechanics, it seems like they were changed as a cheap/easy way to balance G40 and now they include the new AAA units as another way to entice customers.
    I really don’t like the IC/bases AA mechanics

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@toblerone77:

Ahh well back on topic… I don’t think tanks are all that dead. I agree they aren’t the star they used to be. In all the games I play, which aren’t as many as I  would like, they are bought a lot still. If I had a huge gripe with a lot of the new rules, tanks probably wouldn’t be where I would start the edit fest.

Tanks add significant punch / defense power to a stack. The problem is to be able to afford them. I place tanks on the UK minors since capacity is typically limited and mobility is valuable. In later German turns, I start adding 1 or 2 tanks a turn (and more if a tank purchase can force Russia to turtle down sooner with Allied air having no choice but to fly in and sit in Moscow)

• Would you rather be attacking with 10 tanks and 8 mechs or 16 tanks?

• Customizer

I think the combined arms element of the newer editions is pretty cool. The implementation of artillery alone has made the game more interesting. I’d rather have the new stats than go back to the old 2-3-2-5 formula. 2-3-3-6 isn’t all that bad but it does trim some tank purchasing down for the Allies IMO.

• I think mechs should be 2-1-1-3 but can be supported by either an armor or an arty for +1 attack. Still could blitz with armor at 1:1

I think arty should cost 5 but could support any ground unit (including armor excluding other arty) still at a 1:1

• @ghr2:

Would you rather be attacking with 10 tanks and 8 mechs or 16 tanks?

Don’t you mean NINE mechs??

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

I think mechs should be 2-1-1-3 but can be supported by either an armor or an arty for +1 attack. Still could blitz with armor at 1:1

I think arty should cost 5 but could support any ground unit (including armor excluding other arty) still at a 1:1

I’m thinking maybe we’re going to see some self-propelled artillery in the future. I think thers some merit to your proposal.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m